Order of tech research when a GS is burned

kingofsealand

Warlord
So i was winning a game as jakarta last night and got so far ahead that what I did really didnt matter much. I had put off researching the steel side of the tree for waaayyyyy longer than normal. I usually let this one languish because then the AI has something I dont so my trade routes with them all net me additional science.

I bulbed some tech and still had not researched steel. This was pretty far along to not have steel but I didnt expect what happened next, I bulbed the tech which was near completion thinking id get excess science to redirect into another new tech. Instead, steel instantly researched the same turn as the tech I bulbed. If you have excess science (from a GS) to the point that you have more available than another re-searchable tech requires does the computer just start applying it from the bottom of the tech tree up?

No, it is likely that steel was the only available research since you waited for so long and at that point it would be done instantly.

I've noticed the overflow is applied to the first tech on the list of your "Choose new research" sidebar. You can control it by queuing techs I think.

this used to drive me mad, had the same issue with RAs.
Then I got told about setting up the order of techs you research in the science screen.
Use either the shift or contol key, sorry I cant remember which and I am at work right now
Hope this helps
JD
Will check in tonight and edit this answer if nobody else gets to it before then.

this used to drive me mad, had the same issue with RAs.
Then I got told about setting up the order of techs you research in the science screen.
Use either the shift or contol key, sorry I cant remember which and I am at work right now
Hope this helps
JD
Will check in tonight and edit this answer if nobody else gets to it before then.

Never realized this was possible, played hundreds of hours of this game and still learn something new on a regular basis. I am also at work but will definitely try this out when I get home.

This is always a nice lesson learned. I always make sure to have a tech or two in queue just in case a research agreement comes to an end without me realizing it and definitely during the scientist bulb fest near game's end.

Wow, I didn't even know you got overflow beakers from using a GS. Silly me always took care to choose a tech that wouldn't result in overflow so that I would get full use of the GS.

Basic queue (clicking on a tech yet unavailable) is good in this case, however I was able only to set the final destination, not the path to it. It's good to know that I can actually queue things manually. Such info should be a part of tutorial or something...

If you select a tech a long way in advance so have a queue it defaults the route to along one line until it hits a tech needing a pre-requisite then goes back and catches up.

I fins it best to do the tree semi manually so you make sure you pick up the odd important tech along the way at a better time.

I pretty much always use the queuing method

Hold down shift and click away at the tech and it shows you the order it's going in.

AQlways queue techs ahead then u are ready if you bulb or finish a RA !

Top Bottom