Land of the Rus

How big is the Ottomon Empire? You need to make sure they dont get so big that they collapse soon after some conquests, which would mean you wouldn't be able to steal any techs.

They aren't too big, since Arabia is very large, though I have played a little ahead and I can tell you that there will be some signicant changes in the Middle East.

After Finland surrendered to USSR in 1944 it fell under USSR, During the 50s however it left the USSR. So it was under USSR control for 10 years

No offence, but you should check your facts before you post something like that.

I.Am.So.Offended. :joke:

I think somebody is confusing alt-history with real history.
He does have a point though. Finland was trying very hard to be neutral in the Cold War and had a strong avoidance of anti-Soviet stances post-war, enough to do this (wikipedia says):
In politics, there was a tendency of avoiding any policies and statements that could be interpreted as anti-Soviet. This phenomenon was given the name "Finlandisation" by the German press (fi. suomettuminen). Self-censorship vis-à-vis anything negative associated with the Soviet Union was prevalent in the media. Public libraries pulled from circulation thousands of books that were considered anti-Soviet, and the law made it possible for the authorities to directly censor movies with supposedly anti-Soviet content. Asylum-seeking Soviet citizens were frequently returned to the Soviet Union by the Finnish authorities.

I think somebody is confusing alt-history with real history.
He does have a point though. Finland was trying very hard to be neutral in the Cold War and had a strong avoidance of anti-Soviet stances post-war, enough to do this (wikipedia says):

I totally agree with you about Finland "being neutral". Personally i think that Finland's policy during cold war was close to idiotic and i think that they were actually acting like they were allies to soviet union.
But however Finland never surrender, we did lost the war (okay slightly) but we didn't surrender to Soviet Union.

After Peter the Great had died the throne was passed on to Peter III. However, Peter III was assasinated by tatar militants and his wife claimed the throne to herself. She was crowned Catherine II.

During her age Russia evolved quickly and became a true superpower. New technologies were acquired by any means necessary and improvements were made constantly. Catherine also formed diplomatic relationships with the United States.

Meanwhile Russia continued to expand. The settlers from Siberia reached Magadan Oblast and some continued their journey towards the Kamchatka Peninsula.

In 1787 Catherine finally persuaded the Polish people to join the Russian Empire. However, the Spanish army was able to beat Russia to Berlin.

In 1802 a World Congress was held at Delhi. Although the congress was in India it was set up by Ming Tai Zu the emperor of China. He fiered the growing Russian influence in Asia and arranged the congress in order to challenge that.

However, Ming Tai Zu's plans didn't work out as he planned. He suggested that the city Vladivostok should be assigned under China's control, but the european nations didn't want to interfere with Asian matters they abstained from voting. Therefore the suggestion wasn't passed as only China and her puppet state of Khmer voted in favor of it and Russia and Mali voted against it.

Conviniently the Russian demands to hand over the Japanese outpost of Fuyori were quickly dismissed by the same syndicate as the European Powers once again abstained.

However, when Turkey boldly suggested to take control of Budapest, Ming Tai Zu got what he wanted. The vote wasn't even a close as Turkey, China, Khmer and Spain voted in favor of it and only Russia and Mali against it. It quickly dawned on Catherine that Ottomans and China had planned this forehand. Naturally Russia refused the arrogant Ottoman demands and Ottomans answered by declaring war on Russia. However, after the declaration the Ottoman Caliph turned to Ming Tai Zu in order to get some support from him as that was clearly the plan, but Ming Tai Zu turned away and stayed quiet. He had decieved the Ottomans and his worst rivals were now at war with eachother and there nothing left for him to do there. The Russo-Turkish War had begun.

Spoiler :
Funny historical fact: there has been 12 Russo-Turkish Wars. :lol:

Your Turkish problem could have been easily solved if you had captured Istanbul 300 years ago.
BTW, it's MUCH easier to colonize the entire Siberia once you have the techs (communism, steam power, nationalism) to do it (they also grow much quicker because workers are faster). Once in the past, I doubled the size of Russia after I built the Apollo Program in the early 1800's, just to keep my economy growing to prevent from being unstable until 1950.

8 of those wars were won by Russia, 2 draws and 2 Turkish wins. That means only a 1/6 chance of a loss!

Also, do you intend to settle Alaska?

Your Turkish problem could have been easily solved if you had captured Istanbul 300 years ago.
BTW, it's MUCH easier to colonize the entire Siberia once you have the techs (communism, steam power, nationalism) to do it (they also grow much quicker because workers are faster). Once in the past, I doubled the size of Russia after I built the Apollo Program in the early 1800's, just to keep my economy growing to prevent from being unstable until 1950.

What Turkish problem?? :)
They have been rather helpful suplying me with techs that anyone else has.

That's one way to do it, but if you colonise Siberia later, those cities won't have time to evolve as they do know with slavery and OR. And I have had communism for almost a hundred years now. Levees and faster workers will definetly help and biology even more, but I have enough workers to chop all that Siberian wood into production. Also the Vladivostok spot won't be available in 1800s.

I am not trying get Apollo Program ASAP, if I tried that I would choose a whole different strategy (mainly taking Greece and great Germany spots early, maybe France too). Once in the past was probably a different patch?

8 of those wars were won by Russia, 2 draws and 2 Turkish wins. That means only a 1/6 chance of a loss!

Also, do you intend to settle Alaska?

Yep, you are right.:lol: The ottomans don't seem that scary to me. Probaly not since it wasn't a part of USSR, but you never know..

Alaska should be settled, after all its an important part of Russian history

Ming Tai Zu win

I believe it is Russian Empire now, it becomes USSR only after you use the correct civics.

Once in the past was probably a different patch?
Actually I just tried that with the much harder mod by Corossol.
It's actually better to found those cities later because if you build the 3 Gorges Dam and get a factory going in each of your cities, your new cities will have more infrastructure very quickly. Also, later resources like Aluminum and oil help quite a bit.
Raze a city or 2 and you can found your own cities. (I thought the Russians founded those cities in the mid 1800's)

Yep, you are right.:lol: The ottomans don't seem that scary to me. Probaly not since it wasn't a part of USSR, but you never know..

One of Russia's greatest ambitions was to control the Bosporus Strait, so it wouldn't too anti-historical to conquer Turkey. Great story by the way.

Actually I just tried that with the much harder mod by Corossol.
It's actually better to found those cities later because if you build the 3 Gorges Dam and get a factory going in each of your cities, your new cities will have more infrastructure very quickly. Also, later resources like Aluminum and oil help quite a bit.
Raze a city or 2 and you can found your own cities. (I thought the Russians founded those cities in the mid 1800's)

Perhaps, but I was also aiming at the UHV. Brjanks and Vladivostok were my 6th and 7th cities in Siberia. And if you are creating a giga-empire razing cities is nono.;)

EDIT: BTW, I recommend the Corossol's mod RFCC to everybody! It's really great and a little bit harder as well. It has some new features too.

Top Bottom