Building Made Fun!

@I_qua_I

Oops, sorry. I won't have access to my civ5 installation for some days, but you can easily edit the XML file (there's only one in the Petra mod folder). Just change the line: <Hill>true</Hill> to: <NearbyMountainRequired>true</NearbyMountainRequired>. The ingame text is in that file as well. It could also be only the text is wrong? Can't check now.

Nevermind, it seems fine. I may have just been playing your mod at the same time.

Yes. I disliked the tech from the moment I saw it; it just doesn't fit in with the real technological milestones. And I'm a tree hugger.
From your surprise/disapproval I suspect something may be wrong with your mod installation: trading posts are moved to pottery and camps to archery, so nothing should be "lost".

As for the new patch: though it looks good to me, it also presents alternatives for improvements I implemented. As I am conservative (don't change something that already works unless with good reason), that probably means I'll be scrapping a number of this mod's features, even if I liked my own ideas better. The new buildings, tech tree (and sufficient other stuff) will of course remain. Still, I don't have a good feeling about undoing some of my work. In order not only to remove stuff, I'll probably add negative food to a few buildings, because the health system now consists only of bonusses (+5 :c5food: from hospital?!).

From your surprise/disapproval I suspect something may be wrong with your mod installation: trading posts are moved to pottery and camps to archery, so nothing should be "lost".

That could be it. For me the tooltips still say trapping is required for camps, hence I was stuck with unworkable tiles.

Deleting the mod, clearing the cache (iirc "Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache") and redownloading worked for others; you may try that. Thanks for playing :)

One idea for your mod : including Barbarians! Mod into your pack

What about futuristic buildings ?

You could take a small fictive world with 10 Civs and 8 city-states...

Had a look at Barbarians! and it does seem very interesting. It also seems compatible; I barely change anything to units, so the pre-install requirement is not applicable for my mod I think. As such, integration is not necessary. I'll try it on my earth map adaptation, thanks for the tip :)

Futuristic buildings is not something I will do. New game concepts would need to be introduced, otherwise it becomes a matter of "more and bigger". I think currently the cities can grow powerful enough already at the end of the game.

As you suggest, a separate future era mod/scenario could be interesting. A modern world facing catastrophes (maybe even leading to a world-wide collapse of civilization), with new tools (techs, policies etc) for the player to overcome them. Or be destroyed by those who can. Could even be an optional new era to normal games. Nice for brainstorming, but I have no plans (and at this point: knowledge!) for making something like that in the near future ;)

Moriboe are you planning a new version of this MOD. With the new patch out I fear that some of your buildings might be overpowered.

I have my concerns with the Noria especially since Hospitals and such provide +food now.

If not is there a way I can change the Noria growth to something less without having to install MODbuddy.

Yes, I am planning a new version, but it will come earliest next week.

I completely agree with the Noria, it was even overpowered before. I mistakenly thought that 35% was for surplus food, not all food! Took me some time to notice, but nobody complained before :)
To change it go to oldBuildings/foodGP.xml and replace the 35 with 10 (or anything else to your liking) and same for the Floating Gardens (insane!) in following entries:

Spoiler :
<Row>
<BuildingType>BUILDING_WATERMILL</BuildingType>
<YieldType>YIELD_FOOD</YieldType>
<Yield>35</Yield>​
</Row>
<Update>
<Set Yield="50"/>
<Where BuildingType="BUILDING_FLOATING_GARDENS"/>​
</Update>

and for the text info:

<Update>
<Set Text="+35% [ICON_FOOD] Growth.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]City must be built next to a River or Lake."/>
<Where Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WATERMILL_HELP"/>​
</Update>

<Update>
<Set Text="+50% [ICON_FOOD] Growth. Each worked Lake tile provides +2 [ICON_FOOD] Food.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]City must be built next to a River or Lake."/>
<Where Tag="TXT_KEY_BUILDING_FLOATING_GARDENS_HELP"/>​
</Update>

Sorry for this. A new update will come...
Plans include:
  • New techs: Sanitation, Clergy, Sacred Architecture (more generic than "pointed arch" or something), Perspective
  • Buildings: Qanat, Public Baths, Cathedral/Mosque/Pagoda/Stepped Pyramid, Art Academy, Hanseatic League, Blue Mosque
  • Resource Changes will be revoked, food and production buildings reviewed
Thanks for the support :)

New version is up! This update mainly just streamlines the mod for the March patch. But as you can read in the previous post, new stuff will come after all. Eventually.

