A new Trait Idea

promotions or traits?

I was thinking of splitting the traits xml anyways. if you can wait a week or so I'll release a modpack for it.

it will include the split traits, fixing the leaderheads to be as they are now but with the multiple traits, and the gametext files.

you guys can modify it after that ;)
:goodjob:
right on. that's cool. looking for something like that.

I like this idea, I think I will make it after I finish my Commanding Officers mod which is similar to this mod idea and I think the two mods will work very nicely together.

Commanding Officers is basically a new type of leaders, which add traits to your regular leader. But you can change these during the game (I'm thinking like 50 Turns between anarchy, too much, too little?) and they would pretty much only have militaristic traits, with some who don't.

Currently I'm making Commanding Officers for FfH with some additional stuff like a unit that represent it (and if it dies you lose his traits, etc) and alignment modification, etc.

The commanders will be able to have a tech requirement, religion requirement, civilization requirement and in FfH Alignment requirement.

I'm thinking about adding an ability like the Free Great People from being first to a tech, so that if you are first to a tech you get that Commander. Possibly combining the Great Generals with the Commanders. But I think I'd prefer them to be separate.

And I was already going to make the Commanders able to improve their traits, so this is already something I am going to code.

Woohoo! Thanks very much Grey fox :) There'll be a nice synergy between dynamic traits and commanding officers, as if you particularly wanted to follow a certain strategy but can't meet the prerequisites, the officers could help. Awesome.

My mod doesn't have disappearing or appearing traits (that's actually a pretty involved request for some aspects of traits), but I do have the negative traits (i.e. Vices) covered. The alpha release was supposed to be today but it has been pushed back to due to real life stuff.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=247762

Hi Moopoo,
I have read this thread w great interest, as I am hard at work in trying to develop a "Seafaring" trait for Vanilla Civ 4.
Please let me know what you think of this work so far.

<TraitInfo>
<Type>TRAIT_SEAFARING</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_SEAFARING</Description>
<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_SEAFARING_SHORT</ShortDescription>
<iHealth>0</iHealth>
<iMaxAnarchy>-1</iMaxAnarchy>
<iUpkeepModifier>0</iUpkeepModifier>
<iGreatPeopleRateModifier></iGreatPeopleRateModifier>
<iMaxGlobalBuildingProductionModifier>0</iMaxGlobalBuildingProductionModifier>
<iMaxTeamBuildingProductionModifier>0</iMaxTeamBuildingProductionModifier>
<iMaxPlayerBuildingProductionModifier>0</iMaxPlayerBuildingProductionModifier>
<ExtraYieldThresholds />
<TradeYieldModifiers />
<CommerceChanges />
<CommerceModifiers />
<FreePromotions>
<FreePromotion>
<PromotionType>PROMOTION_COMBAT1</PromotionType>
<bFreePromotion>1</bFreePromotion>
</FreePromotion>
</FreePromotions>
<FreePromotionUnitCombats>
<FreepromotionUnitCombat>
<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_NAVAL</UnitCombatType>
<bFreePromotionUnitCombat>1</bFreePromotionUnitCombat>
</FreePromotionUnitCombat>
<FreeUPromotionUnitCombat>
<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_AIR</UnitCombatType>
</FreePromotionUnitCombats>
</TraitInfo>
<FreePromotionUnitCombats />
</TraitInfo>

This is the XML for my proposed SEAFARING trait for vanilla Civ 4.

Only read most of the posts, so sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but if anyone tackles this (awesome) new trait idea, they should probably make sure that you don't get two of the same traits. For example, if I choose a leader who has Aggressive as the "set" trait and the other is this "adaptive" trait and I start attacking several of my neighbors, I don't want a second Aggressive trait because I don't think it would do anything.

Anyways, great idea, and I hope someone picks this up!

@Oldjacktar
If you're referring to the actual XML work, everything looks solid there, can't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

If you're referring to the what the trait actually does:

A combat bonus is a solid way to go. It is very similar to aggressive, but I don't think that's too big a problem.

I personally would go for something like an extra move and an extra first strike, but again, that's personal preference more than anything. Good work, keep it up :)

One thing I noticed there, there's a max anarchy tag for traits. Does anyone know whats the deal with that?

The max anarchy tag says the absolute maximum turns of anarchy.

For example, spiritual lists max anarchy as 0- so there is no anarchy.

