(ROM) Rise of Nationalist Rome

A1CBOZ

Prince
Hey all. I haven't been on this forum in a LOOONG time but recently came back after I decided to boot up Civ 4 again. (I'm too broke for CiV). So I started playing again and I quickly found regular BTS to be kinda... boring.... then started playing RFC which I always thought was kinda cool but then I found the mod Rise of Mankind. I am in love. My very first game, I started as Rome... got conquered by barbs:blush:. But I got to switch to the Greeks and had a great time with the game. I never actually finished cause I wanted to try a new game with Rome. This game is where my story comes from. I know a story based off a Rome game isn't exactly hard to come by on here but I'm having a lot of fun with the game so I decided hey why not?

Most of the story will probably be in a text book/encyclopedia format but I may change it up some. Who knows?

Preface- A Brief History of Rome

No one is in complete agreement on what events directly contributed to the declaration of the Nationalist Roman Imperium, or more commonly the Roman Empire. But nearly all historians agree that the “Quiet Revolution” of 1680 was the point of no return. After the rise of the Nationalists, wars of expansion and the eventually coronation of the Imperator were inevitable. But if we are to understand how the Empire came to be, we must first, briefly look at the Republic that preceded it.

The City of Rome was settled on the banks of the Tiber River in approximately 6000 BC. These early Romans were likely herders and farmers that formed a community merely to benefit each other through trade and mutual protection. The Roman City State grew and eventually tamed the wilderness to the south, founding the cities known today as Cumae and Antium. As the nation expanded the early Romans chose for themselves a king, or Caesar. All power was invested into the individual as he was supposedly put into place by the gods. Soon the Kingdom discovered that they were not alone in the world and good relations were quickly established with the German and Hittite peoples of in the West. However not everyone was so quick to befriend the Roman Kingdom. To the east, a band of barbarians lived in the Chehalis Plain and from the outset were entirely hostile to Rome.

Soon it was discovered that taking a metal known as copper and blending it with other metals to create bronze, Roman smiths could create new weapons, trinkets and idols to the gods (as at the time the teachings of Zoroaster were spreading throughout the Kingdom). However it was soon discovered that there were only minor veins of copper in the borders of Rome and without a large steady supply, Caesar knew that Rome would be vulnerable to outsiders and barbarians. Caesar learned that the Hittites had built the city of Kanesh on what was thought to be the only major source of copper in the world, and knowing that Rome needed this metal, war was soon declared and the first Roman legions, armed with spears, clubs and bows, marched west securing the city and the precious metal. If the Caesar would have stopped his conquest there or not is still an unresolved debate to this day, however the king’s hand was forced when the barbarian tribes of Chehalis reorganized themselves into the Carthaginian City State and invaded Rome. Peace was made with the Hittites and the legions marched back west to Rome only to find the new city of Neopolis overrun by the barbarians. The region was quickly retaken and the entire Chehalis region was conquered with the help of the new weapons made from the metal seized in the west.

These two successful wars, combines with the spread of the Zoroastrian religion, are thought to be the beginnings of Rome’s unwritten philosophy of preemptive wars for the good of Rome. Over the next several centuries Rome followed that philosophy and eventually annexed the Hittites and, with the discovery of iron working, subjugated first the Zulu and then the Iroquois people. The vassalization of the Iroquois League will always be remembered as Rome’s first ‘Holy War’ when the Caesar declared war in an effort to stop the spread of Hinduism and culminated in the sacking of the Hindu Holy City, whose name has now been lost.

As the Roman nation expanded and maps were re-drawn, the people began to wonder how one man, even one hand picked by the gods, could rule such a large expanse of land. Caesar was forced to give in to the demands of the people and formed a senate body that truly ran the nation, while the title of Caesar became a mere figurehead. The change to republicanism caused a rift in relations with most other kingdoms on the continent specifically Germany to the west, and the Maya in the far north tundra. The Germans were thought to be the bigger concern since at the time they shared a much larger border with Rome and had a comparable military, and the Maya were far to the north with the Zulu and Iroquois in between. However, by the 1300s Tensions with the Maya were beginning to cool and Roman focused more on the western border. But despite the overtures of friendship and pledges of peace, Pacal II sent an army south to invade the Republic. The Maya used their open border treaties with the Roman vassals to simply march their forces to the border of the Republic and invade without warning. The Maya, confident in their numbers of heavy swordsmen, knights and siege engines were certain that the Republic could quickly be brought to its knees. They laid siege to Oneida falsely believing that the entire Roman army was on the German border. However to the south a new army had been formed and marched to react to the Mayan invasion. Though smaller than the invading army, the Romans had one major advantage. Roman scientists had discovered gunpowder. The Mayans were soundly defeated and forced to retreat back to their homeland with the Roman harquebusiers and bombards marching behind them. After one enormous battle which ended with destruction of most of the Mayan army, Pacal capitulated to Roman rule. For over a thousand years the Republic had stood firm and became the single most powerful country in the world. Then in the early 1600s the winds of ultra-nationalism began to blow.

