AI attitude change

Skyer1

Chieftain
As you know, AI is very hostile in Civ2 MGE. It is hostile during peace treaties and uncooperative in alliance with a much desire to cancel that alliance the very next contact.
All this because it has attitude towards you = 100(maximum evil) and this is set every turn, no matter what you have done to him. Program was designed so - every turn it sets attitude=100 towards you of any civilization, whom you had negotiations with.
So it's like a cheat menu - like you would every turn set attitude=100 on every civilization in cheat menu.

In my opinion, it is unfair and removes from the game interesting relationships.

Here is a variant, where there are no such "equations". Everything is the same, except "attitude=100" set every turn. So, relatioships go as they should go - if AI becomes Enthusiastic, it will not become Uncooperative or Hostile next turn - it will stay Enthusiastic as long as he wishes and until he decides to change his attitude.

_____________________save your copy of civ2.exe_____________________

Rename those .txt files into .rar files and extract to the directory with Civ2.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• civ2.part01.txt
    293 KB · Views: 4,268
  • civ2.part02.txt
    256.9 KB · Views: 3,710
Seems to me you're going the wrong way. What we'd really want would be an AI Attitude that was the SAME as the end of the last turn, unless there were negotiations during the AI's turn. Then you could keep an alliance going like in Classic.

You know, the few times that I've played MGE and I've really had such attitude problems that are very different from Classic. ... But then again, as a rule, I gift the AI civs Gunpowder and Industrialization, which seem to be the two techs that really destroy one's relation with opposing civs.

Skyer1 said:
As you know, AI is very hostile in Civ2 MGE. It is hostile during peace treaties and uncooperative in alliance with a much desire to cancel that alliance the very next contact.
All this because it has attitude towards you = 100(maximum evil) and this is set every turn, no matter what you have done to him. Program was designed so - every turn it sets attitude=100 towards you of any civilization, whom you had negotiations with.
So it's like a cheat menu - like you would every turn set attitude=100 on every civilization in cheat menu.

In my opinion, it is unfair and removes from the game interesting relationships.

Here is a variant, where there are no such "equations". Everything is the same, except "attitude=100" set every turn. So, relatioships go as they should go - if AI becomes Enthusiastic, it will not become Uncooperative or Hostile next turn - it will stay Enthusiastic as long as he wishes and until he decides to change his attitude.

Enjoy!

That's probably the greatest thing anyone has ever done with Civ 2. You've just taken away the one thing that I didn't like about the game.

I have always wondered why they are always mad at you... i give them gifts and then next thing i know they shot me down... thanks man

Is there any way you can get rid of the goto bug?

When you do a GoTo command for a unit that spans the DateLine it will try to go the wrong way. Some sort of error in the program algorithm that flips a sign or adds rather than subtracts when computing the direction based on start/end coordinates.

Sorry, didn't understand anything:)

unit that spans the DateLine
What?:)

Some sort of error in the program algorithm that flips a sign or adds rather than subtracts when computing the direction based on start/end coordinates.
Wwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaattttt?:)

It is not just across the dateline (dateline is where x=0, the tiles to the left of this line have x=the first dimension of the map). I have seen it take longer routes over shorter ones. I have seen it get into an endless loop. Fortunately they have put a catch in the code for this situation where it stops after a few iterations and asks "Continue?"

When you use the goto command, units will often not get to where they are told to go. They'll often move one space forward, than one space backwards. They'll repeat this a few times and then a pop up occurs asking if you want the unit to stop moving. It's pretty annoying if you have to manually move hundreds of units all because this bug.

Hi Skyer,

I installed this patch and found to my delight that AI relations behave just as promised (and as I remember in original Civ 2.) :)

However, I now see that the "Find City" function no longer works. In fact, whenever I do a "Find City" by keyboard shortcut or pulldown menu, I find a new feature:

If I inspect any of my cities with the "Happiness" button, all citizens start out black for doubly unhappy, and military units within the city do not surpress any unhappiness. :confused: This results in most of my cities slipping into anarchy. The only way to recover is to reload the game from before attempting the "Find City".

Can a patch be made that gives us both a non-hating AI without altering the "Find City" or any other functions?

Thanks very much,

Stilicho

Enjoy!

Any chance of getting this as a ZIP file, dont know what .rar files are, but dont think my computer uses it.
or even post the actual civ.exe file!?

:mischief: A question arises is this patch approved for Game of the month play?

RAR is a different compression algorithm than ZIP, but there are several free unzippers that will handle both. You cannot post an EXE to CFC, it only permits limited file extensions.

I don't remember Duke ruling on using this patch, but if it turns MGE AI into 2.42 AI why not use the latter anyway?

RAR is a different compression algorithm than ZIP, but there are several free unzippers that will handle both. You cannot post an EXE to CFC, it only permits limited file extensions.
Thanks Elephant I found a rar unzipper, i couldnt figure out how to join the two files, or why there are two files

I tried find city and one of my cities rebeled. maybe I will try next game of month with it but remember not to use find city

I just tried this and also found that the 'find city' function throws all of my cities into anarchy.

Oddly, they also decide to honor me by working on Throne Room improvements.
Multiple improvements at that!
This patch seems to make my people somewhat insane!

I know I'm a few years late but Skyer... you are a SAINT.

Thank you so much for this! you just improved my civ gaming experience a thousand fold!!! THANK YOU!!!

Top Bottom