New Civ4 expansion / Civ5 graphics

Do you want improved graphics for the next expansion of Civ4 (assuming there is one)?

• Oh yeah !

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • This is not a problem to me. But if it isn't, I wouldn't see it as a problem either.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Oh, no ! I already bought a new computer and I don't want to buy a new one for a new expansion!

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • I want a new expansion in 2D. :D

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I want more bananas.

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters
Any game feels better when the time was taken to implement the small details like the sun shining on the water or reflected off armor. Does this make or break a game? No. I would bet most people who owned CivI would still install it on their computer and enjoy a good game just as much as they would on Civ4.

Just my 2¢

Whats with the bannanas? If you mean do I like the way the lil' bannanas fall ever so neatly into a basket then.... NO!!!

Those lil bannanas cost me max Civs on huge maps modern age, so why would I want more???

Now papayas? Those would be cool :)

Whats with the bannanas? If you mean do I like the way the lil' bannanas fall ever so neatly into a basket then.... NO!!!

The banana thingy is a joke. No clue where it comes from though, if you have an idea please fill us in...

Those lil bannanas cost me max Civs on huge maps modern age, so why would I want more???

huh?

He's saying that he cannot play with the maximum number of civs on huge maps because the game wastes the computer's resources for unnecessary animations like bananas falling in baskets (map animation for harvested banana resource). He'd rather be able to have larger maps and/or more players instead of more animations (which, if they use up even more resources, would force him to play with even less rivals).

More bananas, definitely more bananas.

I think that it should be a guideline followed by game manufacturers that all future expansion packs should have the same system requirements as the core game. If someone is able to play Vanilla Civ IV, then they shouldn't have to worry about being able to play future expansions - expansion packs are enought of a cash-hog as it is. I personally wouldn't mind, as I am sure my graphics card and CPU could handle it - but it would not be a good idea.

And so I say again... bananas.

He's saying that he cannot play with the maximum number of civs on huge maps because the game wastes the computer's resources for unnecessary animations like bananas falling in baskets (map animation for harvested banana resource). He'd rather be able to have larger maps and/or more players instead of more animations (which, if they use up even more resources, would force him to play with even less rivals).

Well if he says that, I don't think the animations that are not displayed on screen don't take any ressource...

Well if he says that, I don't think the animations that are not displayed on screen don't take any ressource...

If you mean what you said, then you're right in not believing that they don't take up resources, but I fear you meant the opposite and just accidentally used a double negative.

Apparently you weren't here when the game was released, because this was a hotly debated issue back then. :)

If you don't believe me, just design a small bare map and a huge map with many units in the worldbuilder (so that you have many graphics). Give the player on each map exactly the same visible area. Then load both setups and try to play. You'll notice that the small map will react smoothly, while the huge map will have stuttering movement and slow reaction times. The reason is that the graphics, even if they are not shown at the moment, use up a lot of the resources.

I wouldn't want more demanding ("better") graphics, just different. At first I didn't mind the cartoonish character of the game but it becomes kind of grating. Although I wouldn't want changes in the next expansion, that would not be good and proper.

:aargh: I want to dominate the world, not stare at reflections of the sun on water or armor.
Agreed, I just want to play the game. Not admire the bells and wistles.

If you don't believe me, just design a small bare map and a huge map with many units in the worldbuilder (so that you have many graphics). Give the player on each map exactly the same visible area. Then load both setups and try to play. You'll notice that the small map will react smoothly, while the huge map will have stuttering movement and slow reaction times. The reason is that the graphics, even if they are not shown at the moment, use up a lot of the resources.

It might be because of the size of the map?

:aargh: I want to dominate the world, not stare at reflections of the sun on water or armor.

Graphics can add to environment and gameplay.

I think Civ4 can do a good ode to Mother Nature. After all we have a smooth representation of the world, why not to take benefit from it more deeply? Not only this would go along the concept of global warming, but it could raise new interests in the minds of the players, like it already did in mine for History. (by trying to find new concepts to the game) Last, it would be of course very nice to see.

Plus, if you add some graphic elements, like migrating animals, you can make it a new action, like capturing them and so create a new single-use unit that will create a farm anywhere you want. Of course migrating animals would be pretty rare and may not reappear in the nature once killed, unless maybe in dark zones.

A graphic improvement could be that Cities and village and town improvements reflect the ammount of cultural dominance. A roman style town bordering on chinese would be a fusion between the two cultures. Thus you can see when a city is suffering culturally by looking at the actual buildings. This is probably moddable but would take alot of different city improvement graphic sets and I can't be bothered.

I think a more organic feel would be created. I also think that Towns surrounding cities should merge more with the main city to make them look like conurbations.

Also, I think unit skin colour should be determined by the ethinicity counter within the city. Therefore an English city captured by the Zulus would churn out white Impis to begin with that will gradually turn mixed race to African and vica versa. Again perfectly possible but would requires loads of graphics and tons of XML infos for each unit.

I like the skin color idea. About the cottages mixing with the cities, I think this is already the case. To say all, I don't know how this could be done better, particularly in modern age. Indeed, the houses of the cottages are the same than the houses of the cities. As to your first idea, I personnally do not take attention to the buildings in the city, so I can't say.

I wouldn't want more demanding ("better") graphics, just different. At first I didn't mind the cartoonish character of the game but it becomes kind of grating. Although I wouldn't want changes in the next expansion, that would not be good and proper.

I didn't like the stylized leaderheads either.

Top Bottom