[RFC] Ad Kalendas Graecas

Krug

Warlord
This is my second story, running parralel to my first semi-comidic story about Hannibal. Why am I doing two stories at once? Because I'm trying to get a feel for what the people here like more, Humorous Tales, or Serious Legends.
----------------------------------------------------------
Part I-
The sun had risen ont he year 1600 to give way to the bustling of the city's center at midday. Athens though small, served as the economic center for the entire peninsula that was known as the greek homeland. Yet, if you were to look closely into this crowd, you could perhaps notice one man stand out among the peasants, guards and slaves. A man in a bronze helmet, a man known as Pericles. Pericles was a man tired of mighty greece being a fumbling band of city states, he knew it was time for a change, and as he stepped into the city's center with an oration prepared, he just hoped the people would as well.
"My fellow Atheneans!" He began, "Who are we as a people? Who are the Epidamnosians? Who are the Spartans?" Are we simply citizens of these cities, or are we something more. Are we not all Greeks? We as a people cannot survive as a nation if we cannot unite into one state! We must unite the cities!" Pericles went to every city and spoke these words, and sure enough with due time, the Greek Nation was born. And who else but Pericles himself at its helm.

Spoiler :

In the beginning the Nation was small. The two main cities of Epidamnos and Athens emerging as the two centers for the emerging nation. Yet already they were already the most scientifically advanced Nation on earth, and the Nation posessed a small yet fearsome army of Phalanxes prepared to crush those who threatened the new country.

Spoiler :

Nearly months after the New State's formation, a emmisary from the exotic nation of Babylon came to the house Pericles. The leader of the Greeks was no King, merely a commader, a citizen leader. He lived in a upper class home, but no palace. Which confused the emmisarry as he stepped in Pericle's adobe.
"The mighty King Hammurabi of the Empire of Babylon wishes to inquire whether you Greeks wish for peace, or the fool's path of war." The Emmisarry spoke, Pericles merely stroked his chin and nodded,
"We Greeks are a peaceful nation. We wish to being no harm to the Babylonians."
The Emmisary, pleased, left the home of Pericles.

Spoiler :

Alas, Peace would not stand with the Greeks for long, scouts reported of a hostile Nation forming in Anatolia, and Pericles, threatened by this new enitity, sent in his Phalanxes.

Spoiler :

But as the Army began its seige, a strange scout from a distant land it seemed was caught in the fray. He told the commanders of the Phalanxes that he was an emmisarry from the might Asoka of India, and that he wishes peace with Pericles and the Greeks. The commander, with no reason to attack the helpless man, sent a messanger back to Pericles to inform him about the new empire.

Spoiler :

The attack was a success, and the Troops entered the city, pillaging looting, burning, as well as other unshightly acts. The place was razed to the ground. But when Pericles got word of this, he was furious. He had hoped to bring the city into the fold of the Greek nation, not destroy it. Pericles called his army back, but little did he know that the Greeks would soon have to deal with a threat far greater than raging barbarians. A threat that would emerge as two Empires begin their rise in the west...

Good job, nice story.

Spoiler :

Pericles was said to be overseeing the building project of the new Temple of Artemis in Epidamnos when the procession came by. Unlike the emmisarries from the west, or the Humble Greeks themselves, a people came into the empire who threw their wealth around like none had seen before. The Egyptians.
The noble Ramsesses II was the Pharaoh of their lands, and was regarded as a god. He stepped down from his gold plated throne, carried by a quartet of slaves, and approached Pericles.
"So you are, Pericles of the Greeks? Surely by my many riches you must know who I am." Pericles wasted no time in giving his answer,
"Indeed, you are Ramsesses the Great, ruler of Egypt. How may I make your aquaintence, oh Pharaoh?"
"Ah hah! I see you are indeed an educated man Pericles! I suppose you mean no harm considering your tone?" The Pharaoh laughed,
"I only mean peace, Pharaoh." Pericles nodded, the Pharaoh gave another hearty laugh.
"Please, Pericles, no need for formalities, simply call me Ramsesses. You should visit my home country some time Pericles! I feel we could learn a lot from each other's cultures."

Spoiler :

No sooner had the mighty Ramsesses himself left, that Pericles began working on a sister building project to the Temple of Artemis, an Oracle to Apollo. This labor was destined to be his greatest acomplishment, and yet...

