Fallout 4

I swear the new patch made NPC's even more untolerable. They keep walking out on me during converastion. If they have their stupid little routine of circling around the house / room sitting on all chairs and sofas they can find and if there's no forced major quest related conversetion with them, they keep on walking! They're just randomly continuing on walking during their speech which cuts short when they walk a few steps away. >_<

Just got so mad with one, I couldn't stay in character. My usually good / neutralish logic driven, not "must do good" or "must do evil" nonsense - character that is. Commited senseless murder... Triple murder. It's probably not spoiling anymore at this point if I say Rex Goodman, right? That annoying idiot you save from super mutants at a certain tower? Stumbled upon his "radio station"... And that where it got me go nuts. Mind you I sas already pretty pissed by that point.

There's this Rex Goodman guy, another guy and a woman hanging inside this little station. I start talking to the woman, she says something about how nice me saving Rex and starts circling around me dragging the dialogie camera all over the place. I ask what she's doing there and before she can finish a sentence walks off into another room... to tell another guy that Rex is in danger and what is he gonna do about that... after she just thanked me for saving him. Rex was sitting next to the guy. I try talking to her again, and again she walks out on me without finishing and goes on to sit on imaginary chair in the middle of the room. WTF? If only she could sit in that glitched out position on invisible chair, but noooo. NPC's can't stand or sit in one place for more than 2 seconds, because that's Bethesda's view on how to make immersive living radiant NPC's right? Let's make them circle aimlessly in a repetitive pattern 100 times, getting stuck, glitching out with environment, and bumping into other NPC's causing them fatal errors - reboot - teleport, all before going to bed (IF they even have a sleep cycle)... so she stood up and walked off again.

During all this they kept spouting out idiotic comments like it's not a nuclear wasteland just outside this little shack. My patience run out and I flipped popping their heads off and throwing a few molotovs on their bodies, alas their bodies did not burn. Only a killing blow with molotov actually visually leaves a burned body. Oh the satisfaction. Saved over several most recent saves in order not to be able to change my mind the next day...

Downloaded a mod the other day that lets you rename settlers to things like "farmer", ""guard", "scavenger", etc. Lack of proper mod tools means it's a semi-inconvenient hack, requiring .bat files that you run via the console, but even that immersion breaking pain in the ass is much better than Bethesda's vanilla system of just keeping everyone's name as "Settler" and expecting you to just remember what each generic moron is doing.

You can with this mod, that's how it's done. If it can be done without a mod I don't know how.

Unless they disabled it in F4, bring up the console > click on NPC > setname insertnamehere

Yeah I guess that doesn't work in FO4. I've read lots of threads of people using every console command under the sun and nothing works. That's why people were resorting to things like hoarding particular clothing outfits so they could dress people doing certain jobs in certain ways.

I had the mayor (or leader) of Bunker Hill keep glitching out and she kept trying to go to sleep when I was trying to turn in a quest. :) I kept having to wake her up. I blame it on narcolepsy. :) That's the only major issue I've had with walking away NPC's, other than trying to track down my companions, they like to move around a lot too making opening the trade window a pain sometimes.

You can check which NPC is working a particular resource by highlighting the resource and any settler assigned to it will be highlighted as well...It's not very practical, but so is this whole settlement system...

So I just had an encounter that I think sums up my problems with this game neatly.

I'm walking along in what passes for a forested area and I come across a small trove of items. Nothing great. A few nuka colas, a toolbox, and a box of .45 ammo. There's a guy just labelled "Scavenger" standing next to this stuff. As soon as I get within earshot, the guy yells "I found it first!" and starts shooting at me. That's it. No dialogue whatsoever. No chance to tell him he can have it. No chance to offer him 50 caps to go away. No speech check to try to convince him it's rigged and will blow up if he touches it. Just "I found it first! *BLAM BLAM BLAM*" That really seems to be Bethesda's entire design philosophy boiled down into a perfectly demonstrative single encounter.

The settlement management would be 10 times easier and smoother if the game would pause during building, taking you OUT of "the game" into god camera with all settlers and stuff listed in a proper menu like in a proper building game.

