[MoO] Master of Orion II Mods - An overview

Good stuff. Thanks!

Were some of the techs moved around to allow non creative to choose them with less pain?

Yes. Many changes in general. And the reasons for some of them was the idea to make them available for non-creas. For example:

1) morale techs like holo
only crea can take them in regular. But there is no competive crea race which could use morale. Only uni sub/aqua crea works in our MP games. That means that all the MP games are defacto without any morale. I tried to change this.

2) Planet defense
I hate the boring warp int defense in MP games. That means that planet defense is obsolete. So warp int is a hard choice now and planet defense is available for non-creas. Otherwise there is no reason to research bombs. And I want that bombs is a necessary choice in our games. (Also planet shields and hitpoints of planetdefense were adjusted for this reason.)

3) heavy armor.
MP games are defacto without hv armor. That has the effect that the beams with AP mod are too popular.
---------------
So crea has lost these above mentioned advantages. But since almost any unpopular tech was improved crea has also a lot of advantages to compensate the above mentioned points.
Also Vnet in the 900 Computer fields with supercomps and positronics should make crea playable.

Another update :

http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2006/07/difficultchoicemod-b6.html

What's new in this betaversion?

There were still a few hangovers from old approaches to solve the morale and bombs problems of Moo2. Special thanks to Cabman who played this mod a lot and pointed out a few problems. I cleaned up a bit:

a) Missiles have their old 1.31 values now. Since I upgraded the planetary shields in DCb5 there is no longer a reason to reduce the missile damage generally.
b) Anti-matter Torpedoes have also an increased damage of 13 now. A flux shield and Shield Class V combination is enough to neutralize overloaded torpedoes then.
c) I liked Cybersaber's mod idea but Structural Analyzers were too attractive in the early tech field compared to EMG. A further reason why missiles where unpopular in DCb5. Nevertheless, I think it is possible now to tech SA in its old 1.31 techfield since there is an additional substitute for the cybercomp (mole and improved mole).
d) No longer early Powered Armor. Psionics moved up in b5 and so did Powered Armor now.
e) PPs of Robotic Factory are reduced to 100.
f) There is a new approach with respect to race pick costs. There are still up to 10 negative picks possible. But if you use them all there are up to 40 positive race picks you can spend now (instead of 20 picks in 1.31)

Some tables (click them to enlarge):

TechTable

TechChanges

RacePickScreen

RacePickOverview (positive picks are divided by 2)

A new mod for Master of Orion 2 can be found at
www.moo2mod.com

As I may finally switch from unMod to a mod, but am only interested in play vs AI, how does this mod compare to VDC?

Yes, I want something more challenging for play vs 7 Impos. AI's unless I really dumb down my custom race or play one of the absolute worst std. AI races.

Hey neilkaz et al,
Over the past 2 months i have designed the ice mod.
There are many differences between VDC and ICE and I guess ultimately it is best to try both - you can also try Warmoo - and see which one you like most. I have both VDC and Warmoo mods installed next to my own and the vanilla version and play them too, coz i like the variation.

mods are here:
ICE mod: http://moo2mod.com/
VDC mod: http://www.spheriumnorth.com/orion-forum/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=613
Warmoo: http://www.warmoo.com/

@ Rocco.40

OK I tried your ICEMOD last night but have a ways to go to finish the game and to keep learning. Anyhow, it is definitely a clear improvement when playing vs AI's making a game that was too easy, more interesting and challenging.

It would be nice if you could host an ICEMOD strategy forum at your website. Or perhaps I or another can start a thread or two here.

One question now that the Guardian is really buffed up. Just what am I supposed to do to destroy it? With Class X hard shields I don't think Merc missiles are going to do much damage to it? Ideas please !

.. neilkaz ..

cool idea to have a strategy thread(s)!
my website is quite basic html .. but we could do a couple threads here.
I opened a new 'Guardian' thread and a general thread.

What are some of the things that irritate you during gameplay. I.E.: useless animations, pop ups, sluggish movement?

I'd have to say my biggest pet peeve is help menus that are toggled on by default. Especially ones that have to be turned off more than once. I know they are useful, but I want to see tips when I want to see them. Thoughts?

Calling Master of Orion Fans,
We wanted to post here to drum up interest in a new game currently in the design phase. The game will be called Lord of Rigel and it will be based on Master of Orion 2. Many games over the years have tried to enhance or emulate Master of Orion 2 and ultimately fall short of their goal. The purpose of Lords of Rigel is to provide players with a chance to play Master of Orion 2 enhanced for 2014. There will be new features added the game, but the core fundamentals of Master of Orion 2 will be left intact.

One of our big focuses is providing players with a variety of win conditions and play styles. Many 4X games are simply a matter of rapid expansion, rapid tech into weapons and industry, and then constructing large fleets to expand your empire to victory. We are designing this game to not only have the standard military victories, but also diplomatic victories, producing genuine benefits to players who chose to focus on building culture and research to influence their galactic neighbors gain influence.

The game will use the Unity engine be fully modable to that other players can add content as they see fit including making a vanilla Master of Orion 2 for the 21st Century. We look forward to hearing from you and the community as we move forward with this project.

Lord of Rigel Team

OK, so I have taken a look at the LoR demo and I really like what I see there. Menu's are clear. The star systems look nice, the way the shadows work and the asteroid belts. A map without star lanes is a relief! Stars themselves look really nice. I am not a big fan of edge-scrolling though, prefer 'right button scrolling'. Will keep following your developments!!

Top Bottom