Spoiler :

Just a year into its construction it had been destroyed. Some say by a lightning bolt from Zeus himself, angered that he would not recieve his own temple. The destruction of the Oracle lifted a heavy burden off Athens, but Pericles had such plans for the building, he had to know why his efforts were in vain. So Pericles prayed to mighty Zeus,
"Oh Zeus, king of the Gods and the Skies! Tell me, why has my Oracle been destroyed, what have I, humble Pericles done to incur the God's wrath?" And it was said that Zeus responded with this:
Pericles, Leader of the Greek Nation, the fates have decided that you cannot succeed in the way you had once planned. But do not treat this as failure! Pericles, you must lead the Greeks into a new age, an age in which a new empire shall spring forth, and culture shall abound. An age in which the enitre planet shall know the name of it's leading race, the Greeks.
And from that moment on Pericles began to build his armies in Athens.

Spoiler :

Just as Pericles began to build his Armies however, the Leader recieved word that one of his Galleys patrolling the Mediterranean had met up with a new Empire rising, the Carthaginians, led by a man named Hannibal. The traded, and exchanged vows of peace. While Pericles was distrustful of these "Carthaginians" he very quickly found a more pressing issue, one that would unite Greece, Egypt, and Carthage in a legendary war.

Spoiler :

Rome had arrived, and it certainly wasn't interested in diplomacy.

No Sparta? Its not the most useful city, but just being Sparta makes me found it every time I play Greece.

I really wanted to found Sparta, I really did, but I needed the Copper if I wanted to effectively deal with the Romans/Anyone else. So I founded Epidamnos, after this I'll probably build Byzantion with my next settler, and then if it's worth it, SPARTA just because.

No Constantinople! :cry: (Well, it's Byzantion in Greek but I love Constantinople and refuse to call it Istanbul, too)

Good story, though. You should extend Greece to control all the territories of the former Roman Empire under Marcus Trajan.

Does anyone else think that Trajan should be one of Rome's leaders? :p

Let's see if you will do better than me (you probably will unless you try and settle Europe like me) :D

Good story, though. You should extend Greece to control all the territories of the former Roman Empire under Marcus Trajan.

Does anyone else think that Trajan should be one of Rome's leaders? :p
Considering the fact that I've already lost the UHV (No Oracle), I will take this challenge.
(Also yeah, Trajan should have been Rome's third leader rather than just be a Great General.)

Let's see if you will do better than me (you probably will unless you try and settle Europe like me) :D
This was originally going to be a run as the Dutch, because your story had just done the Greeks. But in the end, I remembered how much I hated the Dutch last time I played as them, and went with Greece.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler :

The Nation and its Leader frantically prepared for war. However, Pericles soon learned that the barbaric Romans had not just declared war on Greece, but on Egypt and Carthage as well. The three leaders wasted no time in convening to discuss this rising threat.
"I propose that first we sign Open Borders between the three of us, for ease of transport." Hannibal propsed,
"Agreed," Pericles and Ramsesses replied in unison.
"Hannibal and I can take care of the Roman naval forces." Ramsesses stated, "But we have to go through Babylonia if we want to attack Rome directly."
"I suppose this means you're leaving the land invasion to me?" Pericles replied, slight cynicism in his tone.
"Unfortunately, yes."
"Gentlemen, you're lucky to be dealing with a man who has an Army of well trained Hoplites on his side, because anyone else would scoff at the idea. I accept these terms." The trio shook hands, and the Phalanx moved into Roman territory.

Spoiler :

And so the Invasion began, a core of Hoplites began to move across the hills of northern Rome. Pericles worried about the Legions that Rome had sent to intercept his attack, began a game of cat and mouse until the Roman forces finally ended up moving past Mediolanum and to the Northwest. The city was then wide open to attack. The Archers stationed inside never stood a chance against the Infalliable formation.
The sights were then turned on Rome itself.

Spoiler :

After a short rest in the now Greek city of Mediolanum the Hoplite force began to march on Rome. The Roman defenses in the city were no more than a few legions and Archers, unprepared for the revitalized Hoplite force. As Hannibal and Ramsesses' naval forces kept the Roman ships at bay to the south, the Phalanx struck Rome. The Legions were handily crushed, proving for the rest of time that Phalanx was the superior formation.

Spoiler :

When the forces entered Rome they sacked it and burned the city to the ground, never wanting such a Barbaric race to rise ever again. Pericles had no qualms with this, as unlike Hattusas, the Romans were a true threat, and nearly untamable. The message to the Italic Peoples was clear, it was the end.

Spoiler :

But Rome was not through yet, as the Phalanx marched back to Mediolanum for rest and resupply, word was recieved that the few Romans remaining, unable to form a formidable reactionary force, had hired a squad of Mercenaries to take the Greeks down.

