Swapping Great Works

Dux1

Warlord
Are there any restrictions on this? Can the AI determine that it does not want to make the trade, for example? If not, how is this meant to function in multiplayer? I just started playing BNW last night, but I haven't had a chance to test this yet, and I was curious.

You can basically "slot" a Great Work to trade that you no longer want. This will sit as "trade-able" until another player decides to claim it, sending you something he doesn't need.

Likewise, if you see another player's Great Work that you want, you can simply swap one of yours for it, no approvals needed.

Can you trade Great Works for other things (like gold or embassies?)

You can basically "slot" a Great Work to trade that you no longer want. This will sit as "trade-able" until another player decides to claim it, sending you something he doesn't need.

Likewise, if you see another player's Great Work that you want, you can simply swap one of yours for it, no approvals needed.

So, there is no way to swap a great work with someone specifically, without giving someone else a chance to grab it (for example, because you don't want a particular player to get a certain great work)?

I must admit, I'm extremely disappointed with that... and I don't really understand the reasoning. When you sell a luxury resource, you don't just put it up for grabs for whoever wants it. Why is it different for great works? Not to mention, if you have no control over what you get for a Great Work, you may end up getting something you need even less than the original one...

Also, I'm curious about what Aussie Lurker asked. And if the answer is "no", I am curious as to the reasoning.

That's up to the user. I personally wait until the AI has works placed that I need, and then explicitly trade for that exact work that I need. The works are limited this way because we do not want players (AI or human) to increase the amount of works that they have through artificial means, so we have a separate trading system to serve the theming part of the game.

That's up to the user. I personally wait until the AI has works placed that I need, and then explicitly trade for that exact work that I need. The works are limited this way because we do not want players (AI or human) to increase the amount of works that they have through artificial means, so we have a separate trading system to serve the theming part of the game.

Ah, thanks for the answer. That's a bit disappointing, but I understand that it probably makes the game much more balanced.

I still think the "need to put something up for the taking" is a bit inconvenient in multiplayer. There's a way around it (striking a deal with another player via chat and only then completing the trade in-game), but a bit inconvenient that you can't designate the player who is allowed to take the Great Work. I imagine it would be annoying in games against strangers, when you put up a GW with a certain player in mind, and another grabs it before the intended recipient does. I mostly play against friends, so it's not a big deal, but I think it would be nice if this was addressed.

Can you put some restrictions on what could be exchanged for your GW? E.g. say it can only be a work of art, or only from a certain era etc?

A valid point, and something worth considering.

Ah, thanks for the answer. That's a bit disappointing, but I understand that it probably makes the game much more balanced.

I still think the "need to put something up for the taking" is a bit inconvenient in multiplayer. There's a way around it (striking a deal with another player via chat and only then completing the trade in-game), but a bit inconvenient that you can't designate the player who is allowed to take the Great Work. I imagine it would be annoying in games against strangers, when you put up a GW with a certain player in mind, and another grabs it before the intended recipient does. I mostly play against friends, so it's not a big deal, but I think it would be nice if this was addressed.

Well, it matches how it works in SP. You can either choose one of your works to swap for a work that's already "up for trade", or you can put one of your works "up for trade".

Also, in case it wasn't mentioned, you can only trade like-for-like; writing for writing, art for art, and artefacts for artefacts. I don't think you can trade music at all.

In general, I think the themeing/swapping of great works could use some UI work. I like the system as it is, but its a little frustratingto have to hover the mouse over the slots and just have to remember what you need to fill in to get the bonus (like, I need to remember that I need works from 3 eras and 3 culture, and I just need to memorize which ones I already have slotted in and what combos I need to fill out the themeing bonus). If there was some way to get a color/shape combo so you could easily see culture and era and mix and match without having a just memorize the qualifications and hover over the indistinct icons to see what's already there. And then you need to move from that screen to the trade screen, which doesn't retain any of that necessary info, so you just need to remember.

How do I put something up as available to trade?
The culture overview has a tab for great work swapping. At the top of the window are three pulldown boxes, one each for writing, art and artefacts. You just select the item in the pulldown, and leave it there, and an AI might swap for it on their turn.

On a related note, how do I maximize the placement of my works of art, so I know which is the best to trade? One of my wonders (Uffizi?) is getting a +6 bonus to tourism due to my (lucky) placement of art. I tried to maximize my other buildings but I was unable to get any other bonuses. What should I be looking out for?

Every building with available theming bonuses should show a +0 when it's not getting any - hover over that, and a tooltip will tell you the parameters (in the culture overview).

The great works system is really interesting IMHO. I like the idea of theming different works in the various wonders/museums, though one thing I am finding so far is that not many of the other civilizations seem to be offering much - in fact, after I've swapped with them once, they often have the item I gave them as a swap. I do play on smaller maps, so perhaps this is something suited to larger maps and more civilizations - I'll have to try that. Using the new systems I've been able to get a culture victory as both Brazil and France; the test will be trying it out with a civ that doesn't get tourism bonuses :).

How I'm going to mod this into my ancient mod, I haven't quite yet worked out ;).

To me the whole art thing was more like a mini game. Just have the right amount to trade and make your wonders useful. From my experience they all traded despite being guarded or friendly. AS long as you have some to trade you should be good.

Sorry if this has been asked, but is it impossible to swap great works of music?!

Not as far as I recall - I'm sure there were slots for swapping great musicians as well as the others. It seems that they're not really used much in the theming though - Broadway was the only wonder I had in which I remember them being used - and it required three musicians from the same era and civilization for the theming bonus, so you'd collect them in any case if you were going for Broadway (which gives one of the musicians when you build it).

Sorry if this has been asked, but is it impossible to swap great works of music?!

Not as far as I recall - I'm sure there were slots for swapping great musicians as well as the others. It seems that they're not really used much in the theming though - Broadway was the only wonder I had in which I remember them being used - and it required three musicians from the same era and civilization for the theming bonus, so you'd collect them in any case if you were going for Broadway (which gives one of the musicians when you build it).

There is no swapping of music. I think the only music theme wonder was Broadway, and it wanted 3 from the same era (yours).

Top Bottom