Being thinking about doing a civ2 clone. is there any interest?

Hail

Satan's minion
the title sums it up. is there any interest?

I know some clones already exist (like Freeciv and C-Evo), but they deviate (UI & gameplay) too much from the original for my tastes.

are there any legal issues?

freeciv already supports a ton of customization options. You are probably served best by just contributing to freeciv, maybe in the form of a fork/mod. It's open source and you don't have to reinvent the wheel, and they have their legal issues already sorted out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Act_of_1976

This, and it's equivalents in other countries, come to mind as possible legal barriers...
well, the original code, art & sound assets are copyright protected. I cannot distribute those with the game, but I can distribute my code with other art and/or recommend the user to supply the original sounds & videos if he wants them played.

freeciv already supports a ton of customization options. You are probably served best by just contributing to freeciv, maybe in the form of a fork/mod. It's open source and you don't have to reinvent the wheel, and they have their legal issues already sorted out.
Freeciv is written in C. the proposal to move to C++ was shot down. I looked over the code and, frankly, it was a mess. more so, I detest Freeciv's UI. the devs moved the map to one of the tabs, etc.

Hail, what is your overall goal? What would be special about your clone? Better AI perhaps? What else?

Those two (FreeCiv and C_evo) are the only clones I know about as well but I have never downloaded them let alone play them. (I once looked at the FreeCiv's tech tree and it looked identical to the original's.) Is it known how much following each has?

I myself have never felt a need for a Civ2 clone, and I've been playing since the 1990's.

If you do this Hail I suggest you use this as the standard tileset:

Make the program so it can use standard Civ2. Ruleset.txt.
thanks for the art!
hm.. the game will have know how to parse std ruleset.txt for scenarios. :(

Hail, what is your overall goal? What would be special about your clone? Better AI perhaps? What else?

Those two (FreeCiv and C_evo) are the only clones I know about as well but I have never downloaded them let alone play them. (I once looked at the FreeCiv's tech tree and it looked identical to the original's.) Is it known how much following each has?
the goal is the UI and AI. the AI needs to drop the hivemind mentality and expand more aggresively.

the UI - building queue, rally points, a fully working goto, the ability to move units in groups civ4 style, borders, notifications, etc.

I know very little about the followings for those games. freeciv is a total civ2 clone with a terrible UI. C-Evo attempts to reiterate on civ2 and went sideways. for instance cities start with 2 pop (one to work the city tile), etc.

Also include the option to have more civilizations on the map at once, something like 24 for giga maps.

Also include the option to have more civilizations on the map at once, something like 24 for giga maps.
the number of entities (buildings, terrain types, etc.) and map sizes will be unlimited.

I would love a new game based on Civilization 2. I myself got back into playing Civ 2 after 10+ year absence. Civ 2 is brilliant but the game lacks some key features. It has maximum 7 players and poor AI. Freeciv is good but it's hard to customize graphics, add units etc. like you can in Civ 2. C-evo is a complete different game to Civ 2 and hats off to the developer fr the effort but I didn't like it. My dream would be a game that has Civ 2 and Civ 3 features plus a game editor just like Civ 3 had.

What are the chances of this happening now?
I do not want to get anyone's hopes up. the chances to reach a prototype are slim. after that, the chances increase by a magnitude. :D

Have you begun any work Hail?
yes, I have. I am digging through my old code to see what I can salvage.

I will post my progress here. frankly, do not expect frequent updates.

That's cool, maybe you should organize a team though of like-minded coders?

It's often good for driving yourself to get things done when you do it in a team.

I myself have never felt a need for a Civ2 clone, and I've been playing since the 1990's.
Perhaps you could answer my question concerning Civ2 map references:
Clicking an isometric square in "cheat" mode, the information is given as, (x, y) Z.
What is the "Z" referring to? I may be missing something, but apart from "1" which appears to refer to a sea square I can't make any more sense to "Z".

I've just ignored the z-axis reference and never suffered for it, to be honest. It may be unused code showing up, I'm not fully sure.

I'd be interested if somebody played it first. Not a pioneer

Perhaps you could answer my question concerning Civ2 map references:
Clicking an isometric square in "cheat" mode, the information is given as, (x, y) Z.
What is the "Z" referring to? I may be missing something, but apart from "1" which appears to refer to a sea square I can't make any more sense to "Z".
It's the land mass index. It affects trade and AI movement. It's visible without cheat mode.

I would love to play (mod) civ 2 unlimited version. If I can play a civ 2 (same everything, using original civ 2 assets) game with this clone then I'm interested.

Unlimited units types, city styles, techs, tile types, improvements, resources, map size, wonders, buildings, governments would be first great feature. So probably support of multiple file types (original, extended, and than of better quality, 3D?)
Then customization of everything (like settler cost of 2 pop) is another one.
Third feature would be things introduced in civ 3, 4, 5, or call to power and possibility to use them or not. More control/significance of resources, other corruption/waste models, civ specific units/unit types, buildings, small and great wonders - there are tons of things that could be impleneted, and probably every person would like some of them (and another person some others). But I think it wouldnt be to hard to just write them all (things already present in civ games, then things that aren't) and see whats possible to do.
I could help with that.

Top Bottom