[UXP] Legends of Revolutions

Going through the ArtDefines file now to make the ethnic art work for lower end settings (except frozen, I can't fix that).

The Viking Longboat is a UU, but it uses the same model and button as the regular old galley. So it definatly needs a new button. I'm going to use this model: General Matt's Wargalley but could probably use a better one.

Also like the idea of that middle eastern pirate suggestion for a Legend unit. Will need a model and button for that as well.

Oh and also the English Man of War needs a new model (and probably button), it's too similar to the regular Ship of the Line.

Anyone willing to do these, or should I ask in the unit request thread?

I heard somewhere some of the city art had 5000+ poly models which is definatly not acceptable.

There was one that was one that was 10,000+. Medieval European city scape i believe. I just converted it to trishapes instead of strips and its sitting at around 2600 I think. Me thinks the city art averages over 2000 normally in the core game, topping out over 3000. Each is made of 16 or so seperate buildings so I'm going to need a little bit higher threshold for those. They actually are less detailed than most single buildings.

Also while you're doing this, feel free to make the necessary adjustments in the XML if you find it easy (for instance if you cut a teepee model, feel free to replace it's entry in the CityLSystem XML with the meso equivalent). If you do that, it'll save me a ton of work ;) and I've found often it's best to make changes like that while you're working with it, since you're already refrencing the XML anyway, you know where you are, and what needs to change.

Funny you should mention teepee, I think one is going to wind up getting the axe, or tomohawk rather. Strange that its so many poly, since its pretty much a cone. Lots of strange stuff in this art. One egyptian building has 4000+ poly but from where I sit, I cant see how it possibly has over 200.

I'll start editing new city&buildings XML. Both of those are a little different than the normal XML that I mess with. (units and art defines mostly). But there arent too many that are unfixable.

There was one that was one that was 10,000+. Medieval European city scape i believe. I just converted it to trishapes instead of strips and its sitting at around 2600 I think. Me thinks the city art averages over 2000 normally in the core game, topping out over 3000. Each is made of 16 or so seperate buildings so I'm going to need a little bit higher threshold for those. They actually are less detailed than most single buildings.

Oh, I thought that it was for each building, not the entire city... Well in that case, use your judgement. If it's something that repeats often, it's gotta be lower, if it's a single instance object obviously it can be higher. Though I will put a hard cap at 3300 polys, any more is just asking to overwork the video card me thinks.

There's no need to merge in the terrain from Blue Marble. You just need to install BM to your CustomAssets folder, and it'll show up in LoR and other mods. :)
Just a note this wol't work, as Legends is set up to ignore custom assets. Was getting alot of crash reports, and other critical bugs in the old WolfRevolution mod due to custom assets being loaded and conflicting with the mod.

There's no need to merge in the terrain from Blue Marble. You just need to install BM to your CustomAssets folder, and it'll show up in LoR and other mods.

Please, Ninja2, could you explain more directly for a moron level person? I looked around, and do not see any specific "blue marble" folder in the system... I have it installed though. So which exact files do I need to pull, and where exactly to put them?

Sorry, I know I am a bit slow here. Or if there is another thread where this is already explained please point me there.

Oh, I thought that it was for each building, not the entire city... Well in that case, use your judgement. If it's something that repeats often, it's gotta be lower, if it's a single instance object obviously it can be higher. Though I will put a hard cap at 3300 polys, any more is just asking to overwork the video card me thinks.

Yeah, whole city. 3300 will be more than enough. And its only cities I need a high number for. I think I can get most eevrything else down to half that or even less. Hopefully I figure out or someone helps me with my texture problems and there will be very little that gets cut.

By the way have you seen the new modcomp; Terraforming & forest planting? No idea how hard it is to merge things. Thought it was atleast worth a look. Terraforming mods in the past seemed kinda farfetched and fanciful or just more tedium that AI wouldnt use/use right.

The Viking Longboat is a UU, but it uses the same model and button as the regular old galley. So it definatly needs a new button. I'm going to use this model: General Matt's Wargalley but could probably use a better one.

Wait, they use the same model?? The old galley has a sea dragon head??

Also like the idea of that middle eastern pirate suggestion for a Legend unit. Will need a model and button for that as well.

Awesome! Now we gots real pirates! Wonder what its abilities should be. Can't just be a boosted privateer, that would be boring.

Oh and also the English Man of War needs a new model (and probably button), it's too similar to the regular Ship of the Line.

Hmm, thats too bad. Yuo might need to ask in Unit request. That model was the most stand-outish I could find. Also look for JustATourists profile. I think he made the man o war, and he has some amazing ship reskins with really bright colors.

