Mr T (08/11/07)

Plotinus ...I am adding Mr T to EFZI2 as a "special" unit to rescue from the Zombies.
I made a Run sound and Attack C sound as well as Alternate Victory sounds and adjust all other sounds for pitch, sound level,timing, etc....
Made a New units_32.pcx and Small.pcx that can all be used if wanted.

Fun Unit :D

Thanks very much for those. I've added them to the download, so people can choose which sounds they like best.

These MacGyver references escape me. I don't ever remember seeing that show so I guess it was never aired in Scotland.

I never saw either MacGuyver or even the A Team when I was young - first saw the A Team a couple of years ago and MacGuyver just recently. If you have Sky or similar it's showing on one of the channels most weekdays at 7 or 8pm. Basically, MacGuyver is exactly the same as the A Team, except that there's only one of him. His gimmick is that he solves problems through ingenuity and scientific knowhow, by using everyday objects in highly unlikely ways. There was one a little while ago where he gets flown in to a cruise ship which has got several bombs on it, and he has to defuse them - but guess what! His bomb-defusing tools fall into the sea, so he has to do it with biros, milk bottles, etc. Even compared to the A Team's jerry-rigged jetpacks, most of MacGuyver's solutions are at least highly improbable and often completely impossible, which is part of the fun. My favourite was when he had to open a safe which responded to sound, and opened only when the correct tones were played. MacGuyver filled several wine glasses with wine and rubbed the rims, amazingly getting exactly the right tones first time. Except for one glass, which was off - so MacGuyver drank a gulp of wine from it, tried it again, and it was perfect. That could happen!

Patty and Selma in The Simpsons are obsessed with MacGuyver, and there was one episode where the actor who played him is a guest star, and they kidnap him and tie him to a chair. But he escapes by removing his own contact lenses with his tongue, holding them up to the sun, and burning through his ropes.

I'm still not making him though.

Well, yeah, Attack A: the preparations for the Attack B would take 15 minutes alone..

I watched MacGuyver when I was a kid, but never heard of the A-team before this thread. Never even seen Mr.T outside Rocky part 36 or whatever and some of the old movies and internet jokes..

In Britain at least, if you were growing up in the 1980s, you certainly knew who Mr T was even if you knew nothing about the A Team. Just as you would know who Darth Vader was even if you never saw Star Wars. He was just such a recognisable icon with such a distinctive image. Although I have to say I don't remember the Mr T cereal that Spacer One mentioned...

I have no idea who Chuck Norris is though.

A unit that goes beyond spectacular.

All of this discussion of Chuck Norris reminds me another extraordinary "character" unit: Kinboat's martial artist. Make that one a bearded blonde guy with jeans and boots, it would be Chuck Norris. He kicks alot.

I would like to see: Clint Eastwood for sure (as Dirty Harry and as a cowboy), Hiro from Heroes (because he swordfights and teleports), Spiderman, Superman (last unit in game for players who want to cheat to win), Sherlock Holmes with pipe and cape, Dick Tracy, Wyatt Earp, Marilyn Monroe as Princess, Dr. Who as scientific leader.

Mr. T will be added to my collection of "famous character" units already made: Mad Max, Lara Croft, James Bond, Darth Vader, Han Solo, Yoda, King Kong, Ash, The Mummy, Terminator, Neptune, Santa Claus, Stephen Hawking, Zorro (fencer), Captain Jack Sparrow, Galileo, Aristotle, Achilles, and Godzilla. Sadly, two of my favorites, Elvis and Jarmo aren't in the database!

I'm also keeping an eye on King Arthur's Super Scenario. . .

Edit: Almost forgot Utahjazz's Kool Aid Man and Lord Malbeth's Headless Horseman! Sorry for the oversight.

"famous character" units already made: Mad Max, Lara Croft, James Bond, Darth Vader, Han Solo, Yoda, King Kong, Ash, The Mummy, Terminator, Neptune, Santa Claus, Stephen Hawking, Zorro (fencer), Captain Jack Sparrow, Galileo, Aristotle, Achilles, and Godzilla. Sadly, two of my favorites, Elvis and Jarmo aren't in the database!

I'm also keeping an eye on King Arthur's Super Scenario. . .

Edit: Almost forgot Utahjazz's Kool Aid Man and Lord Malbeth's Headless Horseman! Sorry for the oversight.

You forgot: Robin Hood...William Wallace...The Yellow Submarine...The Heart of Gold...Flash Gordon's Rocket...The Firefly/Serenity...Link...

