NiGHTS: General Discussion

Ditto. I just played thru half a game, for some reason I don't get the save options in the menu, but I plays more like a civ game; I played after the game patch so I don't know what it was like before but I tend to like it anyway. It is certainly a great improvement in the right direction.:) (Just wish we could get gold trading thru open borders agreements like in civ 4, so open borders wouldn't just be for military purposes.)

Some menu's as well as specific techs that were targeted for change by the patch are currently not working correctly. The mod itself is still playable, but there are bugs. I hope to have an update completed sometime over the holidays that not only addresses these, but adds other features as well.

Some menu's as well as specific techs that were targeted for change by the patch are currently not working correctly. The mod itself is still playable, but there are bugs. I hope to have an update completed sometime over the holidays that not only addresses these, but adds other features as well.

Found the answer to my save problem; just clearing the cache enabled the parts of the menu that were missing.

Found the answer to my save problem; just clearing the cache enabled the parts of the menu that were missing.

That's good to hear:)

As far as the next update goes - I'm sorry that it's taking this long. What started out as an update has turned into a full-blown expansion of sorts. I won't put an ETA on it as I probably won't meet it. I am going on vacation starting Jan 22 so all my efforts will go into releasing it sometime before then.

That's good to hear:)

As far as the next update goes - I'm sorry that it's taking this long. What started out as an update has turned into a full-blown expansion of sorts. I won't put an ETA on it as I probably won't meet it. I am going on vacation starting Jan 22 so all my efforts will go into releasing it sometime before then.

Well, its good to hear you're still working on it, though I keep hoping every day to see the new version. I've been playing with a few other mods and they each have some interesting attributes, but I still like NIGHTS the best.

I have never tried this mod yet but am very curious about it. Can some of it's current users let me know how playable is it at the current time? I will definately be on the lookout for the finished product and am eager to try it. My question I supose is do you guys think I should hold off on trying this mod until it is debugged?

I have never tried this mod yet but am very curious about it. Can some of it's current users let me know how playable is it at the current time? I will definately be on the lookout for the finished product and am eager to try it. My question I supose is do you guys think I should hold off on trying this mod until it is debugged?

It got broke by the last patch, as did most all other mods. Since a major rewrite is in progress you'll probably want to wait until it comes out. Maybe someone else has been able to get things working properly, but I haven't.

I played thru a full game. The only real bug I found that prevented play was that you couldn't research artillery. The game would crash -- but the AI couldn't build it either so that didn't affect balance. It's a very nice mod and plays a lot like a regular civ 4 game. I didn't play it before the patch so I don't know if everything else works as intended. The other thing is that you can't really trade for gold with the AI, something seems to happen and you cannot get gpt out of them; most likely that is something that was broke in the last patch.

I played thru a full game. The only real bug I found that prevented play was that you couldn't research artillery. The game would crash -- but the AI couldn't build it either so that didn't affect balance. It's a very nice mod and plays a lot like a regular civ 4 game. I didn't play it before the patch so I don't know if everything else works as intended. The other thing is that you can't really trade for gold with the AI, something seems to happen and you cannot get gpt out of them; most likely that is something that was broke in the last patch.

Thanks for the feedback Balerune.

Artillery and whatever Techs the patch tweaked pre-reqs for have a high probability of crashing the mod. As far as the gold trading - I'm assuming this is related to the patch as this isn't/wasn't an intended feature.

It wasn't my goal to make the game feel like Civ 4, but then again I'd rather it feels like Civ 4 than Civ 5 in regards to the building aspects.

On a side note - while going through code and fixing things the patch broke, I completely forgot that I had made some modifications to AI behavior in hopes of lessoning their DOW's. Have people in general found this to be the case? Or has the AI been just as erratic as in Vanilla?

found a possible bug, didn't see it listed as a feature or ability so...
playing as the english, when i run a trireme next to an enemy naval unit, i capture it automatically and they give me gold. not complaining, mind you.

found a possible bug, didn't see it listed as a feature or ability so...
playing as the english, when i run a trireme next to an enemy naval unit, i capture it automatically and they give me gold. not complaining, mind you.