Spoiler :

As that was going on, Christopher Columbus, a Greek sailor and Merchant had arrived down the Nile to the Egyptian capitol of Niwt-Rst. Columbus, one of the craftiest Greeks of his time was able to make money off of Maps of the world. But these Maps weren't just any maps. They were maps that showed the earth as a round body, rather than a flat one. Nonetheless Pericles was quite pleased when he learned of the figures the Greeks had made at the market.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile on the Battlefield, the Roman forces were routed and eliminated. The troops had now been ordered to march on Pompeii by Pericles, but no sooner had the Greek Leader given the order that word was recieved that Hannibal pulled out of the war. A meeting was quickly established with Ramsesses.
"So I'm guessing you heard the news?" Pericles asked his compatriot.
"Of course." Ramsesses smirked, "I never really thought Hannibal was completely with us."
"You and me both Ramsesses, you and me both." Pericles laughed, with this Ramsesses quickly changed the subject.
"Have you heard of Judaism by any chance Pericles? It's a Relgion that's recently been sweeping across Africa and the East. I know Hannibal's a fellow convert, and while I would have once scoffed at a religion with only one god, I've grown quite fond of it myself."
"I'd love to join you as a brother of faith. But I'm naturally skeptical, besides how can I convert to something just from vague word of mouth?"
"I understand my friend, but still, if you ever encounter a group of people called the Jews in your land, look into it."

Spoiler :

The Phalanx Army finally marched triumphantly into Pompeii. The city was not burned due to the stratiegic control of Southern Italy being vital. But Rome had now been brought to its knees, only one more, mostly Gallic city remained. And it would not survive the next onslaught. The Greek Empire had begun...

Very fast updates. Nice.

Now we just need to wait till 1940 AD and let the Germans steamroll the mediterranian because you're ALL JEWISH.
(Note: I have absolutely nothing against Jews, they're really awesome. Especially when they beat up Rome. With spears.
Oh yes point of personal privelege: please keep Geneva!

Oh yes point of personal privelege: please keep Geneva!

You...you used Model UN speak, whether you know it or not. NOOOOOOOOO. I had already razed the city by the time you said this. But I would have absolutely complied to this command had you posted it earlier.

To do list-
1. Get Religion
2. Rebuild Geneva
3. Build Byzantion
4. Build SPARTA
----------------------------------------------
Spoiler :

Kobo Dashi was born in Athens just as the war was reaching its peak. His parents had been nomadic travelers from the mysterious Far East. After a visit to the Babylonian city of Yerushalym in Babylon however, Dashi reached enlightenment, and wrote a pholosophical Greek text in order to enlighten others on earth about Monotheism, and the wonders of the one god.

Spoiler :

The Phalanx once more stopped for ressupply at Mediolanum before engaging the final Roman City. The ironic thing about Geneva was that it wasn't even a Italian city. It was a Roman Colony in the middle of the savage, but at the moment peaceful, Gauls. The stuggle was brutal, besides having to cross the Alps in order to reach the city, the Hoplites then had to engage Roman Archers in the mountains. It seemed like a deadlock, how were a core of Spearmen to ever take this city. And yet, by the years end a Miracle happened.

Spoiler :

A miracle in the form of a Pyrrhic Victory. The war was over. The Greeks and the Egyptians had finally won. Geneva seeing no use for unwarranted upkeep, was burned to the Ground. There was celebration in the streets of Athens, Epidamnos, and Niwt-rst. The Romans had been vanquished, and in their place, the Greeks were rising as an empire. Pericles adressed the public and gave a dictation that stated "Now is the time for peace, we must focus on our culture as a greek nation, rather than the bloodshed of war. We must trade with our Egyptian Allies, not seek to conquer cities. It is a glorious new dawn for our nation greeks."

Spoiler :

Alas! The gods would not have Peace with Pericles however! For one fateful day, a Greek slave looked out from the field he was tending, and saw them. A Barbarian horde, bent on plundering and looting. Fate had once again tricked Pericles into a false sense of security, and now it was up to him to protect the un fortified city of Epidamnos. Thus Pericles used the Slaves of the City as sort of a Spearman militia. Whipping them into shape, the Slaves cried "Revolt", but Pericles turned a blind eye to this. For protecting citizens was more important than the rights of slaves.

Spoiler :

The battles were Brutal. The Phalanxes, while they had no qualms with the savage foot soldiers the Barbarians sent their way, were terrified by the cavalry. Meanwhile, the fledgling Spearman corps, prayed to Zeus that they wouldn't have to encounter a Phalanx themselves.

