Best map type?

bonafide11

Worker
What's everyone's favorite map type? I just started playing Civ V again a couple weeks ago after a long hiatus from it, and I'm enjoying it a lot more now this time around than I did when it first came out thanks to patches that fixed bugs and balanced the game. But I still can't find a map that I really enjoy.

I'd technically prefer a continents or terra type map, but my problem with those is the AI is incompetent when it comes to travelling across the ocean and across the ocean type wars. They are okay with warring if it's just over the sea, but when the ocean is involved they don't even bother. Pangaea is fun, but it essentially eliminates the need for any navy at all, which bores me too. Archipelago and the such requires too much navy that it becomes tedious and boring. I'd like something where I need to build a navy, and the AI is competent at using the navy, but there is also larger land masses as well.

Is there any way to get a map that provides land masses but still requires a navy, and the AI is still competent at using its navy because the ocean isn't too large?

Also, just tell me your favorite map types and your favorite set ups so I can try some different things.

Pangea. AI is too dumb to handle any other map.

I use plenty of naval unit on Pangea, especially for domination victories where I've started on one coast - it's generally faster to attack over the ocean than walk across the landmass.

I'm trying the various maps in the Explorers pack.

Every one I've tried so far is better than the standard maps.

I guess the Ring one would be my favorite so far; featuring easy to get contacts but also having nice choke points against the neighboring AIs.

I don't believe there is a map that allows the AI to use naval assets effectively. Sometimes they build a lot of ships, but they never accomplish much with them. I've read stories of amphibious attacks but I've never seen one. The best I've ever seen is some AIs that have built destroyers and some carriers (sometimes too many carriers). They mostly keep them to defend their coastal cities and they overload on fighters and don't build enough bombers (if any at all). When they do use destroyers it's for a lame single ship harassment/blockade attempt.

My favorite map is probably Pangea. Other maps I've played and enjoyed: Japan, Bering Strait, Ice Age, Sand Storm, huge earth (a little rough on the computer), continents, lakes (choose small lakes - play as Aztec), and the mountain one (forget the name, but play it with Inca - it's ridiculous).

You could try a Lake map where you set the water settings to the maximum. The lakes are then big enough for a navy to matter and the AI will usually engage in wars across them.

Other alternatives are Four corner (like pangea but symmetrically cut off by bodies of water), Fractal, Ring....

I like terra maps, the ones like Earth, but I don't like it because all Civs start on the same continent.

But I found a solution::)The Terra Incognita mod!

If you generate a map with that mod in the world builder, it has an option to make it where civs can start anywhere, not just on one continent, and it has the type of map I like.

Continents on Multiplayer.

Pangea, Great Plains, Ancient Lakes on Singleplayer.

Fractal is good, gives you different stuff all the time, sometimes a long snaky continent, other times smaller continents with 1-2 AI on it, Love that setting.

Then Terra, which is my fav if I play as Askia and want to earn some gold. :)

I like Continents and Pangaea. The disadvantage of Pangaea is that you don't get to play around with your navy as much, but that doesn't worry me too much.

One-continent maps are my favourites since the AI is particularly bad over an ocean (maybe they'll fix that after they finish the apparently formidable task of putting the animations into multiplayer).

I've been playing too much Pangaea though, should try the other one-continent maps. but OTOH Pangaea has a lot of variety (sometimes the map is like a square, sometimes it's long and squiggly).

Try Perfectworld 3 on the mod browser. It's a nice mix of continents and pangea

Pangea for sure... AI too easy to kill once they hit the water. I think the complexity at that level is too much for it.

I'd like to try Pangea plus but it never places city states for some reason when I try it! :mad:

Also Oval is good, basically a pangea with a twist.

I like terra maps, the ones like Earth, but I don't like it because all Civs start on the same continent.

But I found a solution::)The Terra Incognita mod!

If you generate a map with that mod in the world builder, it has an option to make it where civs can start anywhere, not just on one continent, and it has the type of map I like.

Wouldn't that just make it another sort of continents map? Or is there a choice for the player to start there....preferebaly alone?

I'm trying the various maps in the Explorers pack.

Every one I've tried so far is better than the standard maps.

I guess the Ring one would be my favorite so far; featuring easy to get contacts but also having nice choke points against the neighboring AIs.

I agree with this, and Ring is my favourite too... some of the others are a lot of fun, especially 4 corners...

I'd like to try Pangea plus but it never places city states for some reason when I try it! :mad:
'Some reason' is because how they are scripted; it's deliberately done this way by the map designers, and most people don't like it.
Your post was the final push I needed; I just wrote a small tutorial for how you can get your City States back to normal in Pangaea- and ContinentsPlus: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11252161#post11252161.
I hope this helps people!

Can anyone tell me what are the ten exact maps in the Explorer pack? After reading this page, I am debating on buying it.

Does it include those 4 individual "Cradle of Civilization" maps?

75% of my games are Pangaea (and I played over 800 hours - registered only:) ).

I usually set it up depending on what Civ I play (hot and dry for Babylon or Egypt and cold and wet for Iroquois or Russia for examples)

I do not like the continents since for most of the games I have to deal with one superpower civ that already conquered the whole continent that I was not on.

Sometimes I play Archipelago (if using Vikings or Polynesia) or Terra ( with Spain or England).

And lately I have few nice games with Small continents Map (something in-between Continents and Archipelago and I liked it.

Wouldn't that just make it another sort of continents map? Or is there a choice for the player to start there....preferebaly alone?

The Terra Incognita mod does make continents maps, yes, but they are alot like the normal Terra maps, which also make continents maps.On the normal Terra that came with the game, everyone starts on the same continent.But when you use the world builder to generate a Terra Incognita map, it has a setting to make it where Civs can start anywhere, and not just on the same continent.

So that's why it solves my problem.:)

Top Bottom