Crusader Kings 2

Paradox said that Victoria II was in good release shape early, and I remember seeing beta testers post about how polished it was leading up to the release.

I'll wait and see.

Exactly. I fell for all the hype - Developer Diaries, pre-release AAR's, etc. for both HoI3 and Vicky2 and thought they'd be working well out of the gate. Obviously that didn't quite happen. :p

Don't get me wrong, I love Paradox games and own many of them. I will still continue to buy their games, as they fill a gaming niche not many other developers/publishers out there do. I'll just wait awhile after release before I purchase anything from them from now on - and certainly no more preorders from me.

Nothing like paying full price for a Vicky2 preorder only to see it drop over 50% a few weeks after release (and still before the game was in any kind of decent shape). :sad:

Exactly. I fell for all the hype - Developer Diaries, pre-release AAR's, etc. for both HoI3 and Vicky2 and thought they'd be working well out of the gate. Obviously that didn't quite happen. :p

Don't get me wrong, I love Paradox games and own many of them. I will still continue to buy their games, as they fill a gaming niche not many other developers/publishers out there do. I'll just wait awhile after release before I purchase anything from them from now on - and certainly no more preorders from me.

Nothing like paying full price for a Vicky2 preorder only to see it drop over 50% a few weeks after release (and still before the game was in any kind of decent shape). :sad:

Same here. I love the Vicky time period, and the game has great potential with AHD. But I don't buy any games on release day any more, I wait.

I wasn't a fan of the original game on the grounds that it played extremely fast and loose with history; the sequel has been explicitly stated to be more of the same. Basically, the whole of Europe gets to operate on something approaching French-style feudalism, something which is barely excusable for, say, Sweden or the Rus' and absolutely disgraceful for the Greek East.

...aaaand nobody gives a damn. I am quite happy with the game as it looks from the videos and previews. There is a reason why historians don't do game design.

Moderator Action: Trolling. There was no need for the "nobody gives a damn" statement.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Been playing the demo, and it is really impressive. Historical depth, few bugs, immersive -- really looking forward to the release.

I noticed a few bugs in the demo, but that could be my crappy laptop :p

Right now if you pre-order on Steam, you get the first Crusader Kings and also 2 FREE DLCs...I might I have to do that.

I have never played CK, I have only played Knights of Honor from Paradox, but I already know this is going to be wayyyy different.

I am having the hardest time trying to figure all the stuff out :S

If I have questions, I will probably post then in here

DLCs? For CK or the other standard Paradox games?

Gah, now they are going the way of Civ...

They are just sprite or music packs, they have a bunch for EU3 and HOI3 too. Very cheap, especially when on sale. I bought all of the EUIII ones with blue coins (many of which I got from rating and reviewing the packs I had already bought). For CKII it is a Mongol face pack and some historical crest shield pack.

They are just sprite or music packs, they have a bunch for EU3 and HOI3 too. Very cheap, especially when on sale. I bought all of the EUIII ones with blue coins (many of which I got from rating and reviewing the packs I had already bought).

Oh... so that's what those thingies are! I usually play on mute with some movie or TV on in the background anyway, guess I'm not losing out too much.

I have never played CK, I have only played Knights of Honor from Paradox, but I already know this is going to be wayyyy different.
I never played the original CK either, but the tutorial is very helpful, and the in-game hints are excellent. Between the two of them, I thought I was pretty much onboard after a couple hours of play -- although i am sure there are things I don't know that I don't know. :)

This is a truly different game, though. Very high on historical accuracy, meaning you have to get comfortable with laws and customs that are foreign to us (and which are not a big deal in the many faux-medieval games).

I've played the demo also. Only had time to play the tutorial but it seems easier to pick up then EUIII or Victoria 2.

Oh... so that's what those thingies are! I usually play on mute with some movie or TV on in the background anyway, guess I'm not losing out too much.
I built special playlists on my iPod, turned off the in-game music, and just played my "Paradox game" music off of Winamp back when I was playing Paradox games.

I have been playing the demo in between classes on the school's computer (shhh...don't tell my teachers) and I have been starting to get used to it. I am starting to really like it. I still don't get the war aspect yet. I've noticed that armies that attack my are huge, and mine are just little guys, even when I combine armies.

Newbie alert. lol

From the demo it does seem pretty fun, but I agree with the above poster that the war aspect could use some improvement.

I built special playlists on my iPod, turned off the in-game music, and just played my "Paradox game" music off of Winamp back when I was playing Paradox games.

You put the game music on your iPod? Now that's a dedicated fan.

I have been playing with some classic Toho Godzilla movies on in the background.

I have been playing the demo in between classes on the school's computer (shhh...don't tell my teachers) and I have been starting to get used to it. I am starting to really like it. I still don't get the war aspect yet. I've noticed that armies that attack my are huge, and mine are just little guys, even when I combine armies.

Newbie alert. lol

Back in the day, we had Rainbow Six and some expansions or mods, forget which, installed in the tech lab and we would play during lunch. Instant network!

Back in the day, we had Rainbow Six and some expansions or mods, forget which, installed in the tech lab and we would play during lunch. Instant network!

Somebody put Minecraft in my school district's everyone drive (which all computers on the school network can access)...guess what happened...

Back in my day we had Civ2 on the two comptuers in the Library. The computer lab had all the standard games for schools at the time though, but they were/are awesome. The various Trail games (although only Oregon and Yukon Trial were any good), a math game with a submarine that was awesome because the sub could shoot ink pellets, and various other educational games that were fun.

Old-school gaming...have to love it. I think this is why I like these types of games. They are like an old school feel in my opinion. The graphics don't have to be awesome, I just want a good game that I can enjoy for a long period of time.

I am starting to get sick of playing Xbox now, so I think I am moving back to PC gaming again. that's why I have been looking to build a desktop now, since my laptop is well....older.

btw, I think I got combat worked out a little better now. I went through the tutorial again and got it down a little more.

Is it just me or do the Muslim factions in Spain get ridiculous amounts of troops? I was playing as Castille last night and they never gave me a break, eventually they destroyed the other christian nations there and gang raped me repeatedly. Despite having over 20,000 troops (half mercs, i was rich at that point) I still was ultimately unable to beat them off and ended up collapsing under sheer weight of numbers. In the end the two main muslim powers partially collapsed into several smaller factions but the only christian natinon left in Iberia was France who had the east coast.

Top Bottom