[BtS] Rise of Mankind

Well, one thing I don't like about this mod is the 3 wonder limit on the cities, so I'm going to go destroy empires and make more of my cities.

I got a CTD when I was playing as the japanese empire and researched blood cult. I also want to say that I like this mod, it reminds me of Heart of Destiny Mod for Civ 3.

Downloading now.

Any chance you could also write up a note for my wife, Zap, to explain why I now need to "test" Civ all weekend?

:)

m

hey,
theres a 8 catagory screen over 10 options each in the dl data base.

i like the cool units you addedd from the future mods in bts
Checked dl database and didn't see it. I'll have to check for it again later unless you can provide me link for it. ;) I had almost working civic screen for 8 categories in Epic mod but getting it to display all texts properly seemed impossible without changes to DLL file. I tried using that python file in RoM (Rise of Mankind) but it just didn't work at all. So I postponed those civic changes to future versions.

Good news ! Its ok with cd of Vanilla Civ 4 + DVD of vanilla BTS :mischief:

Its not surprising...
That's good news. I wasn't sure if it would work with just BtS as I have both expansions installed.

I gave it a rather quick trial. Seems quite nice. I've noticed that you stretched the game's time and had an early start. I liked that a lot. I also like the new buildings I encountered so far. I hope some techs that are empty now get fleshed with buildings or units.

A minor bug is that the on map city bar seems missed-up as it shows incorrect icons. Resources and so are fine. I looked into the Game Font file but I can't see what is wrong with it.

About the DLL, I was thinking of merging Solver's patch with Dale's bombardment and maybe other SDK modifications. I am just waiting for Solver's patch to become somewhat final. For now it is almost updated daily.

If you have other things you like to include in the DLL just tell me and I will do it gladly. I already like your mod a lot and I think it is a very promising one.
Yeah, I stretched game time a bit. I've tried to add icons for most new buildings but some are still missing and most new buildings just re-use building graphics from existing buildings so cities won't look different with new building types. Empty techs will be filled at some point, for example I have about 20 new civic options to add when I get new working civic screen for that many options. There's also lots of stuff on my lists that haven't yet made into the mod.

I think I found reason for that messed up city bar - I've only changed GameFont.tga, I'll have to add GameFont75.tga as well. I just hate editing those files. New index value in xml for resources did help a bit but still it's difficult to mod those gamefonts. :(

I have no rush with adding DLL to the mod. One thing that I liked in CCCP's dll file was the added iCommerce options for health and happiness to all commerce tags. With those I could create more diverse civics and buildings. Another thing that is missing is that you can't use Power as requirement for health, happiness and so on. That could be new tag: <CommerceWithPower>. Maybe I'll make a list of things that might be useful in new DLL. I'll have to think about it. :)

Well, one thing I don't like about this mod is the 3 wonder limit on the cities, so I'm going to go destroy empires and make more of my cities.

I got a CTD when I was playing as the japanese empire and researched blood cult. I also want to say that I like this mod, it reminds me of Heart of Destiny Mod for Civ 3.
Reason why there's that limit was the amount of new wonders added to the game in this mod and the limit prevents making huge culture cities. In real life also the wonders of the world are scattered around the globe so the limit is there for also realism - player shouldn't be able to build all wonders in a single city. The limit can be adjusted if people feel like that it's too low.

Try the giant and Gigantic map sizes. You shouldn't run out of cities to build whatever wonders you need.

(I just forgot to mention that I tried the giant map size - great addition)
If you play on those new map sizes, I appreciate any feedback from them (with game difficulty and game speed options). There's few variables on those map sizes that might need recheck if players find them too easy / too difficult.

When building a worker for the first time you are congratulated for obtaining your first armored unit! (funny but I guess it is a bug)
That's a bug for sure. I'll add it to fix list.

Downloading now.

Any chance you could also write up a note for my wife, Zap, to explain why I now need to "test" Civ all weekend?

m
Note to mrhyms' wife: If you let your husband play Civ this weekend, I'm sure he'll make it up to you next week with some kind of surprise. ;)

About GameFont file again. Some resources (I noticed Salt) don't have icons. I think maybe if they are added the city bar would be fixed as well. Rationally these are different sections of the file and shouldn't interfere with each other. But I can't find any other cause for the missed-up city bar. It seems as icons are used with an offset of two cells if there are two resources with missing icons this would be the answer.

Zapp - How did you arrive at your timeline numbers? Was is a direct translation of the original gamespec and subtracting turns based in increases in productivity gained through buildings/techs/etc and adding turns for the extra buildings/techs/etc available? Did you do any further tweaking?

Are the turn ratios analogous to BTS or Vanilla/Warlords?

I'm asking since, from what I have seen, the delicate balance (which was still a bit off IMHO) from Vanilla/Warlords has been thrown for a major loop with the seemingly arbitrary changes to turn numbers in BTS. This increase in game length does not seem to have been accounted for in any of the other major formulas of the game.

Anyhow this mod seems ambitious, and I intend to dig into it eventually.

