City Swapping

wilro85

Chieftain
I'm playing a game as Venice right now, just entered the medieval era.

Russia is my closest neighbor and we have been good friends the whole game. They recently plopped a city near Venice in a location that I would love to have (if only I could build settlers). The city is size 1 right now and has no improvements.

I'm considering trading my second CS puppet (size 6 some building), which is in an average spot for this new city. Catherine's cash price is too high, but after I quit I thought, "I wonder if she'll take a bigger city for this one."

One of my biggest concerns is, as a tradition empire if I trade one of my first four cities away will I lose the free monument and aquaduct or will that city no longer count as one of my original four?

Also, Catherine is generally a backstabber right? I suppose I could just wait for her to turn on me then take the city by force.

I must ask, because I'm not in a position to check myself, how much does she want for the size 1 city?

How many lux/strat resources? Is it next to a mountain? Coastal? on a river/hill? Jungle?

She was asking for a small lump some of gold (about 10% of my supply), approximately 3/4 of my GPT, the last copies of my two luxeries, and my last iron resource.

This particular city is in the desert. Within the city radius has access to 2 oasis, 3 wheet, several hills, gold, and a 6 unit iron resource. Plus my religion has desert folklore and the city state I'd be trading is grassland/jungle.

Edit - Also of note, this is a land locked city, but on this particular game I've spawned on the coast of the north side of the contient and only CS's have ports. Russia, China, and Greece are all land locked. Japan, the Ottomans, and England have coastal cities but they are on the other side of the contient and out of naval range (no harbors yet).

I'm not currently playing right now, so this is from memory. I think she asked for about 87 gold when I had about 900 on hand and about 63 GPT when I'm making about 75 GPT.

So last night I finally got to get back to my game where I decided to try this. Catherine wouldn't take the straight swap of a partially devoloped size 6 city for a new size 1 city, but it reduced her asking price to 33 GPT (plus the resources). So the trade was as follows:

I recieve her new size 1 city for my size 6 purchased city state, plus 50 gold, plus 33 GPT, plus furs, plus dyes, plus my last iron. While that seems like a steep price to pay, I figured 50 gold is nothing for my economy; 33 GPT is affordable; the furs would be replaced by gold the new city has; the only copy of dyes I have is going with the city I'm trading; and the city I'm buying has 6 iron so I'll recover that as well. Once I made the trade though, I found something pleasantly suprising. It would seem that because I no longer had dyes to give after the first turn all of the recuring trade deal was cancelled. This is probably a bug/exploit, but it was helpful for my game.

So last night I finally got to get back to my game where I decided to try this. Catherine wouldn't take the straight swap of a partially devoloped size 6 city for a new size 1 city, but it reduced her asking price to 33 GPT (plus the resources). So the trade was as follows:

I recieve her new size 1 city for my size 6 purchased city state, plus 50 gold, plus 33 GPT, plus furs, plus dyes, plus my last iron. While that seems like a steep price to pay, I figured 50 gold is nothing for my economy; 33 GPT is affordable; the furs would be replaced by gold the new city has; the only copy of dyes I have is going with the city I'm trading; and the city I'm buying has 6 iron so I'll recover that as well. Once I made the trade though, I found something pleasantly suprising. It would seem that because I no longer had dyes to give after the first turn all of the recuring trade deal was cancelled. This is probably a bug/exploit, but it was helpful for my game.

How did you lose the dye ? I paid a fortune to have Rome DOW England. He DOW'd but within a couple of turns I got notification that the deal was up. Lost the lump sum gold, but got my GPT and luxes back.

Top Bottom