Spoiler :

But in the end, the Crisis was averted, and for their efforts, the Slave Spearman Corps, not only gained citizenship, but a role as a crucial force in the Greek Army. But Pericles was never the same after this invasion. Twice had fate tricked him into believeing War would not come, and twice war was at his doorstep. Who could he really trust? Perhaps Ramsesses, but does he too have an imperial appetite? Pericles knew that the time for waiting was over, and now it was his turn to strike first.

Spoiler :

And so Pericles made plans to invade the largest empire on earth. The Babylonians. He quickly got together with his two old war allies, Ramsesses and Hannibal, in separate meetings.
"Have me invade Babylon?" Ramsesses scoffed, "Surely you must jest!"
"The time has come Ramsesses! You know that they're a hungry beast who's lust for land cannot be satisfied, they must be eliminated!" Pericles slammed his fist on the table.
"Pericles, I respect you more than any other leader on the shores of the sea, but Babylon has been a longtime friend of Egypt. Besides, how could my God approve of declaring War on a brother in faith? The Romans were pagans who struck first, it was different. But Babylon? Unless they declare war on me, I cannot help you. I'm sorry my friend." Ramsesses gave as his sorrowful reply, Pericles just shook his head and left.
"I'm sorry too Ramsesses." After this was a meeting with Hannibal, which went over quite differently.
"I couldn't do much for a land invasion of Babylon. I have to go through Egypt, and it will me a slow march along the desert for my troops. Even if he is a Brother in Judaism though, I agree, Babylonia has gotten too large for its own good." Hannibal Explained, "So here's the deal, I'll declare war on the Babylonians, but you have to teach my that thing you call Aethstetics in exchange." Pericles stroked his chin, it was an interesting deal. But he wasn't sure if he wanted to trade such knowledge to a potential rival just yet.
"I'll think about it," Pericles answered.

Spoiler :

And so, the Lonely invasion began. It was Pericles vs. Babylon. But the infalliable leader had no doubt in his mind that his Hoplites would get the job done. With Cathaginian help or not. Lead by the Female General Joan de Arc, a Gallic defector, the troops marched into Babylonian borders. Instantly trampling, pillaging and burning, the just founded city of Beroea.

Spoiler :

Then, in a rahter costly struggle, the Troops marched on Tyre. The Babylonians were still unprepared for the Greek assault and lost the city, but not before destroying a Corp of Phalanxes. Joan and her men then garrisoned inside, prepared to hold off any counter offensive.

Spoiler :

But back on the Homefront, something interesting happened. Pericles was recieved word from a messanger that Gallic Jew, Jesus Christ, who claimed to be the Messiah was killed recently. Naturally Pericles asked why he should be bothered with this information. But when he was told that the man had risen from the dead, then the Greek Leader's intrest was piqued. He learned that they had actually sent a Missionary to teach Pericles the Word of Christ, and after hearing the Missionary's stories and tales, Pericles was at a standstill. Should he convert to this new religion spreading through his lands? So many of his people still believed in the Old Gods. And furthermore, his allies, Hannibal and Ramsesses, were both Jewish. How would they take it?

He could Convert to Christianity. Or he could continue to be Pagan and wait for Judaism. Pericles went to the Parthenon and Prayed to the Heavens for an answer. Hoping that some god, any god, would give him the truth.
-----------------------------------------------------------
The answer will come from YOU GUYS!
Poll: What should Mighty Pericles do?
Convert to Christianity-
Wait for Judaism-

I vote 1. Convert to Christianity

Whoa that was fast. I come here, look at the updates, leave, then 5 minutes later I come back here and there's another update.

Great story BTW. I like it so far

If you fail your challenge, you must participate in my DI thread! :mwaha:

On a serious note, to complete the challenge, you have to rebuild Rome, completely control Iberia, completely control Gaul, control London and Manchester, control Anatolia, control Jerusalem, Alexandria, Cairo, Banzai, Regio Tripolitani, Carthage, and for an added challenge, Germany, Babylon, and the Arabian peninsula. Let's see if you can do it.

If you succeed in this before 1300 AD, I will think you are a god among men and hug you.

4. try and get Islam to make an Islamic Europe so there can be love in the middle east and no need for evil crusades.

4. try and get Islam to make an Islamic Europe so there can be love in the middle east and no need for evil crusades.

I second that, even if it's just to stop the future war on terror from happening.

Top Bottom