Oh, and as to the languages...When I made my mod I just duplicated the english text for all languages... I did this based on a polling of the community 2 years ago in which I determined that most of the community would rather read english (even if it is not their second language) than the hashed up mess I was able to produce using online translators...heh.

Well I think the number of wonders should be paced up just 1 notch;)
Kinda irritating when you got ravaging barbarians at the door and hey youre only 3 rounds from gettin the Great wall but then you forget how many wonders you got in that city and make it a holy wonder of hinduism and boom you gotta start all over to build the wonder you were building because the limit;)
I usual play huge terra maps and i love the wonder bonuses. so im and "ind" and i got the urge for cities to fill with my wonders:D

yes is there a way to set the wonder limit back to unlimited (A)?
i hate playing with that limit on :p
just tell me were to change it in the files :D

under Rise of Mankind/assets/xml Open the file GlobalDefines.xml in Notepad

find the following

<Define>
<DefineName>MAX_WORLD_WONDERS_PER_CITY</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>3</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

change 3 to -1

thanks for that
i too want to be able to build many wonders in one city, mostly for when i try culture victories, i like to build them mainly in 3 cities to build up the culture for those 3

Sweet. Great mod. =D

Ok, i've tried a game with the mod.

I've reached 490 AD, and this is really wonderful ! The ancient times aren't moving at the light's speed anymore, there are lots of units that really enhance strategy and the gigantic map size allows the strategic ressources to be spread around so that you don't have everything near your first town.

However there is something that needs to be fixed about trade. I have loads of lemons that i can trade with the computer AI but ... He will never accept any agreement. Why ? Because the lemons are valueless, just as are coffee, coton and pearls (even if pearls may be a little usefull later in the game i guess).
You should add a health bonus or an happy face for those ressources to be tradable, and maybe include them in the ressources that buildings like markets use to improve the bonuses ;)

Just another thing, how does the game run with a gigantic map on your computers ? I've an Opteron X2 @2.5 ghz, 2 Gb of DDR1 @250 mhz and a Radeon X1950XT (a former high end computer so) and during a turn it's quite playable, but not really fluid. And when switching from one turn to another it becomes a nightmare, i've never seen the game lagging that way :eek:

This in fact a very great mod!
Play it once to get used to the new unit\building\techs then after that all the next games you play is gonna kick ass;)

Great mod! 8+\10 from me;)

Only miss the little factor thats in the mod Extra(I believe) that you could se a smiley face beside the other nations how they feel about you;)

Nice to track who's you friends;D

Only miss the little factor thats in the mod Extra(I believe) that you could se a smiley face beside the other nations how they feel about you;)

Nice to track who's you friends;D

Seconded! Its hard enough to track everyone with 10+ civs.

@ Strat I have a Athlon 2800 with a 9800 pro and i run a giant map. It has a long(er) waiting time between turns and when a leader contacts you there is some lag. But its doable. I think its not the map size but the amount of civs?
Wouldnt even have tried this pre-BtS i think the speed mod was added to BtS, not sure.

Some things i noticed:

Researching the normal way without specializing wont get you anywhere in this mod. You have to set certain cities to either mint or research. I dont know if this is intended or not.

Caravans lets you see whats being produced in a foreign city, you can even hurry the production. A city of mine on an island had its health resources connected but not its happy rescourses. This is before cities are connected via ocean. I could land a settler there via another civs territory by galley so that would also imply trade is possible no?

Crusaders exploring rival territory this could be a posible exploit, just build a bunch put them behind enemy lines and declare war.

catapults didnt do damage against a city of mine which had walls, castle and high walls.

Also if possible could there be some early version of cannon? 12 seems a bit too steep. coming from medieval units. mortar perhaps?

Nice to see those wardogs upgradable! :goodjob:

Really enjoying the mod thanks for all the hard work!

I like the units and the new additions, but I hope you can incorporate the latest unit creations as well.

The ethiopian Oromo warrior doesnt need sulphur. Its the UU that replaces the musketman.

Whats the red dot on the city bar? connected to trade network? Its annoying for me at least.

Who wants to build a brothel the neg is bigger that the happy face. Some buildings that give a happy face arent available until later and the choice buildings which give are happy face are funny :0

The upgrade from heavy swordsman to rifle is 80. From musketman to rifle its 110 that doesnt make sense. How is it calculated anyway amount of hammers ?

I CTD 'ed when i clicked the link to shaft mine in the biology tech popup.

Oh and Hannibal or William of Orange can use a color change when they are in the game together you cant make out the borders.

back to the game...

Also if possible could there be some early version of cannon? 12 seems a bit too steep. coming from medieval units. mortar perhaps?

An early "bombard" unit would work for this, say around strength 10... sounds great. There are graphics for one in the File DB by woodelf, I believe.

the download is very slow...

I uploaded this to Rapidshare

http://rapidshare.com/files/49608317/RiseOfMankind0.8.zip

Are you, by any chance, the owner of Rapidshare? I just couldn't help but notice that virtually all of your posts are uploads to Rapidshare. :lol:

Top Bottom