The settlement management would be 10 times easier and smoother if the game would pause during building, taking you OUT of "the game" into god camera with all settlers and stuff listed in a proper menu like in a proper building game.

Agreed. They obviously didn't do it like this because of the consoles...

So I just had an encounter that I think sums up my problems with this game neatly.

I'm walking along in what passes for a forested area and I come across a small trove of items. Nothing great. A few nuka colas, a toolbox, and a box of .45 ammo. There's a guy just labelled "Scavenger" standing next to this stuff. As soon as I get within earshot, the guy yells "I found it first!" and starts shooting at me. That's it. No dialogue whatsoever. No chance to tell him he can have it. No chance to offer him 50 caps to go away. No speech check to try to convince him it's rigged and will blow up if he touches it. Just "I found it first! *BLAM BLAM BLAM*" That really seems to be Bethesda's entire design philosophy boiled down into a perfectly demonstrative single encounter.

Well, it's the wasteland after all...Shoot first, ask questions later and all...

Wow I soooo wish I wouldn't have decided to progress the main story to the point of BoS appearing, by killing certain merc. They're everywhere now. Everywhere, just everywhere. Wherever I go, either by fast traveling or not, they appear goddamn EVERYWHERE with their stupid vertibirds. I'm not even exaggerating, since they appeared I only managed twice to travel somewhere not closed off (like Diamond city) via fast travel and not hear vertibirds... and I made quite a few travels, clearing outs and a couple of quests since. One vertibird crashes, another appears, one squad of knights lands, after a few moments another.

By all standards they successfully occupied the commonwealth completely unopposed. What I saw so far, with their numbers and tech they should've taken over the whole globe by now.

Agreed. They obviously didn't do it like this because of the consoles...

I don't see how consoles are reason for not doing it that way. They didn't do it that way because quite simply they probably thought this way is cooler or simply didn't think at all.

Or because they were imitating Minecraft, let's be real honest about this here.

I don't see how they get jet fuel for those vertibirds. Or maybe they get it from oil cans like I do for my generators LOL. But I never like Bethesda's vision for the Brotherhood of Steel (to be fair, Tactics started this trend). I always envisioned them as a small, tight knit group as in Fallout 1/2, not a major military organization.

I have progressed the main story line quite a bit, and I'm beginning my final push towards the end of the game. I have no interest in continuing after I finish the main plot except maybe to try to snag that achievement of getting a community up to 100 happiness (I've already been raising my charisma in hopes of getting this). The story has gotten a little more interesting, but still too much remains unknown for me to critique. I'm glad the plot wasn't spoiled for me with that video review earlier. It wasn't what I thought.

I agree about settlement options. I'm too lazy to track down settlers to see if they are free or not. I built a whole bunch of shops, but no one is manning them. I'm assuming I have to assign a settler to those shops. I'm too lazy to get to it. I procrastinate my settlements. And why bother with defense when I get a quest that pops up when it's under attack, and I can just take care of it myself.

sigh, the battle of
Spoiler :
Bunker Hill
quest is all messed up. Very frustrating I have to restart from the beginning. This is a very bugged quest. Especially trying to do it the "good" way. That's enough annoyances for the day for this game. And I really wanted to keep that gauss rifle I picked up, first one I found all game. Oh well.

And on the previous quest a raider with a fat man launcher hits me with a little boy while I'm sneaking and my indicator still says hidden in green. Total BS. I think the
Spoiler :
institute courser
was spotted, but I was still hidden with max level of sneak. Do I really need to mention the ridiculous number of fat mans floating around this game, not to mention power armors.

Those vertibirds are pathetic. I witnessed today one lone low level raider chick taking down a vertibird. I then killed the raider with one shot using combat rifle when she started running towards me to engage in melee. You probably can see how this was confusing for me to say the least. I'm not even gonna question how the hell did she manage to shoot it down single handedly, yet alone with what...

Starting to think those crashes are scripted. How else would you explain me seeing a vertibird circling around a location (that I cleared before), shooting, then spiraling and crashing. When I saw that I ran there. There was no one there, no bodies, nothing. They certainly couldn't run off, I was too close for anyone to leave "out of view". Then I remembered same thing happening when I was clearing the location, only then there were mutants whom I was clearing, shooting it down.

Top Bottom