CK2 succession game

Nice writeup! Certainly sounds like it was an interesting start all-around. With regards to the Capet wife, would I not be mistaken that if her claim were pressed, and she became Queen, then Arakhor's heir would also become heir to France?

Yeah. Of course, she's like 20 years younger than him.

Just to give you an idea of what I'd had to start with, I loaded in to find that I was actively plotting to murder my cousin's son, because that would move me up one step in inheriting the County of Hainault. :nono:

A month later, Adele Karling was forced give the County of Vermandois to her relative, who promptly became my vassal. Two years later, the Norman-French war ended with King Philippe seizing Vexin. During this time, I was plotting to murder the Duke of Aquitaine's eldest son, so that my sister-in-law might become Duchess after he dies (he's 70-ish right now).

In May 1092, I forged a claim on Amiens, but I can't press it, because the Countess is a vassal of the Duchess of Burgundy, who is my brother's mother-in-law (and the wife of the Duke of Aquaintaine). In Jan 1094, I honoured my father's betrothal plans and married Princess Constance of France, who is apparently my half-sister's daughter. :shifty:

It is now the beginning of 1095 and my mother has recently died. I'm hoping that I won't lose a bunch of other people as well!

I'm curious about the logistics of this. Would a party need, say, the horse lords dlc to participate b/c the game starter has that?

Yes. The major DLC we're not using are Sunset Invasion and Conclave.

Just to give you an idea of what I'd had to start with, I loaded in to find that I was actively plotting to murder my cousin's son, because that would move me up one step in inheriting the County of Hainault. :nono:

Cue Game of Thrones theme.

After another short stint, I can present you with the abbreviated highlights of the last five years.

After the death of the decidedly crumbly triple Duke of Aquitaine, Gascogne and Poitou, his three duchies went to his three sons, whom you may remember had been targeted by the assassins of yours truly. However, since Robrecht's brother was married to the Duke's daughter and his youngest son was not yet an adult, I saw an opportunity to push her claim. By May 1099, the newly adult Duke of Gascogne and Count of Saintonge was forced to cede those titles to his elder sister, making Robrecht's brother Filips jure uxoris Duke of Gascogne.

1099 turned out to be a most profitable year, with the mysterious death of the new Duke of Aquitaine somehow getting trapped between a lone archer and a grassy knoll, leaving another niece as suo jure Duchess of Aquitaine, and my hard-working chancellor discovered that I had a thoroughly legitimate claim on Rheims, though the Bishop of Rheims is the vassal of the Duke of Champagne. so I can't "intervene" there either.

Further good news heralded the birth of the Twelfth Century as there was a terrible manure accident at a local inn, which claimed the life of the Count of Guisnes, yet another non-dynastic relative, but one whom was both inexplicably popular with the electors, as they preferred him over Filips, and thoroughly unpopular with a dozen nobles who were all quite happy to invite him to the aforementioned inn.

It should be mentioned that I now have an infant son, Rollo, but given that the electors keep wanting anybody but Filips on regular occasions, including King Philippe of France (!), my son will have to wait a while to see if he can be included in the succession.

Yes. The major DLC we're not using are Sunset Invasion and Conclave.

That might be a problem. I did mention I'm missing Horse Lords and Republics in the main thread, didn't I? :(

I think you may have done, yes.

If you're worried about them not adding features to feudal or tribal people, merchant republics are pretty interesting vassals and raid victims, while horse lords adds the silk road and better merc band mechanics. You can make a ton of money even with someone else's trade post in your land, but if you own it (ie on the silk road) then you'll be swimming in dosh.

Sounds like the intrigue is being put to good use. Keep it up!

I take it Flanders itself has elective succession?

Indeed, yes. Dad set that up, but Filips is clearly the best option for the foreseeable future, even if I do have a baby son now.

In today's thrilling instalment...

In summer 1101, I decide to educate my son Rollo personally and betroth him to my niece, Duchess of Aquitaine since her dad took an arrow to the nasties. Later that year, my half-brother, the Duke of Holland, decides to make a claim for one of my provinces and poor old Dirk has a tragic encounter with a deadly viper the following spring.

