The Kuriotates

Hmm we once had that idea of transforming one resource into another more valuable one. How about introducing this for the kuriotates.
E.g. (sheep or silk) and dyes into clothes (that give 2 happy and are therfor valuable)
Reagents to medicine (+2 health)
Gold and gems to fine jewelry (+2 happy, maybe for kahzad as well?)
maybe one or two more

this would also allow their cities to grow farther.

I remember that idea. If it's possible, it would be genius! And the way to do it, I suppose, would be through Kuriotates-specific buildings. Would it be so that you needed a surplus of the resources in order to combine them?

wilboman said:
I remember that idea. If it's possible, it would be genius! And the way to do it, I suppose, would be through Kuriotates-specific buildings. Would it be so that you needed a surplus of the resources in order to combine them?

We can set it up anyway we like it. A surplus sounds reasonable, or one of those buildings per available resource. Otherwise it would be a from one make 10 effect....

An apothecary for the reagent ---> meds transition
A jeweler for, well duh. :)
A tailor or seamstress building for the clothing

What happens to these buildings if you lose one of the resources? I think it should stay constructed, but no longer generate the end product.

Chalid said:
That was the original plan for them a long time back woodelf. (switching them to offline buildings)

I'm still playing catch-up. :D

woodelf said:
A tailor or seamstress building for the clothing

I suggest we call it the Seamstresses Guild. :rotfl:

Plus a certain bonus to law and order (or City Defence). Don't forget the Agony Aunts!

Okay, what we have so far:

1. The Kuriotates are going to be about less, more improved cities.

2. They will be unable to build more cities because? Maybe they start with 3 settlers and they can't make anymore? Or we block settler building after they have a certain amount of cities based on the world size.

3. What about taking over cities, they don't seem like the sort that would raze cities. Maybe whenever they take over a city that city is turned into immigrants which the Kuriotates can use to add to their cities population or for other effects (seems to be more fitting with the creation theme).

I tend to not want to just apply maintenance modifiers to force players into sticking with less cities. I worry abotu the AI's ability to deal with that, but more than that it will feel like we crippled them to casual players. I think specific restrictions are generally better than punishing options.

4. Increased traderoutes.

5. Upgradeable improvements.

6. The biggest limitation of their limited city model is that they wont be able to spread to get resources. The chance of being able to get reagents, mithril, mana, gunpowder, iron, etc is very low. So they will need something to help them get the good improvements other than spread.

Maybe they can use their immigrants to build settlements? Small cities that cant build anything but are enough to put out a little culture so they can claim land with them?

7. Centaurs- funtionaly mobile archers to help defend their kingdom. The defensive moves will be even more important if they have to cover a larger area with the non-unit producing "settlements" on it.

Other things on the table:

1. Crafting- making raw resources into manufactured goods.

How about making cultural borders expanding faster (and wider) for them?

Edit: oh and if they get so few cities how about allowing them to use the third circle of plots for their cities...

Kael said:
Okay, what we have so far:

1. The Kuriotates are going to be about less, more improved cities.

2. They will be unable to build more cities because? Maybe they start with 3 settlers and they can't make anymore? Or we block settler building after they have a certain amount of cities based on the world size.

3. What about taking over cities, they don't seem like the sort that would raze cities. Maybe whenever they take over a city that city is turned into immigrants which the Kuriotates can use to add to their cities population or for other effects (seems to be more fitting with the creation theme).

I tend to not want to just apply maintenance modifiers to force players into sticking with less cities. I worry abotu the AI's ability to deal with that, but more than that it will feel like we crippled them to casual players. I think specific restrictions are generally better than punishing options.

4. Increased traderoutes.

5. Upgradeable improvements.

6. The biggest limitation of their limited city model is that they wont be able to spread to get resources. The chance of being able to get reagents, mithril, mana, gunpowder, iron, etc is very low. So they will need something to help them get the good improvements other than spread.

Maybe they can use their immigrants to build settlements? Small cities that cant build anything but are enough to put out a little culture so they can claim land with them?

7. Centaurs- funtionaly mobile archers to help defend their kingdom. The defensive moves will be even more important if they have to cover a larger area with the non-unit producing "settlements" on it.

Other things on the table:

8. Crafting- making raw resources into manufactured goods.

1. Yes. But will these be industrialized cities or sprawling natural cities?

2. I like them starting with 3 settlers and then being blocked. Or more on a big map.

3. What if when they take over another capital/holy city then they get another settler? When they take over a non-capital/holy city then they get some speical workers (migrants) that can be added as pop to their cities.

4. Since they have so few cities, perhaps they get increased yeilds on traderoutes, including food and shields. maybe htey also get a traderoute enhancing building?

5. What do you mean by this? That they can build two improvements instead of just one on each space? That would be pretty hot! And of course the second one would take much longer to build, so they would only end up with uber cities near the end of the game. And like 50 turns must go by before they can build the second improvement.

6. I like the settlement ideas, or what about simply trading to other civs for them?

7. So the centaurs are their border gaurds? Nice idea, except that it might be more fun if their centaurs were attack oriented archers. Like big attack bonuses. And of course, high movement.

8. I don't really like this idea for the kuriotates. I would envision this as a mechanic for a larger, more merchant civ that had more food resources than it knew what to do with.

Regarding limiting their city building capacities: We have to make sure their max number of cities jars with stuff like Runevaults and other advanced buildings that regquire a set number of inferior buildings to allow them to be built.

Chalid said:
How about making cultural borders expanding faster (and wider) for them?

Edit: oh and if they get so few cities how about allowing them to use the third circle of plots for their cities...

That sounds perfect Chalid. Lets add a trait and hook the increased culture expansion, bigger max culture expansion, and the ability to work the 3rd ring to it. Call it "Sprawling" or something like that. Can you go ahead and add the SDK effects Chalid?

wilboman said:
Regarding limiting their city building capacities: We have to make sure their max number of cities jars with stuff like Runevaults and other advanced buildings that regquire a set number of inferior buildings to allow them to be built.

Good point. Hmm... Maybe I will change all of the building requirement buildings to require that at least 40% of the civs buildings have temples (or whatever) instead of a hard number.

Top Bottom