@Edgecrusher: nice work on 54th button. Makes my old one look like rubbish. Have you seen any of the other legend buttons in LoR? I know they kinda stickout and dont follow the standard format but thats what I was going for (plus I dont know how you make them look like vanilla buttons). If you like them you can use them, or better still I can make original ones for any you are lacking in Heroes mod. All my buttons are very clear and crisp, in my not so humble opinion:lol:. Just thought I'd offer.

New Test Build UP:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/legends-of-revolution/downloads/legends-of-revolution

Alternate Download:

http://files.filefront.com/Legends+Test+v09x2+Setupexe/;13734061;/fileinfo.html

Version notes:

Legends beta: 0.9.2x
-Updated RevDCM component to 2.00
--Includes Better AI 0.70f
-Minor tweaks to tech tree, the most notable is the fact Nationalism now requires Divine Right
-Repacked art, trimmed more fat from Wolfshanze.fpk
--hopefully made ethnic art more visible to low settings
-Various typos and minor bug fixes to issues reported in main thread
-Reshuffled leader traits as per achilleszero's list
-minor tweaks to traits (Protective and Enlightened gain a building or two with double production)

Spoiler :
Legends beta: 0.9.1x
-Added test build version and installation for dev testing
-Added double unit cost to upgrade if unit upgrades to different UnitCombatType, reduced overall cost of upgrades by 33% to compensate
-Moved Enlightened trait effects to SDK, information now displays correctly, also AI now knows of non state culture
-Moved Leonardo's Workshop functionality to SDK
-Moved Early Flyer to Legends catagory to remove from unit upgrade chart

Legends beta: 0.9.0x
-Added Unit Ethnic art, mostly related to Jet and strike fighters
-Some minor tweaks to ethnic art

This build is going to be the main download. There are quite a few bug fixes and improvements in 0.9.x I want to get out there, so I'm not going to stall for the division of the Native Civ. That can wait.

I really hacked into the art this time. I only cut out fat (unused art), but I might have missed and cut meat. If so, you'll see frozen models, broken animations or pink blobs. If any of this occurs please report it. Anyway just to make sure I didn't flub anything, I'm uploading this test version and will leave it marked as such till the end of the weekend. Providing no one experiences problems I'll update the main Legends Version in the OP to 0.9.2 So I really apreciate those who are willing to put time in to test it.

Next version, you may want to include the Light Brigade (cavalry) or Robin Hood (longbowmen) or even the Enterprise (carrier) as a Legend unit? :);)

Just a couple ideas I had for them.

Edit:
Also, I'm sorry, but I've never even heard of the Sacred Band or the 54th, and I'm a history buff. Perhaps the HMS Victory, commanded by Nelson...

If you want a good African legend unit, there's really nothing better than the Impi which is already a UU... they have no legendary units in africa, really, except perhaps Hannibal's Elephants, of which you'd have to think of a good name for :)

Next version, you may want to include the Light Brigade (cavalry) or Robin Hood (longbowmen) or even the Enterprise (carrier) as a Legend unit? :);)

Just a couple ideas I had for them.

All good ideas but he's really looking for a couple more asian or african Legends. I guess South American or AustroPacific might do if they were legendary. Rack your brain a bit and see if you can come up with some.

It needs mass name recognition. People need to see the name and instantly think "oh yeah, they kicked ass"

It might not have to be particularly better than an equivalent unit, but it needs a widespread legend type mystique.

It needs to be a concise, discernable group. Like the 300, they were one particular group at one point in time. Not very broad and not something that would be better as a Unique Unit.

The "Revolutionaries" seem to be the main romantic / famous heroes of this area. Sadly they don't map well to units but rather specific people.

Zapata was the famous Mexican revolutionary who led the ELS (the original "Zapatistas").

And of course there is Che. After Cuba and then a botched African adventure the CIA finally bought him a ticket in Bolivia, while he was leading the ELN.

Now, I am not sure how either of these could fit in... I am not sure how hard it would be to code, but what if we had a legend unit that was tied into the REV aspect of the game, a "super revolutionary" unit that could not be built by a current state, but that might pop up as the unit in a REV? "Such and such are splitting off from your Empire, with the support of the Zapatistas"...

A super revolutionary / guerilla unit would certainly be unique, it was a big feature of the early cold war / communist era, and it could have some fun features. It could be an incentive for a player to decide to switch to the REV force rather than stay with his crumbling state...

Starts with guerilla, commando, really good retreat odds, maybe also access to the espionage tools? A combat unit that could also do the "influence culture" spy attack would be pretty cool, and represent the way the sneaky cadres couldn't win on the battlefield but instead worked to win the hearts and minds of their people.