Screenshots would be nice.

Also, I think someone should make a story about the Khmer. They are woefully underappreciated! :(

Mosher; I will have screenshots don't worry. I just didn't have any for the preface because I wasn't planning to write a story about it until after the 1600s began.

Yoshi; It's just RoM. Is a New Dawn any good?

I should have chapter 1 ready tomorrow or Monday!

I havn't tried out the original RoM, but A New Dawn add's onto RoM2 by addings things like usable mountains and advanced diplomacy. I don't think it removed anything from RoM2.

Only problem is that it takes 10 minutes to turn on (for me anyway) and I crash sometimes due to leader head diplomacy straining my video card...or something like that

Yoshi. You should make your next story a ROM of Khmer!!!! !! ! !! ! !1! 1!!11!!

On a more serious note..

I don't have anything serious to say, I'm sorry. :(

On a more serious note..

NO THAT MIGHT BE MY NEXT STORY

I like how this Story gets right down to the point and basically timeskips ahead to its most interesting part. A 1680s Roman empire.

Chapter 1 The Nationalists Take Power

The people of the Republic had always loved their country. Nationalism was embraced in Rome and even in the various vassal states. However the 1600s saw the rise of what are now called the ‘ultra-nationalists’. These Senators and governors preached a political doctrine of state above all else, above self, above family, above even the gods. To see why the ultra-nationalists, and their Nationalist Party, rose to power one must follow a chain of events that begins not in the Republic, but in her neighbors.

To the west Germany was on the verge of another civil war, this time against rebel groups claiming to be of the lineage of the long forgotten Hittite peoples. In an effort to appease the rebels, Germany created a buffer state between Rome and Munich, calling this puppet the Hittite Kingdom. Rome immediately protested this ‘rouge nation’, but the Kaiser wouldn’t budge and Rome was unwilling to risk a war over the offence. In the east, Sumeria and her Assyrian fiefdom had been fighting a brutal war against the French for over a century. Finally in 1625, Paris fell to the invaders and the French king capitulated to Sumeria. Seemingly surrounded by possible enemies, the Nationalist Party started to gain traction in the Senate, particularly with the hard line, pro-military officials which advocated a return to Rome‘s former strategy of preemptive attack.

As the 1600s progressed, news reached Rome from across the oceans that the Imperialistic American and Indian countries were becoming more technologically advanced than the Republic and were carving up empires on the other side of the world. The Nationalists seized on this information as evidence of the incompetence of the current government and a need to refocus attention on the state. The Senate, fearing the growing disquiet in the Republic, agreed upon a plan of ‘national rejuvenation‘. Temples and shrines were built across the country and grocers were established to showcase the wide range of goods available from all corners of the far-flung republic. All this lead to a growing sentiment of country first in throughout Rome.

In 1640, a scientist named Charles Darwin published his Theory of Evolution and though he was regarded as a heretic by some of the more devote Zoroastrians in society, the theory led to immediate scientific breakthroughs which catapulted Rome into being the most technologically advanced nation on Earth. This news further stoked the fires of nationalism and cemented the Nationalists as the most popular party in the senate.

Spoiler :
View attachment 284124
View attachment 284126
I just added the second one cause I think it's funny :)

The final push towards Empire came in 1680, not with a crisis as might be expected, but with a celebration. That year saw the completion of the great monument, the Taj Mahal. This symbol of nationalistic pride was lauded by the Party as “A sign of national progress and the start of a new golden age for our glorious Republic!” With approval at an all time high, the Nationalists confronted the Senate, and demanded a re-organization of government, without elections, or certain bits of scandalous information would be revealed to the public. With no alternative, the Senate was re-organized behind closed doors and the Republic stepped onto the road towards imperialism.

I havn't tried out the original RoM, but A New Dawn add's onto RoM2 by addings things like usable mountains and advanced diplomacy. I don't think it removed anything from RoM2.

Only problem is that it takes 10 minutes to turn on (for me anyway) and I crash sometimes due to leader head diplomacy straining my video card...or something like that

Well i'm loving RoM so I'll probably try AND after I finish this game.

On a more serious note..

Meh. No worries. Neither do I :)

NO THAT MIGHT BE MY NEXT STORY

I like how this Story gets right down to the point and basically timeskips ahead to its most interesting part. A 1680s Roman empire.

That's because I didn't start out this game with the intention of writing a story plus I think the most interesting things in the game start with the ren/industrial age time frame.

I'm certainly enjoying the "history book" narrative style. The whole thing appears to be quite well thought-out, with additional details that make it seem more like a recounting of actual history than a game report. The grammar's a bit rough in places, but then no one's perfect.

This story definitely shows promise. I'll try to follow it closely.

Top Bottom