How to modify GameFonts.tga for FREE

So I threw this together, firstly I know it is in the wrong format but I was just wondering if anybody could convert it to TGA properly (I can't seem to do it myself) and if there is a way to make this workable as a gamefont_75.tga. Actually is that one necessary? I am not really sure what I am doing obviously, but I think I made the Alpha Channel correctly.

I don't have winrar here, and not the rights to install it, but i expect, that there's the normal Gamefont.tga in it, right?

but I was just wondering if anybody could convert it to TGA properly (I can't seem to do it myself)

:confused: why?

and if there is a way to make this workable as a gamefont_75.tga. Actually is that one necessary?

No, you can't make the normal GameFont.tga work as _75. Resizing will screw all the things up (just because a pixel can't be resized to 3/4 pixel, because a pixel is the smallest available unit).

Necessary: Yes, the _75 shows the symbols in the civilopedia.

Well, I am not sure how to work with these files, and I have heard that it is very difficult, so I was just wondering if someone with experience could take a look at what I have made and convert it to proper format (because it is in dds format right now), not to mention I have never really edited the Gamefont tga (at least properly) and I just wanted to make sure everything is right.

hmm, I have to make a GameFont_75 too? I find it odd that they did it like that considering one is just a smaller version of the other. But I suppose I'll have to.

hmm, I have to make a GameFont_75 too? I find it odd that they did it like that considering one is just a smaller version of the other. But I suppose I'll have to.

yeah you have to. i think i emailed firaxis a dozen times to get rid of gamefont.tga and just make it a dds like everything else :mad:

hmm, I have to make a GameFont_75 too? I find it odd that they did it like that considering one is just a smaller version of the other.
That's pretty much the crux of it, at such small scales, automated resizing sucks, so the smaller file allows the artist to make it look good by fiddling with it. That's pretty much the reason why the GameFonts.tga is a pain for so many people - it's pixel-fiddling.

Cheers, LT.

:):):):)! Apparently when I saved that file I should have looked at it because now when I load it up, it gets warped and screwed up. :sad:

Ugh, I suppose I am going to have to try again, does anybody know how I can edit this with a new alpha channel correctly?

you are using DXTBMP right?

Yeah. My problem right now is I think that I have done all of the XML properly so now I'm trying to start the mod but I keep getting CTDs when I load it up. I looked over the XML over and over again, so I'm thinking it might have to do with the Gamefont.tga that I tried to make (and tried to use). So I'm thinking that is probably the cause of this issue, and I am hoping someone can put it together correctly.

EDIT: I mistakenly thought I posted the latest version here. If anyone can help me out that would be awesome, I posted all of the files I have (I think) correctly edited in the Graphics modpack thread, but everytime I try to put the alpha channel together with the image it gets all screwed up! Help!

At the risk of beating a dead horse here, I still can't get this damn thing right. I think I am close though, HERE IS A LINK to the page in the Graphics Modification Requests Thread, it also has a link to my latest files and a screen shot of the game showing where things went right (in green) and where things appear to be be wrong (in red), so if anyone could check that out it would be awesome.

Thanks.

Hi Everybody!

I've edited both Files as described in this Tutorial and basically: It works fine! =)

But the Font looks gibberish now (really awful) and the Symbols a little too. I just added a example Image from the Game for Reference (I use Civ4-BTS - current Patch).

What was my fault? I've checked the fixing thread, but it doesn't solve the problem. (Or, I'm just a moron^^)

(Sorry for my bad english, it is not my mothertongue)

Attachments

• Gwynnaeron-Stadt.png
    Gwynnaeron-Stadt.png
    469.2 KB · Views: 232
Thank you!:)
If I deactivate the mod which use these files, it looks complete normal (for gods sake). I think I did something wrong at the drawing part of this tutorial, but im not sure.

I really appreciate your help, thanks for your time!

Attachments

• Desktop.rar
    125.6 KB · Views: 176
I took a short look at them, the problem is not that the icons are ingame blurry, the problem is that they're already in the file blurry.

I guess when you've edited the file you did it with an external program and therefore saved the file in a more handy format, right?
If yes: What format? .jpg and .gif are bad, because you lose quality in these formats. If .bmp, .tiff or tga, these are fine...but then we have to find another reason for the blurryness.

Only *.bmp (the same format, as used by the "send to editor"-command). But I copied the modificated Icons from another *.tga-File (extracted with the same Program as described in the tutorial) - that was cheap, I know =/ - and used the screenshot button to paste it in gimp. Then, I marked the Symbol + Copy ...finally I pasted it in the open Paint-Programm with the designated file to complete. At least, some corrections with Color Extractor and Pen, to fill the spaces.

(I use Paint from Win7 - can this be probably an issue?)

Top Bottom