[BtS] DIPLOMACY: a mod for Diplogames!

Well the only reason I would do Gran Colombia is so I don't have to do too much work as far as units and city names and such go. I would make the leaders Simon Bolivar and Hugo Chavez if I went that route. I'm pretty lenient when it comes to historical accuracy, the game isn't very historically accurate so I don't feel like I should let that hold me back. That said I try to make it "realistic," in the sense that I won't have fantasy civs or leaders (although I do have Dido, and she may be a legend) in my games. So its kinda strange. I'm almost finished with Gustav Adolph, right now I just know very basic stuff, so I'm pretty much just chopping up other LHs and using their parts at this point. It is very difficult and frustrating though. But I should have a better Gustav Adolph LH for your Swedish Civ ready very soon!

Haha, yeah I also chose Gran Colombia so I could easily represent a large portion of South America without having to make a bunch of tiny civs. It was nice that Gran Colombia technically actually did that. I'm not usually a fan of say making an Asia civ that represents all of Asia.

I just wanted to keep everyone posted on my "Americas Module Pack" progress. I am nearly finished with the Canada module, which means I am halfway done (Mexico and Canada finished). I am also going to upgrade my Hungary Module and release both Module Packs (Module Pack I and the Americas Module Pack) together.

Here is a small preview of the Canada Module pack. Just like the Mexican preview ancient units are on the left, medieval in the middle and industrial on the right. I am aware that their Rifleman is really a British guardsman, but I thought it looked good with the flag and everything so there they are. Questions and Comments would be appreciated...

Mexico, Canada, and Gran Colombia... why not add Brazil and Argentina?

Mexico, Canada, and Gran Colombia... why not add Brazil and Argentina?

Actually I am adding Brazil, on the previous page it has the full list. I want to add Argentina too actually, but I wanted to do these packs in groups of four. Although I guess I could always throw Argentina in. We'll see what I feel like doing at the moment. BTW I plan on making multiple Module Packs so Argentina could be in a different one at a later time. This one is just themed, the next one will be unthemed, and then the one after that will be themed (Europe) and so on and so forth. So just because Argentina isn't in this one doesn't mean it won't be in a future module... actually I may toss that on the list to be the fourth in the next one (Songhai, Vietnam, Minoans... and Argentina?)

I'm nearly finished with the "Americas Module Pack," Gran Colombia is now finished. If anyone is interested the reason I chose to make a Gran Colombia civ rather than a Colombia, Venezuela or other South American country in its place was because I wanted to include this whole area and have flavored units as well. So I took a few liberties with history and combined a multitude of South American countries and named them Gran Colombia. The leaders are Simon Bolivar and Hugo Chavez, the UU is the Libertador (it replaces the cuirassier and is to the right of the musketman in the units preview). The last module I am going to make for this module pack is Brazil.

I have had some requests for other civs in the Americas. Those modules will be made, don't worry, they will just be part of a non-themed pack. The next module pack will include another civ from the Americas, I just haven't figured out which one yet. If you are wondering the next themed one I am going to do is Europe, and I haven't decided which countries will be in that one but Sweden and Poland will definitely be in it.

Anyway, here is a small preview (same as the ones I did for Canada and Mexico) of the module. The units are arranged by eras; ancient on the left, then medieval, then industrial, then modern. The units in the modern era are the same for Mexico, except for the Marine which is unique to Gran Colombia. As usual questions, comments, and asanine remarks would be appreciated...

Haha, yeah I also chose Gran Colombia so I could easily represent a large portion of South America without having to make a bunch of tiny civs. It was nice that Gran Colombia technically actually did that. I'm not usually a fan of say making an Asia civ that represents all of Asia.

I sort of got the idea from you; I liked the Chavez LH and I wanted to have Simon Bolivar as a leader so I was going to do Venezuela originally, but a friend of mine is Colombian and he wanted me to do Colombia, so I picked Gran Colombia (based off your idea too, I also stole your flag by the way) so I could have both leaders and represent that region at the same time.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

I sort of got the idea from you; I liked the Chavez LH and I wanted to have Simon Bolivar as a leader so I was going to do Venezuela originally, but a friend of mine is Colombian and he wanted me to do Colombia, so I picked Gran Colombia (based off your idea too, I also stole your flag by the way) so I could have both leaders and represent that region at the same time.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

It looks like you did a great job! and please take whatever you can from my mods, that's why I put them out. (though i feel bad for people going through my thomas' war files as they are a bit of a mess and unorganized)

Good work!

I think that for the flag, you should have just the arc of stars... Primary color burgundy and secondary color white, as a traditional decal.

Burgundy is one of the national colors of Venezuela, by the way. You see it in the uniforms of the national baseball team.

Are you using the San Martín LH as Bolivar? Dude, use Ekmek's Bolivar and save San Martín for Argentina!

I already used Ekmek's Bolivar as Santa Anna, and I was planning on using Peron for Argentina. However, if Ekmek comes out with his new Santa Anna and Pancho Villa soon, I can use them for Mexico instead, transfer Bolivar over to Gran Colombia and then use San Martin for Argentina (which leader though?).

