Great General saves the day - Vote 1 President!

astrodog

Chieftain
I'm Sumeria, peacemongering away, a long border with Shaka in about 1000AD, my civ is a coastal strip, a long chain of cities. Knowing Shaka is there, my military is reasonably strong. But the bugger attacks at one far end of my empire at Kish, with a SoD of catapults/swordsmen and immortals....
My troops are mobilised to reinforce, but will take several turns (gee I miss railroads) to get there, so the defenders bunker down (2 or 3 longbows (thankfully), 2 vultures, a spearman). The cats reduce defences to zip, then we take a heap of collateral damage. Units all down 1-3 strength, big trouble.... I think I would have lost the city without the PRO trait.
Then appears George Zhukov, the Great General, smack in downtown Kish! So in one turn every unit takes a bunch of promos (all defensive!) and are back to near full strength..... then my reinforcements start arriving and kick him out. Then I went to bed!
Thankfully I've managed to gift Victoria in attacking him from his rear!
I've never had to think less about what to do with a GG before! :)

I would call it more a "Moscow," since General Georgy Zhukov single handedly (excluding of course his meagre army) defended Moscow from attack, and then the Russian's reserve forces crushed the Germans into submission.

The funny thing is, I get REALLY upset when all of a sudden a crippled AI defense is suddenly near fully healed and beats me off, when I should have taken them out the next turn.... I wonder if a GG appeared for them too??

I happens to me. Just watch for them to say "A GG is born!" Whenever they do that, either launch an all out assault or retreat. All out assault to kill them before they can use GG, and retreat to let them waste their promos and advantage against weakened units while picking up reinforcements/attacking another city while bottling them up. :D Very very lucky break though. did you have colosses/GLH, or why did you settle all the way along the coast?

Basically I'm boxed in, Shaka to the North with Victoria, Frederick to the East on a Small Pangea. No resources of use towards Shaka (just jungle), but heaps of food/copper/iron/fish/fur/gold/silver etc along the coastal strip. I hate long strips, too hard to mobilise stacks, or need to leave troops scattered too thinly.

Plan now is to get a cease fire and build a stack to take at least a border city or two.....

I would mobilize a stack and punch a hole 2 city-wide hole in his side, then dig through his innards until you capture his capital. Then you can vassalize him, probably, and you won't have to worry about resources anymore.

1. Enter Worldbuilder.
2. Give yourself Nukes.
3. Fire said nukes.
4. ????
5. Profit.

No fun in that!

It was fun though nuking Huyana to the stone age the other night. Funny, I had nuked and pillaged all of his towns to size 1, he still wouldn't even offer peace, let alone capitulate!

I was playing a game on the Byzantines when I was newer at the game (it was on like, chieftain or something :p). Now, this was a long time ago and I found the save recently - Here was me, one of 3 powers on a continent, with two continents on either side. And it looks like I successfully intercontinentally invaded 3 people! The Babylons, Vikings, and Egyptians. I was screwing around, so I entered wb and gave myself 100 nukes - then alt declared on everyone, and then everyone thus became my vassals 4 turns later after I plastered every city with 4 nukes.

Top Bottom