In April '02, whilst I'm minding both my own business and that of my liege (without his knowledge or permission), I hatch a plan to kidnap him, which succeeds, so now he's enjoying house arrest in Brugge. In November, King Philippe asks me to be his spymaster, which I suppose is fair enough, because I'm actively keeping him "safe" right now.

That August, another of my half-nephews proves to be more popular with the electors than my brother, so I take action against him. Unfortunately, my plot never succeeds and I end up throwing him in the oubliette in 1107 when I catch him plotting to murder someone. Whom it was exactly, I couldn't care less. :mischief:

In May of 1104, my second son, Rutger, is born, so I promptly betroth him to a princess of Aragon. Meanwhile, the Latin Rite is spreading wonderfully in the Despotates of Nikaea and Samos, with only the County of Smyrna still holding to the Greek Rite.

After the death of King Philippe in my comfortable rooms in Sluys in late 1105, I begin spying on his son, King Louis VI. Like father, like son?

In 1106, it turns out the Count of Thouars has been bedding my wife, who is also my half-niece and a princess of France. She later becomes pregnant and I expose her perfidy to the court. The resulting daughter is acknowledge simply as a scion of House Capet.

In December of that year, the Duchess of Aquitaine dies in an accident. If it was actually an "accident", the instigator got away scot free. :( I betroth Rollo to a princess of the HRE instead.

In August of 1107, I also kidnap King Louis and install him in his father's room in Sluys, and in June the next year, he agrees to grant Flanders its independence. My third son, Gerulf, is born three days later (12th June, 1108).

Before I present the results of today's instalment, I should point out that Paradox is having another DLC sale this weekend, with The Republic at 75% off and Horse Lords at 66% off. It's a perfect time to pick them up cheaply. :)

A short one today, because tomorrow we may even be able to fulfil one of Daddy's goals. :p

In October 1109, Robrecht swears fealty to the Kaiser, making the German Netherlands a thing. He promptly starts spying on him (of course). The Kaiser, seemingly unaware, appoints him his spymaster. :mischief:

Young Rollo finally achieves adulthood, but I do not yet have any additional land to grant him. I did build a new castle in Brugge (the barony of Oostende), but that's already in the hands of an NPC baron.

I am somewhat amused to note that, in 1111, one of the other dukes in the Empire has started a faction to make me Kaiser, which does not sound like a sensible idea. I do however join the Duchess of Tuscany's faction to lower crown authority, but in my capacity as the Kaiser's spymaster, I discourage her from the idea and thus become the faction leader.

That June, my spying pays off and my agents bring Kaiser Konrad on an unscheduled visit to Sluys in a rather fetching canvas carriage. In July, I relent and accept a 250 ducat ransom from my half-nephew, King Louis of France. After all, I shouldn't be too greedy about my guests!

In August, I decide force the lowering of crown authority whilst the Kaiser is my guest. He accepts and Imperial crown authority drops to low. The poor boy who is currently Duke of Saxony will learn to regret that decision...

In August, I decide force the lowering of crown authority whilst the Kaiser is my guest. He accepts and Imperial crown authority drops to low.

If I manage to become emperor I'm going to hate you forever :(

how's Greece going btw?

Why would you ever want to go above medium CA in vanilla? Medium's when vassals can't fight each other, and getting Saxony now is so much more important than having medium CA when you become Kaiser. Saxony is damn big.

Why would you ever want to go above medium CA in vanilla? Medium's when vassals can't fight each other, and getting Saxony now is so much more important than having medium CA when you become Kaiser. Saxony is damn big.

I don't like my duchesses marrying outside of my borders and their lands suddenly leaving my realm when they die.

Almost all of Samos and Nikaea are Catholic, rather than Orthodox, so my little Byzantinist soul is busy dying, easy as my chaplain goes out on my orders. :p

Robrecht is 46 now, so it probably won't be too much longer before he expires.

Top Bottom