A Complete Guide to Achievements (Civ V)

Does "Greek Fire" need to be done in a scenario? I've tried it in a 1 vs 1 game but I still don't have it.

I've had trouble getting this one, but I'm told it can unlock in hotseat. It's not a scenario achievement.

Title 'borrowed' from a line in 'Charlie Don't Surf', a Clash song written by Joe Strummer.

You'd think I'd know that, but I didn't. Thanks.

Actually a reference to our own forum, see the related thread in the BNW section.

It's the name of the Nazi's leisure organization, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_Through_Joy

Quote by Karl Marx himself, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workers_of_the_world,_unite!

That one is easy, but I don't see the connection to Assyria o_O.

Thanks! A bit disappointed about the Strength Through Joy one. Not something I'd particularly want associated with.

A few of the others I recognized, but didn't comb through the whole list. Like the Nigerian scam one. Thanks for all the replies, I just need to decide if I'm going to add these to the current references, or a new section, or just save it for the updated version of the guide...

Does "Greek Fire" need to be done in a scenario? I've tried it in a 1 vs 1 game but I still don't have it.

No regular game (but large lands or small continents maps are best) but also if set up the game so that you have several Alex's, I had three, until I read about this from another poster I'd never even thought you could have more than one of each leader in the game.
When you select the multiple Alex's best space them out (like players 2, 5 & 8), that way it is slightly easier to work out which Alex another AI is asking you to attack etc.
Even multiple copies of a leader is confusing.
Good Hunting.

JD

No regular game (but large lands or small continents maps are best) but also if set up the game so that you have several Alex's, I had three, until I read about this from another poster I'd never even thought you could have more than one of each leader in the game.
When you select the multiple Alex's best space them out (like players 2, 5 & 8), that way it is slightly easier to work out which Alex another AI is asking you to attack etc.
Even multiple copies of a leader is confusing.
Good Hunting.

JD

Multiple Alexanders? I'll have to try that...

I've noticed you have the heads up achievement wrong, should be Find Easter Is on a random map.
Meant to tell you before.
JD

I've noticed you have the heads up achievement wrong, should be Find Easter Is on a random map.
Meant to tell you before.
JD

Thanks and fixed.

Updated Brave New World achievements:

Leader Achievements:

In Hoc Signo Vinces - Beat the game on any difficulty as Maria I.
King of the Wisent- Beat the game on any difficulty as Casimir.
The Java Script - Beat the game on any difficulty as Gajah Mada.
Pedro's Party People - Beat the game on any difficulty as Pedro II.
Tablet Tech Pioneer - Beat the game on any difficulty as Ashurbanipal
This Desert Life - Beat the game on any difficulty as Ahmad Al ’Mansur.
Wanna Be the King of the Zulus - Beat the game on any difficulty as Shaka.
NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_30 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_30
NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_31 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_31

Ideology Victory Achievements

Axis Powered - Win a Diplomatic Victory using the Autocracy Ideology.
Better Red Than Dead - Win a Conquest Victory using the Order Ideology.
Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Win a Conquest Victory using the Autocracy Ideology.
Games Without Frontiers - Win a Diplomatic Victory using the Freedom Ideology.
One Small Step - Win a Space Victory using the Freedom Ideology.
Rocking in the Free World - Win a Cultural Victory using the Freedom Ideology.
Strength Through Joy - Win a Cultural Victory using the Autocracy Ideology.
Workers of the World - Unite! - Win a Cultural Victory using the Order Ideology.
Yuri-ka! - Win a Space Victory using the Order Ideology.

Civilization-Specific Achievements:

British Invasion - Perform a Concert Tour with a British Great Musician in American territory. (May not be Civ-specific)
Enemy Blade No More - As Indonesia, capture an enemy capital with a Kris Swordsman with the Enemy Blade promotion.
Here's Looking at You, Kid - As Morocco, airlift a civilian unit from Casablanca to Portugal's original capital.
Knowledge is Power - As Assyria, use a Royal Library filled with a Great Work to train a unit that begins with a promotion.
Poland Can into Space - As Poland, win a Space Victory.
Pyramid Scheme - Playing as France, get the Louvre to the maximum theming bonus of 16.
Raiders of the Lost Ark - Have your American Archaeologist extract an Artifact from Egypt with a German Archaeologist within 2 tiles.
Run 50 Miles and Fight a Battle - As Zulu, have an Impi earn all of the special promotions.
Vote for Pedro - As Brazil, win a Diplomatic Victory.
What's Yours is Mine - As Portugal, construct a Feitoria in a City-State that is allied to another civilization.

NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_147_16 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_147_16
NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_147_17 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_147_17

General Achievements:
Built in (Almost) a Day - Complete a Wonder in a city with three Trade Routes supplying production to it.
Greed is Good - Have a city with the Colossus, Petra, a Caravansary, and a Harbor.
Highway Robbery - Plunder a Caravan Trade Route.
It Belongs in a Museum - Have Artifacts from 10 different City-States in the Museums and Wonders in your civilization.
Losing My Marbles - Extract 5 Artifacts from the territory of another major civilization.
Merchant Prince - Generate 200 gold per turn via Trade Routes.
Radio Free Europe - Adopt the Freedom Ideology and fill 10 Broadcast Towers with Great Works.
Rock the Kasbah - Perform a Concert Tour with a Great Musician on a Moroccan Kasbah improvement.
Silk Road - Connect to the Arabs, China, India, the Mongols, and Persia at the same time using Caravans.
Soma Tablets for Everyone - Reach a Happiness level of over 100 for your civ.
Tear Down this Wall! - Force an AI player with the Order Ideology to switch to Freedom.
That's XCOM baby! - Have your XCOM Squad go from 100 health to 0 in a single AI turn.

World Congress Achievements:
Dark Horse - Win a Diplomatic Victory without ever being the host of the World Congress.
Flip-Flop - Propose to repeal an active Resolution which you had originally proposed to enact.
Herculean Effort - Complete all International Projects in a single game as the highest contributor.
Lingua Franca - Found the World Congress and remain its host for the entire game.

Policy Achievements:

Artistic License - Fully explore the Aesthetics Policy track.
Legends of the Hidden Temple - Fully explore the Exploration Policy track.

Scenario: Scramble for Africa

Discoverer - Playing as Italy in Scramble for Africa, earn the VP for finding two Natural Wonders.
Dr Livingstone I presume? - Playing as Belgium, move your Stanley Explorer to within a tile of England’s Livingstone Explorer.
I Prefer my Africa Scrambled - Win the Scramble for Africa scenario as any civ on any difficulty.
Nigerian Bank Account - In Scramble for Africa, marry Sokoto or Bornu.
Ottoman Carpentry - Win the Scramble for Africa playing as the Ottomans on Deity.
Praise the Victories - Win the Scramble for Africa playing as the Boers on Deity.
The Rhodes Colossus - Playing as England in Scramble for Africa, complete a railroad from Cairo to Capetown.

Scenario: The American Civil War

Glory, glory, hallelujah! - Win the Civil War scenario playing as the Union.
Pickett's Recharge - Capture Gettysburg with a Confederate Infantry unit possessing the George Pickett promotion.
Red Badge of Courage - Win the Civil War scenario on Deity.
Sheridan's Valley Campaign - As Union, control Winchester, Front Royal, Harrisonburg, Staunton, and Lynchburg.
Standing like a Stone Wall - Win the Civil War scenario playing as the Confederates.

Updated the guide a bit, mainly added the Brave New World section and culture refs, a few corrections here and there.

I noticed a minor typo here:

The achievement itself would be "Better Red Than Dead", so it would be the reversal of that slogan.

Thanks.

Pax Romana Aeternum - Win the game as Eastern or Western Rome on Deity, and have all your original cities under your control.

Is there a link to an AAR, or anything, showing how this is done?

Is the "The Explorer"-achievement broken? "ESTEAMSTAT_NATURALWONDERS" has been stuck at 26 forever for me (playing single player without mods).

Is the "The Explorer"-achievement broken? "ESTEAMSTAT_NATURALWONDERS" has been stuck at 26 forever for me (playing single player without mods).

Not that I know of, but I'm starting to wonder if there isn't some glitch going on lately. I've been hearing a lot of people having trouble getting wonders to count, and you're reporting natural wonders are messing up as well.

I rebooted my comp, so I could get a refreshed achieve log, as I have the game open for a week at at time.
My natural wonder count was 549 on the 18th and today its 551. So all good for me.
JD

Not that I know of, but I'm starting to wonder if there isn't some glitch going on lately. I've been hearing a lot of people having trouble getting wonders to count, and you're reporting natural wonders are messing up as well.

Something must be going on, then. After posting, I started another game on a huge map (again, singleplayer, no mods) and right now I'm counting at least 6 natural wonders on my map (7 if Great Barrier Reef counts as two). The counter's still at 26, though. And I'm pretty sure it used to be higher before I reinstalled the game, too.

Keeping an eye on the rest of the log, "BRITISHNAVY" (for killing 357 ships as England), for example, is counting up correctly, and I'm guessing the others are too.

As if it didn't annoy me enough that I won't ever get the broken "Expansionist" achievement...

An update to natural wonders not being counted: I remembered that I've had troubles with other achievements based on reward pop-ups, and after enabling those, the natural wonders started being counted again. So basically never play without reward pop-ups.

An update to natural wonders not being counted: I remembered that I've had troubles with other achievements based on reward pop-ups, and after enabling those, the natural wonders started being counted again. So basically never play without reward pop-ups.

Interesting. I might mess around with that and see if it affects things.

Yup; for several achievements (perhaps all), if popups are disabled the checks get skipped.

Okay, I updated the guide so it says achievement may not work with reward popups disabled.

Top Bottom