Heroes of Might and Wisdom

@FramedArchitect
add you friend at steam
I see your point now, that would make another wonderful hero mod!
In that case, you need to merge this mod in, and make lots of changes, but I think all of them can be done with some effort, I'll help make changes of this mod

@Kamilon
I'll try to make them work together

Change Log V8
This mod DO NOT rely on any Expansion now, can work on Vanilla/GK/BNW with one version
Add hero quote audio for all hero classes when they hired, selected, use skills/spells or died
Add popup text display for ability yields

All Stars MOD Change Log V6
Add custom hero quote audio for some warcraft heroes

Fixed upgrade path vs. Free upgrade path

Currently this MOD use a free upgrade path for hero, they can upgrade to any unit type that you can build.
But there is a drawback of this setting, a berserker can upgrade to an archer, while a magician can upgrade to spearman. the upgrade unit type may not fit the hero class.

I wonder if a fxied upgrade path will be better than the current setting?
In that case, a berserker can only upgrade to melee units, and paladin can only upgrade to mounted units.
Welcome your ideas about that.

Fixed upgrade path vs. Free upgrade path

Currently this MOD use a free upgrade path for hero, they can upgrade to any unit type that you can build.
But there is a drawback of this setting, a berserker can upgrade to an archer, while a magician can upgrade to spearman. the upgrade unit type may not fit the hero class.

I wonder if a fxied upgrade path will be better than the current setting?
In that case, a berserker can only upgrade to melee units, and paladin can only upgrade to mounted units.
Welcome your ideas about that.

I'd be careful. There are dead end upgrade paths in the default game. A hero could get stuck.

As you requested in the Steam workshop, I am reproducing my bug report in this thread.

System: PC
Expansions: Have G&K + BNW
Legalism: Legitimate game from Steam, fully updated with the latest patch.

There is a huge problem when upgrading heroes to sea units. At the moment they are upgraded, you can briefly see the vision of the unit expand from its embarked land unit vision to a full ship's vision, but this only lasts for a split-second before going back to the same vision it had when embarked. From that point on, the heroic sea unit retains the exact same vision, lowered defense, and slow movement speed that any embarked land unit has, which is pathetic compared to regular sea units.

I am nearly certain that I already know what the problem is, but I will provide you with the log as well. It seems clear to me that the reason this is happening is that heroes keep all of the positive or neutral promotions they had from the previous unit when upgrading to a new unit. For this reason, the heroes keep the embarked promotion even as a sea unit, which overrides normal movement, defense, and vision rules.

The nice thing about this is that it lets me do things like upgrade to submarine, then upgrade to infantry to have a powerful land unit that has a 75% attack bonus and is invisible to enemy units. Not sure if this was an intentional feature or not, but I like it.

Attachments

• Lua.zip
    18.7 KB · Views: 127
As you requested in the Steam workshop, I am reproducing my bug report in this thread.

System: PC
Expansions: Have G&K + BNW
Legalism: Legitimate game from Steam, fully updated with the latest patch.

There is a huge problem when upgrading heroes to sea units. At the moment they are upgraded, you can briefly see the vision of the unit expand from its embarked land unit vision to a full ship's vision, but this only lasts for a split-second before going back to the same vision it had when embarked. From that point on, the heroic sea unit retains the exact same vision, lowered defense, and slow movement speed that any embarked land unit has, which is pathetic compared to regular sea units.

I am nearly certain that I already know what the problem is, but I will provide you with the log as well. It seems clear to me that the reason this is happening is that heroes keep all of the positive or neutral promotions they had from the previous unit when upgrading to a new unit. For this reason, the heroes keep the embarked promotion even as a sea unit, which overrides normal movement, defense, and vision rules.

The nice thing about this is that it lets me do things like upgrade to submarine, then upgrade to infantry to have a powerful land unit that has a 75% attack bonus and is invisible to enemy units. Not sure if this was an intentional feature or not, but I like it.

thanks for the log, the problem is exactly that, I set the navy unit to a embarked one, will fix that in the next version

Only being able to upgrade inside your own territory would be nice. I took a group of heroes to another city as fast knights then swapped then for catapults and swordsman for the attack after cleaning out some regular unit fodder protecting the city. A little OP. :)

That's nothing; I took a city with a single hero by going from a mounted unit to a siege, then from a siege to a regular melee unit after the city was whittled down to nothing. I think it's kind of cool, personally.

Keep the hero upgrade open, it give the RPG element of you can play it like you like it. If you want to put self limits on how you play vs scam the system, or exploit an ai.

Top Bottom