No Man's Sky

Birdjaguar

Hanafubuki
Super Moderator
Supporter
I just read about this game and it seems quite ambitious. do you all know anything about it beyond what is on the website?

I've been waiting for this game for way too long. I mean, I'm just hoping it's not gonna disappoint, as I've been disappointed by the promise of infinite procedural space exploration in the past. But it sounds like a dream game for the type of person I am. When something sounds like a dream project... That can be a good thing, or bad premonitions...

I'd be happy to only have discovered this game today, as it's gonna come out in June theoretically. Instead I've been anticipating it for... what... 2 years now. I dunno.

There is a bunch of info available about the game. Just browse the game's subbreddit... Or check this info repository, dunno if it's quite up to date. http://secretonline.github.io/NMS-Info/

I know the fear. Didn't spore promise much and fail on most counts?

Looks like Elite? I'm talking about the original one, similar concept, taken to the extreme, right? Haven't played the new Elite so I can't make any comparisons there.

I would try it out but I'm skeptical about a game with such a giant universe. It would be fun to explore for a bit, but I think without direction I would eventually get bored exploring new planets. I don't know much about the gameplay, but I think I'd enjoy just flying around seeing new worlds.. But when that gets old, what then?

One thing I didn't like about Elite was that I eventually just realized that every place you went was pretty much the same place. It might look a bit different, but it's all essentially the same. There was that initial "Whoa you can fly wherever you want" intrigue, but eventually I caught on and it stopped feeling like that. I also hated flying around trading stuff, that's not my thing.

So I'm cautiously optimistic, I would give this a try, I assume that some gameplay elements are going to be different from what I'm expecting.

I would try it out but I'm skeptical about a game with such a giant universe. It would be fun to explore for a bit, but I think without direction I would eventually get bored exploring new planets. I don't know much about the gameplay, but I think I'd enjoy just flying around seeing new worlds.. But when that gets old, what then?

The direction is that your goal is to get to the center of the galaxy. Supposedly planets become weirder as you get closer to the center. You need to gather resources and upgrade yourself as you go deeper I think. Of course it's open so you can just ignore that goal I guess.

Anyway, if exploring is fun just for 100 hours, that'll already be decent. I'm hoping there is infinite fun to be had, but eh.

I don't plan on getting it until its on sale, and only if it's really good. Exploration is fun but my worry is that it will get boring after a while and long before you get to the center due to a lack of depth.

Still, hopefully it is good. I know a few people who really are happy to just explore.

The direction is that your goal is to get to the center of the galaxy. Supposedly planets become weirder as you get closer to the center. You need to gather resources and upgrade yourself as you go deeper I think. Of course it's open so you can just ignore that goal I guess.

Anyway, if exploring is fun just for 100 hours, that'll already be decent. I'm hoping there is infinite fun to be had, but eh.

Ooooh I like the sound of that! Might just have to pick this up

Lots of journalists got to play the game in the past days and the embargo was lifted 45 minutes ago. New information was given, including a price ($59,99 USD) and release date of June 21st.

The No Man's Sky subbreddit has many links to news articles and a bit of footage right now. Sadly, the footage is always the same, but at least it's new.

Seems to be night and day cycles, alien races whose language you have to learn if you want to communicate... among other things.

Lots of journalists got to play the game in the past days and the embargo was lifted 45 minutes ago. New information was given, including a price ($59,99 USD) and release date of June 21st.

The No Man's Sky subbreddit has many links to news articles and a bit of footage right now. Sadly, the footage is always the same, but at least it's new.

Seems to be night and day cycles, alien races whose language you have to learn if you want to communicate... among other things.

But will it be fun to play? That is the million dollar question.

The early reviews have been very positive so far; however, the authors are quick to point out that they have been allowed to play so little of the game that they can't adequately judge whether it fully lives up to its hype or just seems to on the surface. (kind of like Spore)

Let us not speak of Spore XREBIRTH ever again.

Fixed !
The last best space game was X3 Terran Conflict, since then its been going down hill for space sims, even star citizen looks like it will under deliver. I doubt No Man Sky is going to live up to its high expectations. Especially not for the $60 preorder price

I don't understand the hype for procedurally generated exploration games like this.

Procedural works for games like Diablo where the fun is in the killing, the items, the character builds, etc, and the setting mostly just adds flavor...

But for a game like this, the procedural content is the game, and I just don't see it being interesting for very long. Exploration games are fun because it's an interaction between a designer and a gamer - like the old game master/player relationship. You get to try to figure out all the cool stuff the designer has placed in the game for you to find and figure out.

Procedural stuff has no soul - you recognize the patterns pretty quick and then it's just repetitive.

I imagine that trying to chase the non-repetitive algorithms would be a great way to waste a ton of developer resources for marginal improvements. I for one fear the procedurally-generated stuff in the game is going to be super formulaic.

But if the game delivers on everything else it promises, I can overlook some of the formulaic content. Think of every single planet landing in Mass Effect 1. Every structure was a cookie-cutter copy of all the others but the game was still great.

This game was supposed to be released in 2015.
Then during summer 2015, it became "2016", later to become "June 2016"
Then IN JUNE 2016, it became "supposed to be released on August 9th 2016" (for PC users in North America (me) and PS4 in NA, or 12th for the rest of the world)
Then for us PC users in North America, four days before release, it became "supposed to be released on August 12th" (a four days delay announced four days before release).

As someone who's been following this since 2013...

I don't understand the hype for procedurally generated exploration games like this.

Procedural works for games like Diablo where the fun is in the killing, the items, the character builds, etc, and the setting mostly just adds flavor...

But for a game like this, the procedural content is the game, and I just don't see it being interesting for very long. Exploration games are fun because it's an interaction between a designer and a gamer - like the old game master/player relationship. You get to try to figure out all the cool stuff the designer has placed in the game for you to find and figure out.

Procedural stuff has no soul - you recognize the patterns pretty quick and then it's just repetitive.

This. Creating an interesting open world is fine art. Even handcrafted worlds usually fail. It's hard to see how an auto generated can compete. No doubt it will be fun to explore for a couple of hours, but now it's like selling an indie experimental project for a triple-A price.

Top Bottom