Shoshone Honor

JIntegrity

Chieftain
Disclaimer: This is not trying to suggest that this is the only way to play the Shoshone, nor suggesting it is the most viable. I'm simply sharing a fun way to play the Civ' in a way that most people consider "dead" in BNW.

It is 500 A.D. and WWI has begun. All the nations of the world, allied for their very existence against the destroyer of nations and overlord of the eastern world: Pocatello.

First thing to note, this is on King difficulty. I played Emperor/Immortal Pre-BNW and lost even on Prince after the expansion. However, after playing some multiplayer games, I feel I could play on Emperor/Immortal once more, and only played this game on King just to verify. That being said, this may or may not be viable on higher settings (though I see no reason why it shouldn't).

Secondly, I have not built a single caravan or trading ship. I DoW'ed early and often. I did suffer a GPT deficit (I remember seeing it as high as -16 GPT after I built the Terracotta Army). This never effected me though due to a combination of barb' huts and city captures.

My capital is my only non-puppet city.

Finally, I opened and completed Honor before opening another tree (at the point I'm currently saved at, I have not yet opened another tree). I'll admit, I clicked the bonus to adjacent units promotion without thinking, and, had I not, I'd probably had picked up another policy tree. Once I did that, though, I said "Screw it." and finished Honor. The gold for killing enemy units will surely assist me in my efforts to take on four nations single-handedly, however, so it wasn't a total waste.

With that all out of the way, the simple truth is the Pathfinder is amazing. CB on turn 11. I built nothing but Pathfinders until I unlocked The Statue of Zeus (took longer than one might think. My priorities were unit upgrade > free tech > free population > free culture/faith (depending on my needs) > money > the others). While some might argue I should have rated the money higher, I simply did not need it.

Once the Statue of Zeus was completed I had a 2 CB and 3-4 Pathfinder army. I moved in to position and DoW'ed on turn 50. This could have been done much faster, but I was very unlucky in finding ancient ruins. Had I not spammed Pathfinders, I'd have been lucky to get 2-3 as any other Civ'.

Following that, I built the Temple of Artemis in my capital while, after killing Carthage, I marched on India (I had two other closer Civ's, but he had denounced me and I hate Ghandi in every game I play with him. :D). A CS I had earned killing barbarians with my Pathfinders granted me a spearmen and a warrior around this time. This would prove useful due to, after finishing the Temple of Artemis, I built the Terracotta Army.

I upgraded the Warrior to a Swordsman before Terracotta Army finished. I now had an army of 3 CB, 3-4 Pathfinders, 2 Swordsmen, and 2 Spearmen. My GPT was around -16 at this point. It was do or die, so, once my troops were in position, I killed Ghandi.

At this point, the only nations left in the east (Carthage and India were dead) were Russia and I. Despite my three wonders and four puppets, she was the score leader and the tech' leader. She was just beginning to build Pikemen. I decided, at this point that, if I left her alive, she'd continue to outstrip me, so I attacked her.

At the point in the game I saved at (a turn or two after WWI began), I have taken Moscow and St. Petersburg. I DoP'ed Catherine. I fully expect her to backstab me later and have left a Spearman behind to help protect the cities. while the bulk of my army (2 swordsmen, 2 CB, and a Pathfinder are all that remain besides my general) moves westward to fend off the upcoming Western invasion (of four nations working together I might add).

I have 3 GG, so two may be invested in to citadels. Luckily, the West is split off from the East by a large mountain range, and the only ways through are controlled by my Carthaginian puppets and Moson Kahni.

Once I finish the NC - I didn't get Pottery or anything beyond until I had Engineering (CB and Colosseum), Iron Working (Swordsmen), Mathematics (Catapults I never ended up building), and Horseback Riding (Circus Maximus, yay :) ) - I'll reinforce my army (I'll probably have Physics around that time for Treb's) and fight my way through the western armies to conquer the world.

Probably should have played Emperor...

I haven't needed caravans or cargo ships, and will probably only get them if I get enough plunder in the west to afford to rush buy them to trade with CS (or Russia if I can get her to play nice).

With that all being said, I hope some of you find this enlightening. Despite the (I still feel legitimate) claims that early warmongering got nerfed and that Honor is a terrible tree, I've fully enjoyed this game (It's been a blast!). One of my CB got the ability to fire twice a turn extremely early, due to the +50% experience buff, which probably won me several cities a turn or two faster than I would have won otherwise.

I think the biggest thing to take away from this is, once you start warmongering, you really can't afford to stop, both figuratively in the way the AI hate you, and literally in GPT. You're paying for that army, so if it isn't clearing barb' huts or conquering cities for their gold, then you're wasting them. I think this is actually more realistic than the previous Civ' V games, and makes for far more exciting games than I ever found in GaK or Vanilla.

Hope you enjoyed this, and feel free to try it yourself. It'll be one of the most exhilarating games you've played in a while, I promise. :)

Ok. That story makes me feel bad for struggling on Prince with the shoshone. I think I am just getting bad luck with finding ruins..

Well I don't know about emperor difficulty as i havent played on that difficulty level but on immortal and deity your capital isn't going to be as big as if you'd went tradition that's going to hurt in the long run as is the culture/tech penalty for puppets, and the significant delay in getting NC. I think on higher difficults this is going to hurt your chances at finishing the other AIs. Also your chances at getting early wonders are suspect as the AI loves to build the temple of Zeus

Ok. That story makes me feel bad for struggling on Prince with the shoshone. I think I am just getting bad luck with finding ruins..

My current Shoshone Prince game is just so easy Im struggling to finish it to be honest! I actually want the computer to attack me but he never does of course.

This definitely sounds fun. However, it MAY work on Emperor and certainly won't work above it, as 2 CB's and 4 Pathfinders will simply get destroyed by the AI's extra units.

I also went honor and domination victory with the Shoshone recently, although in my game I managed to pick off capitals of hated civs and keep the diplomatic peace with the world for a long long time (until it was too late for them to stop me! bwahaha) - also showing that you can warmonger and have friends, you just have to be careful.

The gold for killing units in honor can be great, and gets better at higher difficulty as the AI will come at with preposterous waves of enemies that can be chewed up by ranged units. I had so much money in this game that I was racing against a diplomatic victory, because I could have easily bought one once the option became available.

Top Bottom