Quick Questions and Answers

Spy...why didn't I think of that. Geez. And I am already popular with them, so I get surveillance quickly, and can spare a spy for a while.

...his tourism output is 8, no wonders, so I figure there might be one or two...

You get two points of tourism for each GW, so they really could all be in his cap. A theming bonus for Oxford gets you 8 tourism with three pieces. Good luck with your smash-and-grab, but I don’t think Shaka has much for you!

The GW tally is actually: 3 in capital, 1 in only city I'm not currently bombarding (poor guy...he built most of his cities coastal, and I have 6 frigates, all of them had 60+ XP on the start of conflict, with range promotion thanks to Brandenburg Gate).

Pity there isn't an option to sack a city (especially capital).

In the Game Options, Resources,...What is Legendary start?

The area around your starting position will have extra resources. I'm not sure what are the possibilities exactly.

In the Game Options, Resources,...What is Legendary start?

The area around your starting position will have extra resources. I'm not sure what are the possibilities exactly.

O.K....?? Seems like there has to be more to "Legendary" since there is a "Abundant" option as well,...

Doesn't make sense that they would put 2 options that do the exactly the same thing,..Right?

Abundant makes more resources across the map. Legendary Start just adds to areas around starting positions.

O.K....?? Seems like there has to be more to "Legendary" since there is a "Abundant" option as well,...

Doesn't make sense that they would put 2 options that do the exactly the same thing,..Right?

Abundant makes more resources across the map. Legendary Start just adds to areas around starting positions.

Not quite:

Legendary adds more bonus resources near all starting locations compared to standard and adds more copies of the primary luxury type.

Abundant makes every strategic resource on the map provide 50% more.
(e.g. instead of 2 / 4 / 6 iron, you get 3 / 6 / 9 iron.) It doesn't actually add any more hexes with strategic resources.

Not quite:

Legendary adds more bonus resources near all starting locations compared to standard and adds more copies of the primary luxury type.

Abundant makes every strategic resource on the map provide 50% more.
(e.g. instead of 2 / 4 / 6 iron, you get 3 / 6 / 9 iron.) It doesn't actually add any more hexes with strategic resources.

I love clear cut answers,...It's like finding the correct puzzle piece, and sliding it into place.

That really is good. Abundant resources works like that. Im wondering if ai pays more for abundant resources.

Do Research Agreements stack? By that I mean multiple RAs going at the same time equal in value as individual RA. Say "yes" please.

Relatedly, a weird thing happened. A turn came up and all the research required one round of play each, except for the end game research. It lasted two turns, with two advancements per turn, and then went back to normal. I thought it might have something to do with me spamming RAs.

This isn't a question, but I am just going to leave it here for amusement.

Workers are like goats - in India. On Indian tiger wilderness areas, the game keepers sometimes (used to?) take goats with them on a leash. If a tiger sees the person and the goat it will attack the goat. The goat is easier prey or closer to the tiger's natural prey. That has saved many a person's life in India going way back.

Similarly, during military advances many of us keep 1-2 workers out front to draw the fire. I thought you might like the analogy.

Do Research Agreements stack? By that I mean multiple RAs going at the same time equal in value as individual RA. Say "yes" please.

Yes, they are calculated individually, but the values of each RA depends on the amount of science generated between the two partners, basically you don't want to be doing RAs with the AI who are bad at science. you can refer here for more info: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=514438

Relatedly, a weird thing happened. A turn came up and all the research required one round of play each, except for the end game research. It lasted two turns, with two advancements per turn, and then went back to normal. I thought it might have something to do with me spamming RAs.

Yes, they are calculated individually, but the values of each RA depends on the amount of science generated between the two partners, basically you don't want to be doing RAs with the AI who are bad at science. you can refer here for more info: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=514438

However, with BNW, if you sign 2 RAs the exact same turn, you do have an increased risk of hitting the cap and losing some of the science.

Guys there is anyway to come back in good relations with a city-state after stealing a couple of workers? -2 influence per turn seems a bit too much to handle..

Keep a spy there, gift it units as Freedom, have a trade route with it as Freedom, intimidate it as Autocracy, convert it to your religion, and/or take Patronage to slow its influence loss.

Guys there is anyway to come back in good relations with a city-state after stealing a couple of workers? -2 influence per turn seems a bit too much to handle..

No. The effects last the whole game. In addition to the faster loss rate, your resting point drops by 20. And it is not just the one CS, but every CS on the map.

Yes, the penalty is harsh, and quite an ugly surprise the first time you are hit with it! You may want to reload or start a new game, and not make that particular choice/mistake again. I agree with you that it is a bit too much to try and play through. (Unless you like the challenge.)

It wasn't second worker steal, it was the second DoW. Steal all the workers you want from one CS, just don’t make peace between steals.

Keep a spy there, gift it units as Freedom, have a trade route with it as Freedom, intimidate it as Autocracy, convert it to your religion, and/or take Patronage to slow its influence loss.

None of those negate the lower resting point and faster influence decline. Those are all reasonable tactics for every game, but “good money after bad” once you have made that second DoW on a CS.

None of those negate the lower resting point and faster influence decline.

He specifically said

"-2 influence per turn seems a bit too much to handle.."

All of those methods substantially negate (or completely negate) that extra influence loss and make it entirely handleable. The lower resting point is completely irrelevant anyway if you're trying to stay allies -- shouldn't be dropping below 60 in any case. Obviously makes it harder for fresh alliances.

I mean, yeah, it's not an ideal situation...but there's stuff in the game that will let you handle the penalty anyway.

Well the shortest answer to this would be: if you plan to keep any relationship with any CS, don't let the CS's get weary.

If you do have weary city states there is no point in investing in any influence boost like Patronage, using spies, buying influence, or actively doing quests. Apart form some very rare cases when it may worth it, you don't want to expend any of your empire resources to get influence over City States.

Top Bottom