Kerbal Space Program

I'm excited it's even a possibility given how fervent Squad was in stating they would never ever ever EVER do multiplayer for KSP back in the day.

It's because of the difficulty in getting it to work. Then someone figured out how to make it work in a mod.

Hey now, no one's stopping you from crossing the border and taking my lead away! :p

Here's hoping the final launch of the game includes more parts that make deep-space exploration easier. I'm sick of having to turn to mods for things like bigger tanks or bigger NERVAs. Resource extraction helps and the current stock parts certainly make deep-space exploration at least viable, but so challenging as to be not as fun.
I feel I should explain this a bit better than I did.

The stock parts do in fact allow you to do pretty much anything as far as deep-space exploration. But it often requires an inordinate amount of parts to do anything worth while and the higher the part count, the slower the game runs.

I don't turn to mods to get OP parts, I turn to mods because they often fill gaps in the stock part lines, particularly when it comes to bigger tanks/engines. If a single mod parts lets me avoid having to use 3 stock parts to do the same job, then I go for the mod part to avoid slowing down the game.

But I really don't want to use mods (and I resisted it for a long time). Until the game runs more smoothly or they add more, bigger stock parts though, I don't see a viable alternative.

Awesome!

OTOH the engine loads all parts (unused ones included) into memory when the game starts, so even if having many mods with large parts helps you to build playable ships it also means game crashes are more frequent...

IMO, while KSP is superb, it is also a mess once you get to a certain point, which usually is that point where you are enjoying it the best. And frankly i dont see any way to fix that other that changing the very engine and rewritting the game from zero.

Maybe they will solve it in KSP II: Jebediah´s Revenge.

I guess the key is not to build giant things with millions of parts. You've got to embrace NASA's - smaller, better, faster mantra ;)

I haven't really ran into any performance issues, aside from my crazy mun base which was just way overdone - and it wasn't really super bad anyway.

When building always remember: The more parts you add, the more parts that can fail.

I dont build using many parts, much the other way, however once you advance in the game, you want more complex missions, with multiple vessels, with stations, bases, service vehicles, cranes, shuttles, refueling tankers, probes, minning and anything you can imagine. Then when you get into the physics radius of your happy almost self-sufficient lunar base , bam! life turns miserable.

KSP is going 1.0 on Monday. And now you can get a Gamers Edition with GOG and Gamer's edition...

Check here

:woohoo:

Wasnt it a beta stage too short? Did they have enough time to fix all bugs and crashes and to get better performance?

KSP 1.0 is out.

I am working with a SSTO spaceplane design I started on beforehand, but is now updated with 1.0 goodness. Unfortunately, it's breaking up in the upper atmosphere, and with a steeper ascent profile the terrier doesn't have enough punch to get me into orbit.

Fortunately, there's a Kerbal solution to this problem:
Spoiler :

So it's technically not an SSTO anymore, but the cheap little solid booster probably has the punch to get this two-seater into orbit, and the plane is mostly reusable.

Attachments

• screenshot26.jpg
    screenshot26.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 670
This design is still breaking up in upper atmosphere. Although it's easier to get off the ground now, so I might shift to 1 jet and 2 rocket engines, and add more rocket fuel.

The new blast-off effects are incredible. Pictured is the Comanche II piloted by Jebediah, meant to accomplish a lunar flyby to get money and prestige for my program after I hired too many kerbals and burned through my once comfortable budget.

I ended up only getting 3/4 of the way to the Mun, but fortunately I got a bunch of EVA science and stuff that let me get new equipment. I think the redesigned version can make it to the Mun, and then my budget problems are solved.

(Side note: solid fuel is amazingly cheap; all my rockets are around or under 17,000 kerbbucks. The liquid version was wayyy to expensive to launch on my budget.)

Attachments

• screenshot30.jpg
    screenshot30.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 699
Version 1.02 is great! Physics are fine at last, everything is working as it is supposed to. I am finally enjoying the game without the need of adding any mod.

You cant expect KSP aerodynamics to be as accurate as XPlane. People always find something to complain about.

But it wasn't nearly such a problem in the 1.0/1.01 release. That aero model was way closer to what I remember from NEAR/FAR.

I haven't played 1.02 yet, I'll have to try it tonight.

1.0.0 was far superior to 1.0.2 for aero model.

1.0.2 is even thicker and soupier than 0.x versions were at the lowest altitudes.

The very high drag and lift values in the physics config for 1.0.2 create terrible stability problems, tons of fine rockets flipping out unreasonably.

Top Bottom