And I can change the colors, that is only one set I made. I made four different color combos for them. But I'll try the burgundy and white. I am no good at making flags myself though, so I am just going to have to rely on this one.

To do a decal, you need to have the flag in black and white as an Alpha Channel.

The black will be replaced with the primary color (burgundy), and the white will be replaced by the secondary color (white).

As for Mexico, Rhye has a great decal of the Mexican eagle.

To make the buttons, I use GIMP. I shrink the decal to a size of 102x128 and duplicate the layer, then I invert one of the layers. I colorify both layers, each with one color. Then I turn the black in one of the layers into an alpha channel and I merge down. What's left is to take part of the picture, scale and put it into a buttonmaker and voila.

Thanks for the help with this!

BTW; I'm already using Rhye's Mexico flag for my Mexico module.

EDIT: If you WANT, you could maybe help me out a little and make a Gran Colombia flag for me...

Are you using the San Martín LH as Bolivar? Dude, use Ekmek's Bolivar and save San Martín for Argentina!

Sorry, I didn't realize San Martin liberated Argentina. Alright, well I will consider expanding it to include Argentina and Cuba now that I'll have to wait for Ekmek's Santa Anna and Pancho Villa anyway. So I'll try and add Cuba and Argentina to the list, but if it is apparent it is going to take forever I might just cut the list short.

Part of the reason I want to do this is because I had some fixes to make to the first Module pack (adding a new LH for St. Stephan as one example), and then quality checking everything I've done so far. I was going to release the Americas and the Module Pack 1 upgrade together. I also plan on adding Next War to the original Diplomacy mod as well. I don't want to go farther than that, because while I love mods like Thomas' War and RevolutionDCM and all that, this mod was originally made for a specific group of MP players and I am trying to keep it as close to the regular game as possible.

I will also be adding some new leaders to the mod; Sejong (Korea), Ataturk (Ottomans), Atotzli (Aztecs), Adenauer (Germany), New Amenhotep III leaderhead check my leaderhead gallery, New Charles V leaderhead, and Cardinal Richelieu (France).

If I actually get around to doing Solomon, I'll change that LH too. I've got modding fever right now, so I might as well ride this wave till it crashes.

For Cuba I would use Rhye's Arabian palm as a flag, BTW.

How do I upload stuff?

Here are the alpha channels for the Brazilian and Gran Colombian flags.

0d1n3oo3Broad did some great flag decals for Canada and Argentina, I think it's the first flagpack.

Attachments

• Brazildecal.bmp
    17.1 KB · Views: 219
  • Venezueladecal.bmp
    17.1 KB · Views: 225
VERY NICE. Are these already set up with alpha channels and everything? or do I have to do that myself. Please say they are already set up...

Also, does anybody have any ideas for Brazilian and Argentinian UUs? I was going to do a dance club for the Brazilian UB and some sort of stable UB for Argentina. But I can't think of any good UUs to use for them.

EDIT: Okay, they aren't but thanks anyway. I went into DXTBmp and copied the picture into the alpha channel, will that work or will that do nothing?

Hey Madman, I need a little help with my flag decals. I made black the alpha channel in the bmps you sent me. But when I put it into the game it showed up as a black flag with yellow stars, when it should be a blue flag with yellow stars (I haven't changed it over to burgundy yet). Here is a pic of it, hopefully you can figure out what I've done wrong here.

As you can see blue is the main color if you look at the settler's head-dress.

Does the Art XML say ""<bWhiteFlag>1</bWhiteFlag>"? If so, you should change the 1 to 0.

Does the Art XML say ""<bWhiteFlag>1</bWhiteFlag>"? If so, you should change the 1 to 0.

Nope, its right.

Code:
<Civ4ArtDefines xmlns="x-schema:GranColombia_CIV4ArtDefinesSchema.xml">
	<CivilizationArtInfos>
		<CivilizationArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_GRANCOLOMBIA</Type>
			<Button>Modules/GranColombia/Art/btn_GC.dds</Button>
			<Path>Modules/GranColombia/Art/FlagDecal_GC.dds</Path>
			<bWhiteFlag>0</bWhiteFlag>
		</CivilizationArtInfo>
	</CivilizationArtInfos>
</Civ4ArtDefines>

I can very easily erase the C and half the stars from my flag if you want.

I'm partial to the flagdecal I made for Brazil. It's accurate, though, it's the flag of the Kingdom of Brazil as opposed to modern Brazil - then again every uses Dom Pedro as the leader anyway so...

Actually, I mainly used that one as I like to use two-color, single symbols like the default flags (but you use the sevopedia anyway which uses different flags).

Edit:

View attachment FlagDecal_GranColombia.7z

Took two seconds.

Hey tsentom, I am trying to use your Brazil flag (because I had the same problems with Madman's) but it just shows up as a full on green flag. I tried switching the 0 to a 1 (and vice versa) but it still shows up as solid green. I can't figure it out. its flagdecal_newbrazil.dds right?

Top Bottom