Mac Mod Installation Solutions

I have an older Mac, and went back to pre-Rev A for my own reasons. But I remember that with Rev A some of the files are stored in a different place (same volume as the OS, user folder IIRC) than where the game itself is installed, and the folder names were, IIRC, confusingly similar.

Hopefully Alan can help you sort this out.

The alternative location for mods, and the one that I think Aspyr have tried hardest to support, is ~/Documents/Civilization 3 Complete/Scenarios/

As far as I know the locations are interchangeable, and /Sccenarios/ and /Conquests/ folders are also supposed to be interchangeable.

Brad Oliver said in this thread that the ~/Documents/Civilization 3 Complete/Scenarios/ (or /Conquests/) path was the preferred place. He wrote the code that looks for them, so I guess he should know.

His recommendation is based more on the fact that this will prevent mods being removed during any application upgrade installation, but maybe you should try mods there first, and it they don't work then copy them to the application folder.

My guts tell me that, if a mod doesn't work in one location, it probably won't work in the others either. I'll have a look at this one (is it Rise and Fall of Rome?) and see if I can spot the problem.

I've just tried installing the Rise & Fall of the Roman Empire mod, v1.3, using Civ 3 Complete on an intel mac, and i get one of those bloody loading errors. Specificly,
"Art\Units\Hastati\LegionaryRunFoot1.wav"

The file is there, of course, but dammit...
It isn't there when I install it.

I've installed Rise & Fall of the Roman Empire and updated it to v 1.3, and I don't have a file called LegionaryRunFoot1.wav in my /Hastati/ folder. Spotlight finds one in Civ III Complete/Civilization Game Data/Art/Units/Legionary/, so I copied that to the Art/Units/Hastati/ folder and the mod loaded up OK. I don't know whether there are any more problems if you try to play the game, but that one looks like an oversight by the mod designer.

Presumably the Windows version of Civ3 manages to search more extensively for incorrectly defined mod file paths, so it works on Windows more by luck than judgement.

Oh hey, so it isnt. Well, now im feeling quite the fool... still, least its easy to get working.

And as per your advice ive moved all the mods and such into Documents ^^

Oh hey, so it isnt. Well, now im feeling quite the fool... still, least its easy to get working.
Often if there's one file missing, there's also another, that may show up later in the game. When you're confident that you can play an entire game successfully, post to that effect. I'll then add a formal solutions post as I have done for the other mods.

With regards to the version of Civ that you need- would having Civ3 Complete be the same as having both vanilla and conquests in terms of what has to be done for these mods?

With regards to the version of Civ that you need- would having Civ3 Complete be the same as having both vanilla and conquests in terms of what has to be done for these mods?
Complete has vanilla , PTW, & Conquests, so if you have Complete installed, you will have the /Conquests/... path for installing mods; but unlike the original Macsoft version, it has no editor.

the Heart of Destiny mod has a similar issue to the Rhys of Civ mod, and can be fixed in the same way.

'Art\Units\..\..\CIV3PTW\extras\Medieval Japan\Art\Units\[insert unit name]\[insert missing file]' is the error, and it seems to happen for every unit in this folder. So we can fix it using the following:

1. Nav to the Civ III Complete\Play the World\ folder.
2. In this folder, create a folder called "CIV3PTW"
3. Inside the CIV3PTW folder, create another folder called "Extras"
4. Nav to the Civ III Complete\Play the World\Extras\ folder.
5. Copy the "Medival Japan" folder, and place the copy inside Civ III Complete\Play the World\CIV3PTW\Extras\ folder.

Thats the only issue ive found so far. Will keep you boys updated. :)

Oh, also... the WW1 Divisions mod works just fine. Played it from start to finish without issue.

the Heart of Destiny mod has a similar issue to the Rhys of Civ mod, and can be fixed in the same way. ...Thats the only issue ive found so far. Will keep you boys updated. :)
:wavey: Welcome fellow MacFan!!
Let us know when you're confident there are no more bugs, and I'll link to your solution in the first post.

