A thought for hidden sites

Cicerosaurus

Emperor
Just reflecting on hidden sites that become visible as you advance and (presumably) gain better technology.

Rather than have the hidden sites on land, why not have them as shipwrecks from old trade routes? There would need to be a new unit- a marine archeologist- and some changes to allow for a cultural site off shore, but this more or less happens with the Barrier Reef.

Any thoughts?

I like this although it will be rare for shipwrecks to occur if it requires tradeships to be pillaged because mine almost never get pillaged xD

Hmm, I don't think a new archaeology unit would be good. I like the idea, though I think it would be better if archaeologists could develop land & water sites (although archaeology doesn't exactly evoke images of aquatic excavation)

Hmm, I don't think a new archaeology unit would be good. I like the idea, though I think it would be better if archaeologists could develop land & water sites (although archaeology doesn't exactly evoke images of aquatic excavation)

as opposed to a marine archaeologist and a land archaeologist. Also, another consideration is that it would probably be rare that you would have a site close enough to be worked by a city.

I thought about the sites not being close to the city and they would just have to be ones where you rob an artifiact- that is not unusual with land sites now. Perhaps if it was extended to naval units such triremes that would bring them closer to your cities (at least out of deep water).

And yes about the archeologist- maybe finishing exploration would extend the ability of the ordinary archeologist to "dig" a marine site.

The more I think about it the more I like it. Although someone will probably come and bash the idea soon, so far I think it would be a really neat addition. It would give a needed buff to exploration and reflect some really neat excavations throughout the years.

An idea nice from far and far from nice ;)

Naval trade routes are not plundered that often in the game. In comparison to combat with barbarians, this is a seldom even. Furthermore, it would deny you the possibility of building a landmark, because it's hard enough to imagine such thing even possible.

From technical point of view, it's just too much of a bother. I would be much more inclined to "possible dig sites" since in real life there is only a chance that you'll find something of interest, not certainty.The number of possible dig sites could be tripled and before an actual excavation could be performed, a "probing" would be required. This could take 1/3 of the default dig time. Just like in real life, this would come at a cost of many demolished improvements and more time wasted just on searching rather than on discovering.

IMO hidden sites are useless; I run out of room to put them before I run out of sites to dig.

An idea nice from far and far from nice ;)

Naval trade routes are not plundered that often in the game. In comparison to combat with barbarians, this is a seldom even. Furthermore, it would deny you the possibility of building a landmark, because it's hard enough to imagine such thing even possible.

Not to put too fine a point on it,I'm not convinced you can ascertain the frequency of plundering. You are only aware of what happens to your trade routes or those to your cities. Early in the game you can't see a lot of the map, nor see what is going on and later on you can again see little (depending on map size, alliances, and spies). As an example, I could build no cargo ships and therefore my perception would be that no marine routes were plundered.

There are probably many reasons to disagree, but I don't know whether this one is valid- especially if it is extended to Naval wrecks. Not that I see it being introduced anyway.

As for the two above posters- I tend to agree. I often run out of spots in a tall game.

I think this would be a nice change, but to make it even better I'd have such digs have an option of producing instant wealth or two artifacts (because trade ships are carrying gold/coins/goods from both civilizations).

My other change: I'd have Great Admirals have the ability to lead a great expedition, which provides an instant, one time massive boost of happiness and causes all cities to enter "We love the King" day.

Just reflecting on hidden sites that become visible as you advance and (presumably) gain better technology.

Rather than have the hidden sites on land, why not have them as shipwrecks from old trade routes? There would need to be a new unit- a marine archeologist- and some changes to allow for a cultural site off shore, but this more or less happens with the Barrier Reef.

Any thoughts?
:agree:

Top Bottom