Special thanks to ambrox62 because I stole some of his work. His high quality wonders never cease to amaze me, check them out!

I didn't feel like editing the OP a lot, so I just threw most stuff out. Press F6 ingame to review the changes ;)

There you go...
When hovering, the Sun is shining - more!

Attachments

• BMF_base.png
    BMF_base.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 350
  • BMF_glow.png
    BMF_glow.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 350
i have still not the 1.217 patch cause macintosh, but i follow the evolution of your modpack...

My two suggestions :

1) I think you will merge your Earth Map with your mod, i'm full of hope for that...

2) Like Pc and Mac versions are still not synchronized, i suggest you keep for download the two version...

1.217 macintosh patch is still to come but if PC version has a new patch called by example 1.258...

You could by example the last 1.217 version for Mac Users and 1.258 for PC version...
No problem to run 1.217 since both versions use the same files...

Your map by example i was able to run it...

Like that mac civers could play your mod, even its not the latest version...

As long it has no dll or sql no problem so far i believe...

This is a cool mod but i got a question. I was building the petra? is that wut its called?? anyways the city state Gaza (thanks to not another citystates mod) built it before I did?

I've never seen a city state build a wonder does your mod make that possible?

@Lachlan:

1) The two are perfectly compatible; you can have both active at the same time. But some people might want to play the earth map without this mod, so this way they can. I test the combination before updating my stuff, so each new version of either mod will always be compatible.

2) The downloads database here on CFC has only the last version, but in the ingame mod browser you can select previous versions. So you can download and play the version from before the March patch or even before the December patch, no problem.

@Rowzdower:

Thanks :) Yes, the new wonders, including Petra, can be built by city states. This is an oversight on my behalf. I hadn't seen it happening myself (or heard of it, until now of course), so I took no steps to prevent it. I'll add some extra XML in the next version so this can't happen again. Thanks for letting me know!

Hi,

I started a game last night using your mod, and am really enjoying it.

One minor thing, though. After choosing a social policy (I forget which one) that was supposed to award a free culture building in my first four cities, it didn't seem to work quite right.

At the time, I only had one city, and it already had a Monument built in it. Well, after choosing the above social policy, I did not get a free culture building in my one city.

When I eventually built a second city, though, it did successfully come with a free Monument. This leads me to believe that either (1) the label on the social policy needs to be changed to say you'll get a free Monument in your first four cities, or (2) the mod needs to be revised so that if you already have a Monument, you'll instead get another culture building for free.

Does this sound like a doable solution?

It's the Legalism policy. This policy was changed in the March patch; I didn't touch it in the mod. It awards a free culture building if available.

So in your case for the capital none was available, as it had a monument and you didn't have philosophy yet. If you did have philosophy, the capital would have recieved a temple. The next three cities you found will still get a monument. So it can be a trick to delay picking this policy until all four cities have monuments, so they all get temples (or even better...). I can add the "if available" line to the description for clarity.

Thanks for playing & giving feedback! :)

I am interested in finding out what other Civ-5 mods are compatible with your Building Made Fun mod pack.

For instance, I was recently able to successfully complete a game using just the following additional mods: Atilla Mods, Capitol Railroad Boost, Custom Notifications, and What Would Ghandi Do (WWGD).

However, when I next tried a game by cramming in the following additional Wonder mods, my game kept randomly crashing: Flavian Amphitheatre, Panama Canal, Platonic Academy, Solomon Temple, Golden Pavilion, Seven Ancient Wonders, Sphinx, Totem, Three Gorges, Tower of Babel, Parthenon, and Pergamon Altar.

Well, I removed the Parthenon and Pergamon Altar mods, but that didn't stop the random crashing, so at least one of the other Wonder mods must be causing the problem.

Would you possibly know which other mods are known to be safe to add, especially Wonder mods?

Thanks in advance.

I could expect the game not loading (properly) due to conflicts, but random crashes are strange. Though I've had a few myself in the past upon meeting a city state, I still don't know what caused them.

I haven't tried much other mods for compatibility, but I know Moaf's Cultural Capitals mods is compatible (at least the version I tried), the City State Diplomacy mod (forgot exact name) and probably Play With Me (loaded fine...).
For wonders I'll have a look. I'll change the XML tags of imported work in order to reduce chance of conflicts in the next version. Probably in 1-2 weeks.

Top Bottom