Portugal vs Morocco

It's the added speed and the spammability of the unit that makes it good. Since it pays for itself, you can just create a bunch of it with less cost than an equivalent caravel. This allows Portugal to simply inundate its sea routes with Nau to spot camps, fogbust, and eliminate barbarian vessels.

The way I've always seen it is that Morocco's ability is much more useful early game. I'm actually playing a game as Morocco right now and at 50BC I was making 86gpt in a Golden Age which went down to 70gpt when the Golden Age finished. No other civ gets even close to that from what I've seen previously. At the early stages of the game, where you're only producing 15 - 20 culture per turn, those extra 2 or 3 culture points are equal to 10% - 15% of your overall culture so it's actually a bigger boost than most people think.

Portugal, to me, is much more focused on the mid-late game as that's where it really starts shining. At the early stages of the game, your city won't have grown all that much so the unique resources may not add up to all that much. They might add an extra 2 or 3gpt to the trade, but lack the culture that Morocco gives, and other civs have no reason to trade with you over anyone else. Plus, take into consideration the caravansary compared to the harbour and when they come into play.

Of course, as the game progresses, Morocco's ability stagnates while Portugal's increases meaning that by the industrial area, Portugal's ability should be shining above that of Morocco's, but for me personally, I've already established a very nice economy by that time of the game anyway, no matter what civ I'm playing. The early game is where I usually struggle for cash and Morocco's ability really helps with it, I mean I managed to buy 3 universities the turn I finished researching Education (I think it was around the 50BC I mentioned before) because I was getting 80gpt! That's a huge science boost thanks to the early extra gold.

Portugal has a good nau trade exotic good trading profit only in water maps. Morocco has the gateway to Africa ua which can bring into culture per trade route. It depends what you're looking for really, some civilization will give you more things than others.

"Who won? Who's next? You decide!"....sorry:)

IMO Portugal is more gold-oriented and about rush-buying whatever you need. Morocco is actually more well-rounded. You get early culture from UA, later on spam Kasbah with Berber Cavalry and voila - solid defensive civ. I see gold from UA and Kasbah as more of a complementary bonus - if you really want to roll in cash, play as Portugal or Venice instead.

I played Morocco, and they have a rockin' Golden Age--I can certainly attest to that. Spam kasbahs, and their +1 gold becomes +2 gold. Kasbahs' relatively long build time is largely irrelevant, unless you are just a complete peacenik. I always have a surplus of workers by then, and I'm actually thankful they all have something to do.

Top Bottom