You should really check out my xml. I make it so you get raiders if you pillage (low percentage), aggressive if you take over the last city of a civ.

Depending on the techs you learn. Etc.

You can't gain the same trait twice.

You can decline the trait if you want.

You have a chance to gain 2 traits.

You start with a trait that gives you negatives, and lose it once you gain a new trait.

This is a really cool idea, but wouldn't be exactly trivial to implement because currently the DLL gets civ traits straight out of the XML (if I remember correctly), so you'd basically have to change the entire trait system.

I wrote that XML code so that it would integrate right into the game at the XML level, by simply "Inserting" a recoded "TRAIT' blank from the "BAREBONES" mod pack in the WARLORDS MODS DIR.
As far as it goes- I have been thinking about it some more. I agree that giving an extra move to the naval is a good idea.I also think that if I knew HOW to do it, I would allow 2 other things in this trait.
1. Allow CARAVELS and SUBMARINES to carry ANYTHING, (except air or naval.) A Caravel or Submarine could still enter territorial waters, but would have to watch what was onboard to do so. If you have your Great Merchant aboard, fine, but a Horse Archer, say, might be starting a war.
2. Allow all combat units that are carried on the ships of a seafaring power to temporarily assume the "AMPHIBIOUS" promotion WHILE THEY ARE ONBOARD. (After the troops have landed they loose the amphibious rating.)
Also- the revised XML would look something like THIS then...
(If I apply the proposed MOVEMENT and DRILL promotions.)

<TraitInfo>
<Type>TRAIT_SEAFARING</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_SEAFARING</Description>
<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_TRAIT_SEAFARING_SHORT</ShortDescription>
<iHealth>0</iHealth>
<iMaxAnarchy>-1</iMaxAnarchy>
<iUpkeepModifier>0</iUpkeepModifier>
<iGreatPeopleRateModifier></iGreatPeopleRateModifier>
<iMaxGlobalBuildingProductionModifier>0</iMaxGlobalBuildingProductionModifier>
<iMaxTeamBuildingProductionModifier>0</iMaxTeamBuildingProductionModifier>
<iMaxPlayerBuildingProductionModifier>0</iMaxPlayerBuildingProductionModifier>
<ExtraYieldThresholds />
<TradeYieldModifiers />
<CommerceChanges />
<CommerceModifiers />
<FreePromotions>
<FreePromotion>
<PromotionType>PROMOTION_NAVIGATION1</PromotionType>
</FreePromotion>
<FreePromotion>
<PromotionType>PROMOTION_DRILL1</PromotionType>
</FreePromotion>
</FreePromotions>
<FreePromotionUnitCombats>
<FreepromotionUnitCombat>
<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_NAVAL</UnitCombatType>
<FreeUPromotionUnitCombat>
<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_AIR</UnitCombatType>
</FreePromotionUnitCombats>
</TraitInfo>
<FreePromotionUnitCombats />
</TraitInfo>

Which I THINK might have a PROBLEM in that I see no way for the game to distinguish between what kind of unit that I am giving which promotion to. It MIGHT end up with it giving BOTH promotions to BOTH classes of units.
I'm not sure how to resolve this. One of the reasons for using just the one type of promotion in the trait as I originally wrote it was for the ease of simplification in sorting out just this issue.
Please respond.

And while I did not say so earlier, this effort at a "Seafaring" trait of mine goes further.
I also envision a new Civilization to go with it. They would be the PIRATE nation.
I propose that the PIRATE civilization be FORMALLY known as "The Brethren Of The Coast",
(Referred to informally as "the Pirates!" or maybe the "Pirate Nation".)
The LEADERHEAD would be Gov. Sir Henry Morgan (Yes, that's right, Morgan the Pirate, from his later years as the Governor of Jamaica.)
I envision that the preferred form of GOVERNMENT would be ANARCHY, (& YES, I KNOW that the rules would have to be SERIOUSLY tinkered with to do that...)
I also envision a special UNIQUE UNIT to go with as well.
The BUCCANEER.
Buccaneer's would replace MUSKETMEN.
STRENGTH 9, MOVEMENT 1
(Special Movement rule.)
If unit is within 2 tiles of the COAST, OR if the unit is ADJACENT to an INLAND WATER TILE (river, lake, inland sea), then unit has MOVEMENT 2.
Buccaneers also start with the COMMANDO promotion, (allowing them free use of enemy roads.).
Again, input on this is most welcome!

Top Bottom