More units than can be supported...

Tzar Sasha

Tzar of Nowheresville
With one city you hit a point where after about 10 units (caravans and settlers don't count) you get a red icon at the top which indicates that you have more units than you can support and that production is reduced as a result.

Is there any benefit to going beyond the limit?

I was curious about perhaps going over for the short term to build up additional forces to take on a city (CS or Civ) so long as I had the gold income to pay for them. My thought was that some might die in the fight and once the city was captured, the limit would be increased.

That logic is sound. It can also happen if you temporarily have extra civilian units (such as a freshly spawned settler or two who are in route to their city-settlement destination(s), plus a Great person or two that you intend to bulb soon). Settle (or conquer) a city, bulb a Great Person and you're back inside the limit.

It's easy to hit that in a one city challenge game when you build a bunch of archaeologists (or build Borobudur, or take the Volunteer Army tenet). Doesn't seem to hurt anything unless you're building something critical. You don't want to go over the limit and stay there for a long time; if you end up there, give some obsolete units to your favorite city state.

If you're not playing OCC, as soon as you capture an enemy city you'll be back under the limit.

Do puppeted cities count?

They should seriously capitalize on this "Cap unit" if Carpets and Stacks of Doom were an issue. As long asit only applied to militaristic unit.. like seriously.. Barracks could increase a city's cap limit etc.

#WishListForciv6

They should seriously capitalize on this "Cap unit" if Carpets and Stacks of Doom were an issue. As long asit only applied to militaristic unit.. like seriously.. Barracks could increase a city's cap limit etc.

#WishListForciv6

if Playing Liberty u should nevver get even close to the limit even when having 30 modern armure +2 stack of stealth

so the Limit is just there to slow down tradition

I go over the unit limit very easily if I had a good recruitment round while playing as Germany.

If possible, I send my angry horde towards the nearest AI capital and annex.

This happens quite frequently, in first 50 turns if I still have only one city.

On a related note. Maybe everybody already knows about this - but just in case. The units screen (press F3) shows what your currently available unit supply is. It's helpful to look at this before building units when you know that your supply is low.

Top Bottom