Well, ive been playing Far Horizons: Heart of Destiny for about a week.. and with the fix i suggested in my last post, it seems to work just fine, with no problems. :)

I'm grappling with RFRE I haven't tried yet (can't play till Friday) but I think I may have it working. I put the RFRE folder and all the .biq files in the Civ3 Complete/Conquests Data/Scenarios section. However, when I dled version 1.2, the folder had to .biq files which were something like "275 BC-EASY" and "275 BC-HARD" since they are named differently from the original .biq files it obviously did not ask for an overwrite, but I'm assuming that if everything worked and I go to scenarios that I will see both versions? i hope... on a different note...I get an ungodly large page of unreadable text when I clicked the link to version 1.322 (it started with somethin like rar Is, no idea what that means) my god this is getting annoying...I've racked up nearly 15 posts just for one mod...

I'm grappling with RFRE I haven't tried yet (can't play till Friday) but I think I may have it working. I put the RFRE folder and all the .biq files in the Civ3 Complete/Conquests Data/Scenarios section. However, when I dled version 1.2, the folder had to .biq files which were something like "275 BC-EASY" and "275 BC-HARD" since they are named differently from the original .biq files it obviously did not ask for an overwrite, but I'm assuming that if everything worked and I go to scenarios that I will see both versions? i hope...
It should work well. The two BIQs you mention are different scenarios that use the same basic ruleset and both look in the same folders for art & text that the whole RFRE mod uses.
on a different note...I get an ungodly large page of unreadable text when I clicked the link to version 1.322 (it started with somethin like rar Is, no idea what that means) my god this is getting annoying...I've racked up nearly 15 posts just for one mod...
15 posts where? In the the RFRE thread they can probably help you with game play issues, but will be relatively clueless about Mac installation problems.

lol, to be honest I helped end one page and create two other's worth of posts. anyway I think I can live with playing a slighty older ver. At this point I'll just be happy if it works. As I stated earlier tho, I gotta w8 til Friday.

EDIT: almost forgot, while lookin thru the RFRE folders, I found two .ini files, I'm guessing I just leave em where they are?

on a different note...I get an ungodly large page of unreadable text when I clicked the link to version 1.322 (it started with somethin like rar Is, no idea what that means) my god this is getting annoying...I've racked up nearly 15 posts just for one mod...

That's probably just Safari, or whatever browser you use, downloading a file as text instead of as a binary file. Right click the link in your browser and tell it to download the linked file. Then go to wherever you usually download files to (eg your Desktop), and you'll probably find the file there, maybe with '.txt' tacked onto the end of its name. Delete the '.txt' and you should be able to use the downloaded file.

oh, interesting. I'll keep that in mind next time I encounter such a problem. anyway, good news, I found ver 1.322 in a .zip format and was able to dl and extract it. I succesfully replaced all older .biq files and hopefully it will work on Friday when I can play

dang it, after all my wrestiling with RFRE I got a load error message....what do I do? also, how do I take screens on a mac?

Is it related to the error dealt with above, in post #25?

Screenshots on a Mac are available using Command-Shift-3. This puts a screenshot file on your desktop that will open in Preview. You can export it as a JPG or use it as-is.

If you use Command-Shift 4 then you can select an area of the screen instead of the entire screen.Corrected

If you add Control to the above two combinations then you can create the screenshot on the clipboard instead of in a file Corrected.
Then you can use Preview's "New with clipboard" menu option to display the screenshot in a window. This may reduce the number of files you end up with.

These commands work better in Windowed mode than in Full Screen mode in Civ4. Choose Windowed mode by holding down Command when you launch Civ4, or select it in the in-game Options/Graphics tab.

[Updated - thanks MickyKitsu]

Screenshots on a Mac are available using Command-Shift-3. This puts a screenshot file on your desktop that will open in Preview. You can export it as a JPG or use it as-is.

If you use Command-Control-Shift 3 then you can select an area of the screen instead of the entire screen.

If you change 3 to 4 in the above then you can create the screenshot on the clipboard instead of in a file. Then you can use Preview's "New with clipboard" menu option to display the screenshot in a window. This may reduce the number of files you end up with.

Sorry, but i cant help a little nitpicking... :p

Command-Shift-3 = Full screen captured to a file on the desktop.
Command-Shift-4 = Selected Area captured to a file on the desktop.
Command-Control-Shift-3 = Full screen captured to clipboard.
Command-Control-Shift-4 = Selected area captured to clipboard.

Top Bottom