Nuclear warfare

Nuclear Bombs (and Missiles) are already way too strong in the base game. So strong infact that the most popular multiplayer mod just completely gets rid of the Bombs and only allows the Missiles.
I must be doing something wrong! In SP I always hold out for Missiles because I cannot really make the Bombs effective. Maybe I should always be using two Bombs at a time? Why in MP are Missiles allowed? Is it because they come after shelters?

In civ 2 (and 3 I believe), if you used a lot of nukes the planet would change. Plains would become desert, grassland and forest would become swamp, etc. Does this happen in 5 also?
You don't have the global warming aspect, but features (forest, jungle, oasis, flood plain) are removed under fallout. I think plains can become desert and grassland plains as well.

SMAC/X had the feature where if a player used one too many planet busters (the only nuke available) that the game ended...

SMAC/X had the feature where if a player used one too many planet busters (the only nuke available) that the game ended...

No it didn't. It did have the feature where using even one planet buster would immediately embroil you in permanent war with every other faction, unless you had repealed the U.N. Charter beforehand. It also had planet busters accelerating global warming and raising sea levels, but if you had properly prepared (by building Pressure Domes in your land cities, or by being an aquatic civilization, e.g. the Nautilus Pirates, or by passing the sunshade option in the Planetary Council, or by terraforming your land to a higher altitude), then that wasn't a problem. Finally, planet busters would also cause a lot of ecological damage, meaning that you would have a much higher risk of fungal outbreaks and mind worm attacks in the near future. But if you had a strong enough army, that also was not a problem.

I must be doing something wrong! In SP I always hold out for Missiles because I cannot really make the Bombs effective. Maybe I should always be using two Bombs at a time? Why in MP are Missiles allowed? Is it because they come after shelters?

I don't really understand. A single Atomic Bomb plus maybe four or five XComs, even less if they have the Siege promotion, is enough to take a capital. All you have to do is get 7 Bombs ready on Nuclear Subs, get like 30 XCom and then DOW every single AI and end the game in a matter of less than 10 turns. If your opponent has a lot of defensive wonders two Bombs will do. If you don't have XCom then Para or Tanks will do.

Not even mentioning the potential against units. The AI always groups their units together. Get rid of a carpet in a single turn.

Yes, I think the only reason why Missiles are allowed is because they come after Shelters.

I don't really understand. A single Atomic Bomb plus maybe four or five XComs, even less if they have the Siege promotion, is enough to take a capital.
The first Bomb leaves most of the AI units. Also, I get XCom long after Bombs. OTOH one missile plus maybe four or five XComs works neatly enough.

All you have to do is get 7 Bombs ready on Nuclear Subs, get like 30 XCom and then DOW every single AI and end the game in a matter of less than 10 turns.
Oh gosh! I have never had the production or build time to try and do them all at once!

The first Bomb leaves most of the AI units. Also, I get XCom long after Bombs. OTOH one missile plus maybe four or five XComs works neatly enough.

Oh gosh! I have never had the production or build time to try and do them all at once!

I never do either or, if I'm going for an XCom rush there will be nukes. I guess that's my speciality. Probably my favorite way to win in Civ V.

No one has the production for both usually, but luckily the upgrade from Paratroopers to XCom costs barely anything, so I spam Paras and mass upgrade them when ready.

It's essentially a Science Victory, but instead of launching a space ship you blitzkrieg the entire planet.

Top Bottom