Caveman 2 Cosmos

Well I have found something I do not like about hide and seek at all. I founded a city on a tile that had an invisible barb panther in it which did not leave on the next turn like barb animals used to. Is there any way to get it out of there, because if there is not, that entire game is wasted. That's 6-7 hours wasted.

1. Make sure you can see the panther (use a dog with vision promotion if necessary)
  2. Get a hunter on the tile (if the hunter attacks, your problem is likely solved)
  3. Otherwise, let the hunter attack the panther (there is a button for attack on the same tile)

Unfortunately, without the assassination action, the hunter wouldn't be able to attack the same tile in a city. This certainly answers the question for me as to whether hunters should be given this option or not. The answer becomes yes.

On a side note, in what way is the panther causing trouble there? Just curious what makes it 'game breaking'. I mean, he obviously cannot move or attack the same tile either so he's just 'there' unable to do anything at all.

can you capture a city if its owner has a unit there but you cant see it?

Yes. Thus city defenders are given to automatically select the standout promo. I doubt the animal would in the above case though because the animal didn't move into the city, which is the only time when city capture is queried. And that's assuming that animals like that one CAN capture cities. I'm not sure they can... I think they have 'bNoCapture' set.

Well after I calmed down I opened a save from a few mins earlier though and thankfully had a hunter close enough to take up there. It did kill that panther when it moved into the space I wanted for my city so I can keep going with the game. I guess I'll need to keep that hunter close by when I make my next city. I'm sorry I sounded so upset in that first post about this.

All wild animals should be kicked out of your cultural borders no matter what. As they used to.
I'm not entirely sure that the city isn't considered 'safe ground' by the initial code. What has changed that would make this problem show up would be that the city itself can now be planted on top of an animal. Plus, I've seen naval animals just hanging out in the water, frozen inside the borders. So there's apparently limits to what was put in place for all that. This will all need some review anyhow once animals and barbs are split soon.

Unfortunately, without the assassination action, the hunter wouldn't be able to attack the same tile in a city. This certainly answers the question for me as to whether hunters should be given this option or not. The answer becomes yes.

On a side note, in what way is the panther causing trouble there? Just curious what makes it 'game breaking'. I mean, he obviously cannot move or attack the same tile either so he's just 'there' unable to do anything at all.

The tile the city was on could not be worked with that panther there.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 126
The tile the city was on could not be worked with that panther there.

Well now that's an interesting side effect. Hmm... something probably should be done about that. IMO, nothing should stop the city from working its own tile. Obviously we push the rules to limits never considered at times.

Well now that's an interesting side effect. Hmm... something probably should be done about that. IMO, nothing should stop the city from working its own tile. Obviously we push the rules to limits never considered at times.

Invading forces should stop them working tiles. That is what sieges are all about.

But if an invading force gets into the city the city is captured. We're talking only about the city tile itself, not all the tiles around the city that it normally could work. I wouldn't change that those get interrupted by a combat unit.

The tweak in the code has been found and is as simple as excepting the city's own tile from that rule.

I am certainly done with hide and seek now. I just lost 90% of my big stack of units to a civ I was at war with and have no idea how it's even possible. They simply switched sides. Thankfully it's an option, because I'll not play with it on again.

I am certainly done with hide and seek now. I just lost 90% of my big stack of units to a civ I was at war with and have no idea how it's even possible. They simply switched sides. Thankfully it's an option, because I'll not play with it on again.

What kind of units?

Doesn't sound like a H&S issue. Sounds like spies bribed them.

Well... there could be a bug come to think of it. Can you provide a save from just before this happens?

Interesting twist in my game.

Its a Medieveal game which I was winning comfortably 31 cities, far more than any other Civ.

I haven't updated the SVN in a good while and it looks like there are some great improvements so I updated. I intended to start a new game but thought instead I would see how the game above worked.

I switched to autoplay as an experiment given I has decided to start a new game.

Within 5 turns I had two major rebellions - new civs- a religious rebellion- and went from a surplus of 1,000 every turn to bankruptcy

Is this new SVN elements or just the AI being crap? (I went straight into Anarchy too)

And how is that possible. By the way that was on svn 8963 sinceI had to go back to it. Joe's patch using 8992 was a little to unstable. I tried getting sparth's latest patch, but that did not even have hide and seek in it and looked like it may have been over a year behind. Is it possible that it could be a cache issue causing that to happen. i'd hate to, but it looks like I'm going all the way back to ver33.

Well... there could be a bug come to think of it. Can you provide a save from just before this happens?
That game is on SVN 8963 though. It's possible it may already be fixed on later versions, but I do still have the save if you want it.

Top Bottom