What the heck do I do with great generals?

I wish there was a Warlord Pantheon that would grant 2 faith per turn for each Great General you possess up until the renaissance era. This would be great for Civs like Mongols that are based around GGs, but I agree they're pretty useless once you get 1 or 2

The Ai seems to be unable to handle player's citadels. When you plant one on a strategic point you can basically defend it against entire armies.

One question about citadels to steal luxuries ? so your City State next to you or another AI has gold on it's city property. You plant a citadel next to it and you can gain that luxury? like gold or silk or spices?

Thanks

Brew God

One question about citadels to steal luxuries ? so your City State next to you or another AI has gold on it's city property. You plant a citadel next to it and you can gain that luxury? like gold or silk or spices?

Thanks

Brew God

Yes, the tile will be taken into your territory. Your people can work the tile too, if they're close enough, but otherwise it acts like any mine/plantation/etc for a luxury resource.

IMO there should be an option to expend a Great General to instantly end rebellion in a city.

Great Admirals should be able to build canals. (In real life Engineers did this, but Engineers are already plenty useful in Civ 5.)

The Ai seems to be unable to handle player's citadels. When you plant one on a strategic point you can basically defend it against entire armies.

Usually, yes, but in my latest game I was actually surprised when the Zulu circumvent my citadel. I had a two city border against the Zulu with plains between them. I placed a citadel between the cities and for a turn or two he fell for it, but then during the second and third waves of units, he took the long way north to go around my citadel, some unit went south of the citadel as well. No unit came near my citadel. So in a way my citadel placement worked. North and south of the two cities was easier to defend.

Best use - 90 influence as you gift them to city states (only works with sweden :( ) ..

Millitary offensive uses
- steal enemy roads during war time. (citadel) This can make unwinnable city assaults cakewalk (your siege units can move in setup and fire in the same turn. using former enemy roads - afeat only persia can pull off during golden age ,denmark attacking from water and incans to some degree over hills - without using roads) . Multiple ranged mounted units with logistic promotions (keshick, camel archer, horse archer, ) can fire 2 attacks at the city from the same road tile in the same turn and retreat out of range of retaliation (move , shoot twice, and move back, do the same with the next unit ... ) . Mounted/mechanized units can attack (multiple times with blitz) city/units near it and retreat out of range of city (retreat back to own teritory for march heal at the end of the turn - getting ready to do it again the next turn)
- steal enemy / neutral zone luxuries/strategic resources (again citadel/chain of citadels)
- provide attack and defensive combat strenght to units in "aura range' (15% regular generals // 30% china)
- provide extra heling behind enemy lines for march promoted troops reduce/eliminate the downtime for healing (only works with mongolia - their gg is also a uber medic)

Military defensive role
- drop a citadel at a chokepoint . Fortify a highly promoted military unit in it with a medic behind.. Watch the entire AI army melt trying to get trough it ...
- provide attack and defensive combat strenght to units in "aura range' (15% regular generals // 30% china)

and for all this versatility (unless playing sweden) you might still end up with more GGs than you need (especially in a Honor/domination game) so you might end up deleting a few of them just to save upkeep cost ..

Can't think of any games where I couldn't find a use for a GG - only time I might struggle is if I've killed off all the other civs...

After a long war, I sometimes steal some land with my "excess" generals.

Top Bottom