Replies to denouncements

I think that they're also intended to give you heads up about your position in the game. You'll notice that you'll also get complements from your friends. Either way, they'll refer to your military strength, economy, culture (that one always makes me LOL, "What do you guys do for fun over there, play with rocks?") size, treatment of CS's, or War Mongering.

They don't always give you an accurate heads up though. Many times I've had somebody pop up to tell me my Economy is in pretty bad shape . . . yet I had the most Gold and highest GPT of all the civs.

I think that they're also intended to give you heads up about your position in the game. You'll notice that you'll also get complements from your friends. Either way, they'll refer to your military strength, economy, culture (that one always makes me LOL, "What do you guys do for fun over there, play with rocks?") size, treatment of CS's, or War Mongering.
True. I guess they are just advanced notifications that if you didn't pay notice you just insulted the AI for giving money to a CS. This way you won't be surpriced when they attack you after several wrong doings.

They don't always give you an accurate heads up though. Many times I've had somebody pop up to tell me my Economy is in pretty bad shape . . . yet I had the most Gold and highest GPT of all the civs.
Dunno, but maybe it's because they're looking a GPT per capita or per city.

If it's going to be a flavour/rp thing, then why can't we randomly insult the AI the way they do with us? And they aren't even good insults! "Oh look, it's my favourite city-state," is especially bad.
I once had a time when the English called me a city-state. By this point, I controlled all of Eastern Asia (YNAEMP GEM), and Boudicca was busy smashing England into the ground. About 100 turns later (Historic Speed), York (North-east of Plymouth, I think) (Also their last city, after London fell to Boudicca, they didn't have any others) got razed into the ground, and England ceased to exist.

I once had a time when the English called me a city-state. By this point, I controlled all of Eastern Asia (YNAEMP GEM), and Boudicca was busy smashing England into the ground. About 100 turns later (Historic Speed), York (North-east of Plymouth, I think) (Also their last city, after London fell to Boudicca, they didn't have any others) got razed into the ground, and England ceased to exist.

That's about the best you could do but other than that you can't do much but denounce.

What do you mean they called you a city-state? Is that a rare insult I've never seen?

Diplomacy responses in this game are really terrible, in my opinion. Diplomacy in general is quite AI centric. Hopefully in the next game they fix the stupid 2 option responses and get more technical with ways of the player manipulating the circumstance, instead of what they say is what they do.

There is no more bitter, spiteful AI than Elizabeth. I don't even try to play nice with her anymore because I KNOW she is going to denounce me at some point. In my most recent game she went liberty and tried to forward settle some lands that were close to lands I wanted. I sent a settler as close as I could to that land, settled and bought every single tile around her city that I could. She didn't denounce me then, but 50 turns later she denounced and went hostile. Then I just started spying on her and stealing all of her techs, but what is she gonna do, get more hostile?

When you get denounced you loose standing with other civilizations which could become a problem.

The "you will pay for this in time" and "very well" do do different things. The former is much more likely to trigger a DOW if the AI character is already 'Guarded' against you.

The "you will pay for this in time" and "very well" do do different things. The former is much more likely to trigger a DOW is the AI character is already 'Guarded' against you.

People that play with mods which expose values attached to those choices report that the buttons have the same effect. Where are you getting your information from?

Me and Brazil is having a territory spat.

Me and Ethiopia has DoF.
Brazil and Ethiopia has DoF.

Me and Ethiopia went to war against brazil in the past.

I denounce Brazil.
Ethiopia tells me that he and Brazil has worked together in the past. I tell him to get over it.

A turn later, I dow on Brazil so my Trireme can get through the one hex blocking my exploring trireme.

A turn after that, Ethiopia comes asking for 108 gold, I told him to go away.

He never denounced me after i turned down his help request. Even when that was normally grounds for automatic denouncement. Looks like his failure to come to my assistance against Brazil meant I'm free to turn his request for help down.

His friendly status against me is probably fake or honest. Dunno. No idea. Cuz I played for like 30 other turns with no denouncement from Ethiopia. To be honest this was pretty new experience to me.

About those two, if I use Get Over It. It means the specific AI is treading on thin ice or is enemies with me. I'm sorry this has divided us reply is what I give to AI I feel friendly towards. I believe it does nothing. But it helps with roleplaying. And it just won't feel right clicking Get Over It to an AI i'm friendly to.

The AI doesn't always denounce you when you ignore a request. Maybe they were very friendly towards you or you lost some of that friendship. Maybe they are secretly annoyed with you but don't dare to denounce you. I guess you aren't denounced if they fear you - not sure about that though. Also the bias plays a role here. Sometimes an AI is very forgiving. I don't get denounced a lot for rejecting a request, but you can be sure to have gotten a negative modifier. You can check this in the diplomacy screen.

Pretty sure fulfilling requests for gifts don't modify AI's values. If you promise something then broke the promise, then you suffer penalty for it. If the AI asks you to stop sending missionary, archaeologists, settling, buying lands etc. and you don't agree, then you do get negative modifier. However you get a worse modifier if you agree and break promise. Exception is when AI asks you to denounce some other AI, if you don't, then you will get denounced by that AI that asked for it.

Are you kidding me? You don't get any benefit for fulfilling requests to the AI? What kind of lame programming is that lol? I mean, I rarely say yes but I'd like to think that if I did it would be a major green modifier. They usually are asking for something ridiculous like 100 gpt so I rarely say yes. Wish it didn't scale with your income so much, seems they always ask for like 1/5 of my entire economy as a gift, the greedy opportunists. :p I mean at least start with something polite like 30 gpt :D

I would like to believe that fulfilling a help request does have a strong positive modifier. I think once or twice I was in a wealthy enough position to give into such an extortionate request, but in return I acquired a friendly AI for the rest of the game, despite choosing different ideologies later. But it also could have been just a coincidence with flavour rolls, of course, one or two cases are far from enough to argue.

I meant that refusing requests don't have a negative modifier if they ask for gifts. Of course you do get positive modifier for gifting, it's related to the we've traded modifier if I recall correctly.

I thought there was a light red modifier for "refusing to help in their time of need." But I double checked Carl's Guide and it doesn't mention that. So feel free to refuse.

It always happens to me when i'm saving for something like rush buying 4 Public Schools as soon as I have the tech. Here comes Theodora, "Can I Haz 3500G?" Nah xxxxx, you can't.

Top Bottom