LUCASARTS comes to GOG!!!!

civvver

Deity
OMG! :D X-wing and tie fighter are finally on gog.com! Also kinghts of the old republic, but that one was already on steam so meh. But now for the first time you can get x-wing and tie fighter digitally!

I actually have my old tie fighter cd rom and have tried playing it with dosbox but it's a pain to load and I can't find my x-wing one. Really excited to have windows supports for these titles.

I am wondering a little how peripherals will work. In the originals a joystick was the best way to play, but obviously no one uses joysticks anymore. I remember trying to turn with mouse was just too much work. I wonder if they'll support modern game pads, cus that would be amazing. Probably hoping for too much though.

These might be the games I break the bank for. They are currently $10 which is well worth it but still more than I usually pay for any game, let alone 20 year old ones.

More lucasarts games will be coming as well. Pretty exciting stuff. I really hope they get yoda stories and indy's desktop adventures.

Sam and Max: Hit the Road is on GOG.

Sam and Max: Hit the Road is on GOG! :D

Me too! :D Day of the Tentacle was the reason my father got a PC in the first place!

GOG could also give me chance to play a game I have not played but can hopefully play be it be released: Afterlife.

KotOR being on GOG is far more momentous than being on Steam. Go, GOG!

They just added 4-5 new ones: x-wing alliance, x-wing vs tie fighter, rebellion, empire at war and rogue squadron 3d to name a few.

Interesting. I think to play x wing you absolutely need a joystick. X wing was a spectacular game. It basically served as the benchmark of space combat sims ever since. Id prefer a joystick to a game pad though. Did anyone here actually finish it? I remember it being very difficult at the time. And you had 5 tour of duties plus a load of other side missions. It was totally packed with content.

I too would be interested in picking up day of the tentacle. It would still hold up well today because it’s a cartoon. Its fairly criminal that GOG have not managed to land that yet. It’s the most sought after game and is constantly talked about on their forums.

I had x-wing collector's edition but I don't think I finished the b-wing campaign. Killed the death star, beat most of it. I completely finished the collector's edition of tie fighter though. I still have it actually and have installed it using dosbox and play it. Can't find my old x-wing cd. It's doable with just mouse though not ideal. But you can turn the mouse sensitivity way up in dosbox settings to help. Unfortunately though I have been reading that the gog versions are not the collector editions and I don't know what expansions they have.

Also some newer versions of dosbox have controller support built in. Supposedly you can use the xbox controller to play. I actually like the precision of the mouse but it's really hard to do a full looping turn.

I had x-wing collector's edition but I don't think I finished the b-wing campaign. Killed the death star, beat most of it. I completely finished the collector's edition of tie fighter though. I still have it actually and have installed it using dosbox and play it. Can't find my old x-wing cd. It's doable with just mouse though not ideal. But you can turn the mouse sensitivity way up in dosbox settings to help. Unfortunately though I have been reading that the gog versions are not the collector editions and I don't know what expansions they have.

Also some newer versions of dosbox have controller support built in. Supposedly you can use the xbox controller to play. I actually like the precision of the mouse but it's really hard to do a full looping turn.

From memory, X wing was all about power distribution. You would need to equalise your shields often in order to stay alive. The really troublesome ships to destroy were shuttles and transporters, particularly when in large groups. Large mine fields were also problematic.

I believe that the version on GOG is not the CD version. So it lacks stereo sound. Is that true?

I bought KotOR I & II on GoG during their recent sale. Having recently pre-ordered Pillars of Eternity from them*, my fair price discount from GoG was enough to buy KotOR I for just a single penny. :D

* = I know, I know, you should never pre-order anything, but Obsidian can't get this right, there's nothing good in the world any more.

That is supposed to be one of the holy grails of computer games. :)

From memory, X wing was all about power distribution. You would need to equalise your shields often in order to stay alive. The really troublesome ships to destroy were shuttles and transporters, particularly when in large groups. Large mine fields were also problematic.

I believe that the version on GOG is not the CD version. So it lacks stereo sound. Is that true?

Actually to me that hardest part was always speed. The hardest missions were ones where you needed to protect a target or something and enemies would jump in from a whole bunch of different locations. X-wing game didn't have as good missile tracking as tie fighter so you pretty much had to kill tie bombers and gunships before they got in range of your ships. In general the y-wing missions sucked just cus those ships are so slow. In the star wars universe the y-wings are supposed to have a lot more firepower than the x-wing but in the game they don't at all. Only difference is they replace two lasers with two ion cannons (but exactly the same fire power) and have like 2 more torpedo. whoop-dee-doo.

B-wings were better cus they had 3 ions and 3 lasers so you could divert more power to engines and not lose quite as much firepower. So yes it was all about power management but usually trying to boost your engines but still have laser charges when you need them.

I'm not really sure what the gog version lacks. I don't even know if it has the full b-wing campaign. Search the message boards I guess.

Top Bottom