What exactly are theming bonuses and how do they now affect France?

Astraeus

Chieftain
Hello!

I've had a look at the description for France's new "City of Lights" ability, but I just don't get it. This is probably a really newbish question but what exactly is a theme bonus? I've looked on the wiki but don't really understand how it relates to France's new ability. Which aspect of museums and wonders is doubled?

Thanks in advance!

It is a newbish question ;).

The theming bonuses can be seen on the culture overview screen; in certain world wonders and museums there are multiple slots; if you match the requirements (which differ depending on the wonder/museum) then you get a bonus amount of tourism. Take the Louvre, for example: have two artifacts and two paintings, all from different eras and civilizations and you get an additional 4 tourism per turn.

In France's case, all of these bonuses in wonders built in the capital (and Paris' museum) get double the amount - so a correctly filled Louvre would obtain 8 tourism per turn.

If you complete all of the aesthetics policy tree, the amount of theming bonuses double - so the Louvre in Paris actually could get you an additional 16 tourism per turn.

Some cultural buildings and wonders are able to hold multiple great works. For example museums, the Louvre or the Sydney Opera House. You will get a theming bonus if you fill those slots with great works that complement each other. This bonus provides extra tourism, which is doubled for france. The requirements for the bonus vary from building to building and are to be found in the respective tooltip.

Example: The louvre filled with 2 artifacts and 2 paintings will give 8 :c5culture: and 8 tourism from great works. If these great works fit the louvre you will get a theming bonus of +4 :c5tourism:
France would get +8 tourism as a theming bonus in the Capital.

edit: ninja'd

IMO, even if it doesn't seem like a lot, it ends up being a very substantial boost. Once you get the multiplier effects going in your capital, it's very noticeable. France is one of the top tier civs for culture victory.

to add to the noobish inquiry:

could someone clarify please in the example of the Louvre... does Theming require all 4 works be of the same era and type and civilization? or do all 4 works need to be different from each other or what?

Mouse over to see exactly what each theming bonus requires.

to add to the noobish inquiry:

could someone clarify please in the example of the Louvre... does Theming require all 4 works be of the same era and type and civilization? or do all 4 works need to be different from each other or what?

Has to be 2 Great Works of Art and 2 Artifacts. All with different Civilizations and Eras.

For instance:
Ancient Indian Artifact
Classical Greek Artifact
Medieval Incan Painting
Industrial Portugese Painting

It's a difficult one to fill until later in the game.

thanks man

oh, also i see that there is after all a minor reason to bother digging antiquities in different areas of the world, rather than exclusively in your own borders. even if that reason is only minor.

In your borders, make landmarks. They will give tourism too!

thanks man

oh, also i see that there is after all a minor reason to bother digging antiquities in different areas of the world, rather than exclusively in your own borders. even if that reason is only minor.

If it's within 3 tiles of one of your cities, landmark it. Otherwise artifact. You should find that in general, you have more slots than artifacts this way, so you'll want to dig in other areas besides your territory. Neutral ground and city states are good, plus you can take 1 from each AI without diplomatic consequences. I usually do this first - one from each AI.

My current impression is that France is far inferior to Brazil when it comes to cultural victories. Most theming bonuses come from wonders, and any strategy that relies on you getting the wonders you want is going to fall apart at higher difficulty levels. (unless you restart the game every time something doesn't go your way, of course)

chazzycat - when do you research archeology?

that depends of course, but in a peaceful culture game that is going perfectly according to plan, not until after radio. I've found that on immortal you can delay archaeology a bit and still fill all your slots the majority of the time. It's not a big deal if you fill them a little later...you just need them filled when you start getting the multipliers later in the game. losing Eiffel Tower on the other hand is not acceptable in my book.

My current impression is that France is far inferior to Brazil when it comes to cultural victories. Most theming bonuses come from wonders, and any strategy that relies on you getting the wonders you want is going to fall apart at higher difficulty levels. (unless you restart the game every time something doesn't go your way, of course)

most of the key wonders for culture victory are attainable at immortal, and at emperor & below they are downright easy to get. I'd say France is quite good unless you play deity.

^try a few games with Brazil and see how that works out- i tried 2 games w/Brazil (King difficulty) and found this civ to be a complete joke.

-Tourism +100% during Golden Ages
-GA,GMusician,GreatWriter 's 50% faster during Golden Ages
-Brazilwood camps (unique tile upgrade on jungles) give +2 gold, after Acoustics gives +culture
-Pracinha (infantry) points towards a Golden Age for each kill

so it turns out that the Brazilwood camps suck vs. tradingposts improvements. basically you'll be making trading posts on jungle tiles until you do get Acoustics, but i just didn't bother by that point in the game.

my outlook on Tourism is that it only starts being effective around Industrial and after. most of the work you put into getting your Tourism engine running happens before Industrial, and doesn't start to actually work on other civs until late game. so this diminishes a lot of this part of Brazil's gameplan. it doesn't distinguish Brazil's need to get the Taj (for the Golden Age) or the Louvre from France's need to get these. it even necessitates that you build Chichen Itza for the longer Golden Eras early in the game in order to gather more GArtist, in order to save them for later Golden Ages. France's strategy just seems less complicated to me, but your results may vary if you decide to save a lot of GA's until you complete the Taj.

I thought they just gave Culture.

Cheers.

After hotels. One of the Wolrd Congress resolution bumps it up to 15 each :eek:

This makes me want to learn more about the algorythm for placing them. Something about fighting battles early in game...

Or is it totally random?

That's true, but Hotels and Airports add that culture to your Tourism (National Tourism Board or whatever does the same thing in one city).

One point that I missed about the Tourism screen until fairly recently is that you can trade Great Works of art with other civs, which can help you get that Louvre bonus.

^ i've looked at this feature, tried to activate it with another AI and couldn't (a Friendly AI ofc), and generally found the screen to be a bit confusing anyway. i'm going to try doing this again in my current game in a couple era's. it's also a bit unwieldy to try to place a certain GW in a certain city or certain GW-building. i need to get better at that interface; part of the charm in this whole system i guess is its unwieldiness

Top Bottom