Europa Universalis IV

Honestly, that makes more sense than having to invest power to build stuff.

I realised that waiting for the new expansion to come out before starting a new game was silly as its probably a month or more down the road still.

On that note I started a Vijay game. I started with a Bengal alliance and chomped into Orissa and Bahmanis. After Orissa was small enough to vassalise I did so in a war. I have mostly been expanding through vassals, and I've got Malwa, Gujarat, Nepal and Jaunpur currently though I also had a big Gajrat as well as several smaller ones that I ate in the south. I think I might keep Nepal and feed them the Himalayas and Tibet and maybe make him a March. I'll keep feeding Jaunpur its cores from Bengal (2 left ) and Delhi (1 left). Delhi was my ally for a long time but I DoW Bengal and he joined the wrong side (which I wanted ;)).

I can form Hindustan if I boost my stability to 3 but I don't know what if any benefit it will bring me. Will I still get lots of cool flavour events? Will I get more accepted cultures? Will my NIs change? Plus I prefer Vijay yellow.... I probably will switch at some point.

Ideas wise I started Exploration but the Europeans just aren't getting down to the southern part of Africa so no westernisation for me yet. I'm currently trying to block them off from the west so I can get the Spice Islands myself and I'm relying on the event that gives Portugal a core in Goa to fire so I can westernise off that. Next I went Economic and now I'm filling Defensive (moral). I also want Humanism so I get more cultures accepted. Influence would have been another good early pick but Exploration came first in importance.

My longer term goals are to gobble all of India, most of the Malaysia etc and probably push into Persia a bit. I'd like a big vassal there as buffer to the Ottomans. Ming has been very stable so far but I'm hoping he'll explode sooner or later so I can get in on the Chinese buffet.

The world
Spoiler :

Close up of Vijay
Spoiler :

Diplo view
Spoiler :

Trade view
Spoiler :

Military ledger
Spoiler :

Tech (only a few people are mil 15)
Spoiler :

Europe and the Ottomans
Spoiler :

Ming is a paper tiger as the saying goes as his base autonomy is 50%. Still want him to explode before I attack him though as I can't quite face microing a war on that scale right now.

About a month after I left off the Portuguese core in Goa event fired and I spent 15 years of very easy westernisation and livened it up with some casual war and peacefully vassalising Arakan.

My efforts to keep the europeans out of my back yard aren't working as Portugal has colonised from the eastern side of the Pacific and is in eastern Australia.

I'm annexing Gujarat so I can start on easting Persia and the NW Indian states I don't border. He's big so will take a long time.

Once I have enough land in the Sind trade node I'm thinking about moving my trade port there.

About a month after I left off the Portuguese core in Goa event fired and I spent 15 years of very easy westernisation and livened it up with some casual war and peacefully vassalising Arakan.

I feel like that event should really be removed as its quite strange giving one nation an event to take a province on the other side of the world regardless of the situation there or at home. Although the missions that other western nations get to take a core in Asia are a bit weird as well. It was a bit frustrating in a game as Japan that France broke an alliance because they took a mission to take provinces in an area that I had some territory.

Ottomans stronk. That would be awesome if they actually take Vienna, haven't seen them do too much as AI myself.

Hey guys i cant remember if I posted this before but I was wondering if people could recommend me some good starting strats, as i'm a beginner for this game?But i'm planning on playing some games in this from start to finish, (after my exams of course). I've got the COP, AOW and WON. I don't have the most recent one and probably wont be getting it anytime soon. I have messed around with Portugal, but I keep restarting as them and I'm bored of them at the moment. Been looking at castile,ottomans and England, but there's so many different directions you can take with them I don't know which to choose. Was wondering if anybody could suggest anything. Thanks!

The other one you might need is Res Publica as it added the ability to use the national focus on your monarch points.

Ottomans are a good choice if you want to get experience of basically being at constant war as you have several good fronts to fight on and spread your aggressive expansion around.

Austria is a good option to practice a slightly more diplomatic game (there will still be war) and having a go in the HRE.

Muscovy is good to practice horde bashing (hard for the first 100 years) and land based colonisation, whilst still getting involved in some European wars.

The Hansa are a good republic to play as in my opinion. Your'll have to work hard later in the game to keep that trade coming your way.

Outside of Europe some of the larger nations like Vijay, Ayutthaya and Ethiopia are good choices.

There are also some great small countries too....

Anything in the Andes is also fun, forming Inca and all.

Kebab and Baguette are really, really, really easy. Schnitzel and Kipper are also pretty easy, but they have to deal with Baguette's crap a lot (though if you lose the 100 Years War as Kipper as soon as possible you'll be fine). Larger HRE minors are fun if you think you know what you're doing, just be wary of the Kaiser. If you have AoW, Norway or Sweden might be okay but Denmark or Poland would be doable either way.

Basically, you can either play a more peaceful game in Europe, colonize, and then use your money to conquer, or be at total war pretty much always. Borders with France suck but are okay if you're big like Castile.

Who is Florida? Spain or Scotland?

Scotland.

Also Morocco is my vassal. I just started a Norway game though so my borders will be forever marred.

Kind of funny event:

Spoiler :

Clearly London is a colony. England are now based in Taiwan as thats where they happened to have two colonies. They still have 4 colonial nations which should really be able to break free. My capital is in America which is why the event happened. Very nearly lost the game as I mistimed a war with England which meant that I went from having 7 provinces in the UK to having one province in Greenland (plus a colony).

Oh please, post more pics: of Taiwan and the Americas. Please. :)

Here are two more screenshots: :)

* Warning America has some ugly borders. Worth pointing out that Scotland are in a PU with me so one day Ireland will be a horseshoe around Spain / Portugal. My favourite bit is Spanish Louisiana having an arm reaching towards the great lakes that blocked me a bit.

Spoiler :

Norway own the third province on Taiwan. Korea have one province in Japan.
Spoiler :

Hoping that the fort changes etc in the next expansion will have a big impact on how the game plays.

It may be worth noting that you'll get Scotland's colonial nations as vassals and they won't be integrated. I did a new world Navarra game with my capital in Tortuga and I ate Portugal from a PU after awhile, and their colonial nations were still autonomous. It's pretty dumb and there's no way to absorb them without releasing them and then warring for the land or using the console (which I recommend because this isn't a scenario Paradox likely thought much about).

Also lol at Takeda in 1715. That must really hurt Japan. I saw Takeda become independent with only like 3-4 provs and they sat like that for years. Also did a Takeda game once. It was great.

Top Bottom