Just a thought.

How about the IJN Mikasa as Legendary unit. :)

"At Tsushima, Mikasa led the combined Japanese fleet into one of the most decisive naval battles in history. The Russian fleet was almost completely annihilated: out of 38 Russian ships, 21 were sunk, 7 captured, 6 disarmed, 4,545 Russian servicemen died and 6,106 were taken prisoner"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Mikasa

Also the HMS Victory would be an excellent choice if one of the current European Legendary units was to be replaced

The Yamato, the biggest battleship ever built.

The Boxers of the Boxer Rebellion... again could be a REV / insurrection unit. Had the powers of an Inquisitor unit to remove religions.

The VC... asian variant of the REV army idea.

Yamato and Bismarck are both WW2 battleships, but unfortunately the Bismarck is actually worth legendary status. Not only do more people care about Europe and the European Front, the Yamato never really did anything... legendary.

I like the VC idea because they were pretty badass, but they're already a UU, so that is ruined.

The "Revolutionaries" seem to be the main romantic / famous heroes of this area. Sadly they don't map well to units but rather specific people.

Zapata was the famous Mexican revolutionary who led the ELS (the original "Zapatistas").

And of course there is Che. After Cuba and then a botched African adventure the CIA finally bought him a ticket in Bolivia, while he was leading the ELN.

Now, I am not sure how either of these could fit in... I am not sure how hard it would be to code, but what if we had a legend unit that was tied into the REV aspect of the game, a "super revolutionary" unit that could not be built by a current state, but that might pop up as the unit in a REV? "Such and such are splitting off from your Empire, with the support of the Zapatistas"...

A super revolutionary / guerilla unit would certainly be unique, it was a big feature of the early cold war / communist era, and it could have some fun features. It could be an incentive for a player to decide to switch to the REV force rather than stay with his crumbling state...

Starts with guerilla, commando, really good retreat odds, maybe also access to the espionage tools? A combat unit that could also do the "influence culture" spy attack would be pretty cool, and represent the way the sneaky cadres couldn't win on the battlefield but instead worked to win the hearts and minds of their people.

Just a thought.

Now THIS is an idea I really like. So, the revolutionary unit would be like a Commando, Guerilla I, All the flanking promos, as well as a couple of spy attacks and Invisible to most units. Could only be spotted by something like... airplane recon perhaps? or mounted units?

Yamato and Bismarck are both WW2 battleships, but unfortunately the Bismarck is actually worth legendary status. Not only do more people care about Europe and the European Front, the Yamato never really did anything... legendary.

Neither did Bismarck. Both were just helluva big ships that everybody though were sort of scary or cool and both were sunk in their first real battle. The whole concept of huge ship with as many and as big cannons as possible was already outdated when the ships were build.

I like the VC idea because they were pretty badass, but they're already a UU, so that is ruined.

The VC are a pretty badass UU too.
20 strength squad inf would be good enough for a UU, but they get Woodsman I and two to boot, plus an auto retreat. If you played a multiplayer game that started in the industrial era, I'd almost wager Vietnam would not be allowed... (of course probably neither would germany). Keep in mind this mod is balanced for Single player, so the civs that get late game UUs get powerfull ones. Which will work fine in Multi as well, but if you were to start in the later eras, I just don't thin Germany or Vietnam would be balanced (in fact I can't see how I could balance them to be, and still keep them balanced for a full game)...

In deed. Yamato is ethnic art. She was a slick ship, but she didn't become the legend Bismark did.

Wow, this got bumped 4 slots while I wait for gomTV to play an actual match?

BTW Korean Star Kraft pro gaming is fun to watch:

http://www.gomtv.net/classics3/

What about a regular building which should have the same function as Moai Statues National Wonder ?

You could give it a new graph and a new name and should help little one tile islands to be more productive....

You will remember that in Civ 2, was a late game building which gived +1 prod by water tile...
Not cheap but very useful for little poor islands...

++++++++++++++++++

Problem with 1784 Earth included in your mod : i had to modify default rules... Because with "start as minors" is not fun....

++++++++++++++++++

Do you plan to add a few wonders or buildings...

What are the goals of this mod ?

I will download 0.9.2.x :goodjob:

What about a regular building which should have the same function as Moai Statues National Wonder?
The Dutch have their dike for that... but it might be nice to have something like that as a second national wonder at some point for the late game.

For the mod in general: Plays awesome so far, though the new AI and my 3-month break from Civ... wow, I'm getting hammered by it! :blush:

By the way, for what stuff do you need buttons? I'd like to take a stab at it, if possible...

Cheers, LT.

Top Bottom