Questions about paratroopers...

Don't if this has been discussed already, but..

I love paratroopers, it's perhaps my favorite non-UU unit. Wars in modern era become interesting with them: can be dropped behind ennemy lines, pillage roads, commercial routes, strategic resources, etc.
Also, their range has been increased to 9 tiles, and the animation with the plane is the coolest ever (would have prefered a C-47 instead!)
AI builds them, but it seems that it's not able to use them properly, I mean by dropping them in ennemy territory. At least I never saw this action in my games.

Do the AI really know to use these units?

And, a funny thing: in late game, it's possible to meet barbarian paratroopers. Since they don't have any territory to be launched from, their ability is quite useless.

Don't if this has been discussed already, but..

I love paratroopers, it's perhaps my favorite non-UU unit. Wars in modern era become interesting with them: can be dropped behind ennemy lines, pillage roads, commercial routes, strategic resources, etc.
Also, their range has been increased to 9 tiles, and the animation with the plane is the coolest ever (would have prefered a C-47 instead!)
AI builds them, but it seems that it's not able to use them properly, I mean by dropping them in ennemy territory. At least I never saw this action in my games.

Do the AI really know to use these units?

And, a funny thing: in late game, it's possible to meet barbarian paratroopers. Since they don't have any territory to be launched from, their ability is quite useless.

Barb units generate based on the tech of nearby Civs, last I checked, so they might have spawned while paratroopers were the most recent tech unlock and therefor the barbs must generate them to keep up with the civs.

I've seen the AI use them before as well, but only once. I rarely go to war except in some games (my China warmonger game shall soon conquer the Zulu-Celt alliance!), so I assume they've done it more and I've just not seen.

The AI has an extremely tenuous grasp of tactics at the best of times... I don't expect them to figure out all the merry kinds of hell you can wreak with paratroops.

Probably for the best, really.

sure- I've had the AI paradrop paratroopers / XCOM squads pelnty of times .. They don't ussually go for sabotage (pillage that lone uranium/aluminium mine) - they will usually paradrop around a city and try to capture it ..

well if the AI cant use its navy well, dont expect it to master the art of backstab with paras

Top Bottom