New Challenges Maps Thread

Okay, you seem to be saying why all those scripts are weak?

I've never found a map script that I didn't think was weak -- apart from those that I think are absolutely appalling :)

I was just trying to point to some of the peculiarities of the map scripts I mentioned for those who might never have encountered them before. To my mind, the map scripts are one of the worst aspects of Civ -- and the fact that there is a thread on this forum in which people make great efforts to produce decent maps to share kind of demonstrates how bad they are.

I've never played on a Terra map of any kind, so I don't know what the pitfalls are. I may try one just to find out.

Cheers.

I find that amusing that you bring that up. If you check the link to the previous thread, it seems most of the response wanted an INCREASE in difficulty from the previous DCL series which I believe has been done.
OK. I wasn't around when that discussion took place. I came back shortly after CDG started. If the idea is harder maps, i probably shouldn't play those but rather play the new immortal series for fun or the old DCL maps (there are still a lot i didn't play) for a challenge cause they were about the right level of challenge fro me.
That also means that any map i make might be too easy for you. I promised i would make a Morocco map and i will do it unless the participants tell me they are not interested but i won't try to create more then.
Dropping it down to immortal would also discourage some players from playing since for example I wouldn't bother with immortal.
But posting Immortal maps won't prevent you from playing the Deity ones, while Deity only will prevent anyone from playing Immortal maps. I fail to see how having both would discourage some players. Nobody considered replacing Deity maps with Immortal maps.
Acken's mod is extremely difficult on deity, but not that bad on other.
I found it's Emperor level (that's level 5/8 in his mod) to be about the right level for me. I can win if i don't make too many mistakes but if i play without my brain the AI will crush me as they tech really well in his mod. I guess when i'm used to the differences Immortal will be possible, probably still very challenging, but hopefully without the level of cheese required against unmodded Deity AI.
Allright! Posted a map to get it all started. I wont post any more this round but I will gladly play! And my ideas for achievements is mere suggestions. I like it simple.

Now, let the immortal games flow!
Thanks. See you there.
I've never found a map script that I didn't think was weak -- apart from those that I think are absolutely appalling :)
Can't agree more. That's why i think varying them is the way to go, so their flaws don't become too much of a chore.

Well... I blew up my gaming computer so I won't be contributing maps like I promised any time soon. Once it is fixed, I'll be back in action, but until then I have no way physically to create and submit maps. Sorry everyone, this stinks.

So if we have this map thread, then the maps won't be a surprise I guess?
The maps should be a surprise, but perhaps not the civ... This thread is in part more of a conceptual discussion place of what makes a good map/achievement, with tips on how to test maps and bugaboos to watch out for (like map packs), at least in my mind. Perhaps it can be one of the routes to decide whose map goes next - I really like the alphabetical approach budweiser came up with for the new Immortal Alphabetical Series as it is, in a sense, random. So just a matter of assigning who rolls the next few maps -- It looks like budweiser would like the next Immortal Alphabetical game to be posted on January 9th. :)

Blatc started a new thread to discuss/plan the Community Deity Game Series (CDG). I'd hate to see this as an Immortal only thread, I think rolling and testing maps crosses all skill levels. We've already had some pretty clever achievements, maybe that doesn't need to be discussed!

Could we get a tutorial, or a pointer to a thread where it has come up before, on removing header cruft in T0 files that used one of the Plus scripts? As I understand it, it just a matter of opening in a plain text editor and removing the offending block. But I have not tried it.

I ask, because IMHO the plus scripts are better than any of the other stock maps -- but the plus scripts are not stock options for everyone.

We've already had some pretty clever achievements, maybe that doesn't need to be discussed!

Consentient was pretty clever with the first five CDG, but I could not think of anything for the sixth. But here is a starter list that could be used for most civs:
  1. Wreak havoc with the UU (1-4 points, works for most civs, but should be customized each time):
    1. Killing Spree (please describe): 1 point
    2. Take a city or two with UU: 2 points
    3. Take a cap with UU: 3 points
    4. End the game with six or more units buffed by a UU trait: 1 point (pretty much only works if the UU has special promotion that is retained upon upgrading)
  2. Big Dog on Campus (1-11 points, could work every game):
    1. Win Worlds Fair, International Games, ISS (1 point each)
    2. Pass World Religion and Worlds Ideology (1 point each, has to be yours of course)
    3. Be the last host, as WC transitions to UN (1 point)
    4. Each NW completed (half point each, so up to five total)
  3. Religious Domination (1-3 point, but good only for civ with a religious flavor)
    1. Found a religion
    2. Have your religion as the most populous one (a plurality) by city count.
    3. Have your religion in half or more of all cities.
If folks like this approach, we could try and think of some generic achievements oriented around trade and CS (since those are common UA themes).

And of course, anything tuned to a particular civ is valuable. The Steam badge achievements pretty much have one for every civ, so those could be included.

Thanks mbbcam. Unfortunately, that thread is closed. Is the basic idea to delete pretty much everything between the first line and the line you have highlighted? I have not opened up two files for comparison, so maybe it will be obvious, but I can tell I would like a little bit better of an idea as two what to look for!

Compare two files and it will be pretty obvious. As I said of something else on these forums, if I can do it, a chimpanzee can. I used the well-tried scientific method of trial and error. I didn't use any knowledge or skill.

You basically have to copy a few lines from the file that has no maps referred to, and paste them into the file that has, thereby removing the references.

Top Bottom