You should have a 75% chance of this happening based on her modified trait - all in an effort to make the English a more appealing play-choice. Perhaps overpowered...

The ancient era archer unit, conclave, doesn't have a ranged attack ability. it's just another melee unit. I'm not sure if this was intentional, but it is slightly annoying.

Well, some time has passed since the last teaser. I've got to ask... are you any closer to giving out a target date for release? I've been puttering around with other mods, but always find myself checking to see if the new Nights is out yet.

Well, some time has passed since the last teaser. I've got to ask... are you any closer to giving out a target date for release? I've been puttering around with other mods, but always find myself checking to see if the new Nights is out yet.

The next update will be finished sometime this coming week. It's going to be massive.

The ancient era archer unit, conclave, doesn't have a ranged attack ability. it's just another melee unit. I'm not sure if this was intentional, but it is slightly annoying.

That's pure oversight on my part - the unit should be ranged. This will be fixed in future updates.

Hi. Any news on when your next patch/update will be out. Yours is the only mod I play when I play Civ V; even with the bugs I find it the best out there.

Thanks.:)

Hi. Any news on when your next patch/update will be out. Yours is the only mod I play when I play Civ V; even with the bugs I find it the best out there.

Thanks.:)

Sorry this is taking so long everyone. All I can say right now is that I'm making progress. The changes that I've made are taking longer than anticipated in regards to getting the AI to play along. That being said, I'll list some of what's going to be coming up in the latest release.

1) New Tech Tree
-While the current vanilla Tech Tree is sort of more like a vine, all I can say right now about the new NiGHTS version is that it's more akin to a pyramid. I'm currently working on some balance/UI issues in that regard. Each Tech also has a minimum of 4 buildings/units/advancements with early Techs being maxed out for some variety. My plan is for you to not be able to build each and every Tech and all of it's features so that each game feels more unique in regards to the choices you make.

2) New Great People.
-I don't want to get into too much detail, but there's over 30 of them now.

3) New Improvements.
-There's also 40+ more of these.

4) New Social Policies.
-Also completely new and revamped. The new system is a lot more complex and offers a wider range of benefits and consequences...

5) Happiness System
-I was never a fan of Global Happiness in regards to the name itself => This has been changed to a Stability/Unrest mechanic for more believability.

6) New Buildings
-Over 40 of these are being introduced.

7) UI Changes
-Basic Artwork for all new Buildings and Governments. New Improvements will make use of vanilla icons for now.

8) Unresolved Issues
-The civlopedia will not be completely updated on the next release as this digs into development time too much.
-Tech descriptions may not be completely implemented. I don't mean the description of the Tech itself, but what the Tech allows you to build, as everything is pretty much completely different.
-Diplomacy is not getting touched on this next release...

For the most part, the update is complete and now just awaits testing with the new hotfix. Hopefully there's no major or even minor changes in regards to core gameplay. Something as simple as adding a branch on the Tech Tree can make several Techs crash the game as some of you are seeing in the last version of NiGHTS.
There's also a substantial amount of LUA changes involved in the new build that can hopefully get past the hotfix unscathed. This was the major issue of the last patch which has culminated in how long this process is taking.

markus

That looks fantastic! Now if you would only just stop going to work/school, living life, eating, sleeping or anything else, you could finish sooner. :lol:

I have a problem that someone already had before. When I start a game, I'm unable to build a city if I not kill one of my Spearmen/Archers. It occurs that this problem is due to a lack of happiness.
What can I do to make it work?

I have a problem that someone already had before. When I start a game, I'm unable to build a city if I not kill one of my Spearmen/Archers. It occurs that this problem is due to a lack of happiness.
What can I do to make it work?

This problem is usually solved by clearing your cache and verifying your files through steam.

Top Bottom