As far as Star Wars personalities, there are LOTS
Admiral Ackbar
Boba Fett
Mara Jade
Just to name a few...

A team? let me think... do they have a van of some kind? or was that one episode! I just remember Mr T in that scene where he comes up trough vans top window (you know like in limo!) with a machine gun of some kind and shoots the bad guys :D

This is the best unit I've ever downloaded.

Okay... I have to give this my honest opinion:

This is just a regular infantry type unit, but the awesome factor is almost entirely in the background. That means that if Plotinus enters him into this month's unit competition, I'll have to make a really special unit for me to stand a chance.. and I only have 20 days to do it. It's going to have to be reallly special, right?

One more thing.. AttackA, AttackB, then AttackC repeats until the end?

Well, that's part of the fun, spurring each other on like that. I've often tried to pull out all the stops to have a chance against another unit that I think will get lots of votes (even if I personally wouldn't have been inclined to vote for it...). You're right that this is really just a basic infantry unit, although I don't really see what that's got to do with anything (you might as well say that unit X is just a basic ship or basic aeroplane); it's still got to be built and animated, and that's true whatever its shape; also, it wasn't entirely easy to get it looking like him (the haircut was a little tricky, and the gold chains surprisingly hard). Plus, the sounds for a recognisable character like this are very important. I've noticed that people generally comment on the look of a unit and only rarely on the sounds - I remember in particular spending ages making the sounds for my Nazgul unit, and no-one mentioned them at all!

When a unit has three attack animations, it cycles A-B-C-A-B-C etc.

One more thing.. AttackA, AttackB, then AttackC repeats until the end?

Mostly it does so - but I've seen some weirder actions too (I've no idea what they're about).

Now, all that we need is someone to make a chuck norris unit..:rolleyes:

Oh noo.. I grew up on the A-Team and realy like this guy. So don't think I'm being a jerk about it. But if you had just made him a bare chested street fighter with all the same animations... if he didn't look like Mr. T, then he wouldn't get nearly the same kudos as he's getting right now.

I think that with 3 attack units.. it repeats C..

and you don't know who Chuck Norris is? Why Chuck Norris counted to infinity, twice!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8k3uGzgZIs

You're probably right. But then that's just the magic of Mr T. Maybe. Perhaps you should make the van... Chuck Norris is the Paul Bunyan of our day, I see!

I'm quite sure that three animations all loop. This is one of the odd things about Civ III:

If you have only one animation, it loops A-A-A-A... (obviously).

If you have two animations, it loops A-B-B-B-B...

If you have three animations, it loops A-B-C-A-B-C-A-B-C...

Try it and see. Of course the animations are made so that you can use whichever ones you like - either change their order or use only one or two of them if you prefer.

I had actually thought about making the van, but I dont have that particular model. I looked.

Wyrm: its not JUST an infantry...being MrT aside, its a "punchy/Kicky" unit...which could be popped into many urban scenarios...IMO there is a sore lack of modern units that arent soldiers of some kind, its getting better recently...anyway, I think thats also part of the appeal...

Tho Im probably wrong...it could just be cause its Mr T :p

You forgot: Robin Hood...William Wallace...The Yellow Submarine...The Heart of Gold...Flash Gordon's Rocket...The Firefly/Serenity...Link...

As far as Star Wars personalities, there are LOTS
Admiral Ackbar
Boba Fett
Mara Jade
Just to name a few...

I stand (actually, sit) corrected! I actually deliberately left out the Star Wars characters you mentioned because there were so many. . .but. . .if someone were to, say, suggest an Escape from LA mod (I'd love to do the map) I'm sure it could be populated with all of these, plus some LOTR characters as well. Then again, we'd need someone to make Snake Plisskin, and that's yet another unit request . . .the "requests" I made a few posts back were just for fun - to stir the creative juices, so to speak. BTW, Chuck Norris as Paul Bunyon?!??. . . what an odd thought. But I agree that more 'civilian' type units in every era would be cool, what with so many urban/modern mods popping up these days. Gotta have innocent bystanders, right?

I usually just look at the previews and do not experience the sound until it is actually in game.

I am just now starting to appreciate the sound files now that I have played EFZI2 --> Ash and the Old Geezer, especially... they really complete the character and are simply hilarious.

This unit is great because:
It really does look like Mr. T -- that can't be easy to do. Immediately recognizable.
It conveys weight in the animations.
Three attack animations is always a nice bonus.
Obvious time put into the sounds.

This will be a tough one to beat!

Top Bottom