Militaristic City States - Unique promotions?

kevytmaito11

Chieftain
I just hate the idea that Militaristic City States gives u unique units. It just feels stupid and breaks immersion. Instead of that it would be so much better that they would give unique promotions to units. That would not be hard to implement but would be also more fun? Any thoughts?

That could be interesting, but I'm not sure what promotions they would give exactly.

I just hate the idea that Militaristic City States gives u unique units. It just feels stupid and breaks immersion. Instead of that it would be so much better that they would give unique promotions to units. That would not be hard to implement but would be also more fun? Any thoughts?

I do like the idea of giving them promotions, but they could just experience points instead of specialized promotions. Either way, I think it would be an improvement.

B-but I LIKE getting Janissaries from city-states. :c

Militaristic city-states are already generally weaker than the others; the main reason to ally them at all is if they're pumping out a particularly bad ass unique. These would have to be some ludicrous promotions for it to be competitive.

B-but I LIKE getting Janissaries from city-states. :c

Militaristic city-states are already generally weaker than the others; the main reason to ally them at all is if they're pumping out a particularly bad ass unique. These would have to be some ludicrous promotions for it to be competitive.

They also give their share of crappy units too. That I don't need and/or will barely use.

In which case you don't need to ally them? It's the same as when you've got two mercantile CS's that are both making porcelain.

In which case you don't need to ally them? It's the same as when you've got two mercantile CS's that are both making porcelain.

Personally, I wish that every Mercantile city-state would have a different unique resource.

...how does it break immersion for a militaristic city-state to gift units? ...They're a CS defined by their attribute of having an extensive or well-trained military. It naturally follows that the most valuable thing they could provide to a bigger ally is indeed a military corps or an equivalent.

Getting a promotion from a CS would just be...awkward and strange. Who gets the promotion? Or does everyone get it? What is the difference between being allied and being friends? What happens when your influence drops to neutral? Does the promotion just go away all the sudden? Or does it stay with you? Doesn't that mean you could make totally game-breaking units by only giving small amounts of influence whenever it drops back down and keep amassing more and more promotions? Is the game even coded to potentially allow a unit to lose a promotion? There certainly aren't any examples of that occurring.

Them giving you units is way simpler, easier, more sensible, and honestly more useful. Getting unique units from them is definitely appreciated...though I kinda wish each militaristic CS had a different UU gift for each era, instead of only ever giving you one that goes away once it's outdated. But that would end up a little silly and probably broken with loads of unique units on the map.

...how does it break immersion for a militaristic city-state to gift units? ...They're a CS defined by their attribute of having an extensive or well-trained military. It naturally follows that the most valuable thing they could provide to a bigger ally is indeed a military corps or an equivalent.

Getting a promotion from a CS would just be...awkward and strange. Who gets the promotion? Or does everyone get it? What is the difference between being allied and being friends? What happens when your influence drops to neutral? Does the promotion just go away all the sudden? Or does it stay with you? Doesn't that mean you could make totally game-breaking units by only giving small amounts of influence whenever it drops back down and keep amassing more and more promotions? Is the game even coded to potentially allow a unit to lose a promotion? There certainly aren't any examples of that occurring.

Them giving you units is way simpler, easier, more sensible, and honestly more useful. Getting unique units from them is definitely appreciated...though I kinda wish each militaristic CS had a different UU gift for each era, instead of only ever giving you one that goes away once it's outdated. But that would end up a little silly and probably broken with loads of unique units on the map.
He means that city-states giving civs' uniques is immersion-breaking. I disagree with this point, but I guess it's each to his own.
As for the special promotion, he never said anything about losing promotions. Just that he thinks that the unit gifts should be normal units with unique promotions. So, basically city-state specific unique units. Eras weren't mentioned, but I imagine that a city-state could give the same unique promotion to a gifted swordsman and a gifted rifleman.

Top Bottom