Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Great Scientist

Votes: 52 46.4%
  • Great Prophet

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

AW Arcaeca

Deus Vult
What do you find the most useful great person?

Kind of a stupid question, but I just wanted to see how useful they actually are comparatively, always looking to improve my gameplay.

I say great engineer. Nothing more satisfying for me than rushing a wonder and actually building it faster than a normal building! (in fact, most of the time that is the only instance I build wonders)

EDIT: Though I also quite like great prophets - but only the first few, for founding, enhancing my religion and spread it among my own cities. But after that they're pointless to me.

I don't think there's a Best "GP".

They are all so different from each other, and all have different set of tasks they can accomplish and aid in you in different ways.

Overall, I guess Scientist are the BEST because of the fact that Science = Better Shot at winning, the further you move up the tech tree the more powerful you become.

I have a personal but likely illogical preference for Great Merchants, and always complete the Commerce tree.

Capitalism, ho!

Nothin' like getting a wonder of your choice in only one turn! Great Engineers are basically a free wonder.

Great Admiral is so bad he didn't even make the poll. :lol:

Oops, seem to have forgotten them... :crazyeye:
Well, true, they really aren't all that great.

Great Admiral is still a bit crap in navy heavy games. I went naval domination on a game and without the relevant policy he was too slow to keep up with the naval death machine. And that policy does come with quite an opportunity cost. The biggest benefit to having one seems to be early ocean crossing.

#1 Great Scientists for those Academies early. If you don't do this, then at a high enough difficulty level, the AI will be completing wonders before you even research the tech that would allow you to use a GE to build it.

Now a free person from Leaning Tower arrives at the right time to use for PT.

And with the way faith based great people work, chances are you will produce equal number of faith based GS as GE (if you complete both Tradition & Rationalism)

But most of your natural born great people should be scientists.

Great Artist? O.O

Artists can be useful for Golden Ages - more production, culture and GPT, so with right timing they can guarantee completing a wonder like Great Engineer can. I still prefer GE, though, because they allow for insta-wonders even in small cities (I recently managed to get one quickly enough and used him for Colossus in my new costal settlement).
But scientists are obviously my favourite kind of GP.

Scientist for me. Feels nice popping 6-7 10,000 beaker scientists heading for a science win. Who needs engineers when you have the tech lead to snag the wonders before others have the tech.

Really depends on what victory you're going for. Great General/Admiral for a conquest, Great Scientist and Engineer for Cultural and Science. You can't say there is a best.

Great Engineers, It some times the only way to get the valuable wonders.

Great Scientist, is a close second. accelerate science, thorugh with Spys not as essential as they use to be.

Great Prophet. Start/enhance religion, Holly sight. all very nice. though in many games I let my neighbor give me his religion instead of perusing one my self.

The first Great Prophet you get is invaluable if you get it early, since you can grab a religion with a decent Founder's belief. Otherwise, Great Prophets are marginal (unless your game features a struggle for religious dominance)

On the whole, I prefer Great Scientists since they are always useful, throughout every game.

Once I get one Great Prophet, it goes downhill from there.

I also like bombing tiles with a Citadel every once in a while. Great Generals and Great Scientists are still way better, though.

Top Bottom