Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded - PART II

blas, there already is "Montly Challenge" entry on the left

btw you could remove the bold tag from the old news, as I do for the main page. (nitpicking :p)

good luck with this thing. Don't worry too much about people's habits, you can adjust them as you go on from month to month.

I'm just worried the goals may be so far off that everyone gets the same score (either by failing them all or invariably completing them all...) Oh well, with the goals I have at the moment I doubt that's possible.

@Blas: As a European civ, I usually begin to conquer my neighbours when I have Horse Archers - and I will continue to conquer Europe all the way to Lancers/Cavalry. Then, I build up an army of Colonial Infantry to invade the Americas. Meanwhile, my remaining mounted forces will invade either Asia or the Middle-East. These wars will then continue with Marines and Tanks.

I would happily play RMC games in the future, but I am a little too busy at the moment.

TC, around what year would you say you usually conquer your first enemy capital?

I usually attack early if I have horses or elephants, but only to take territory I want; I stop after one or two cities. Then again and again every few hundred years.

I don't usually fatally harm the enemy, just chip away at them gradually, because I'm really only fighting so my empire can expand, not for the sake of fighting itself. I don't see the point of taking cities I don't want. Guess I'm not a warmonger at heart.

My present Russia game has gone like this:
310 BC - 10AD : destroyed one German city, took another
590 - 1060AD : destroyed a Dutch city, captured/destoyed 4 Byzantine cities and took 1 German city
1280 - 1340: took 2 Greek cities
1480 - 1600: took 2 Spanish cities
1764 - 1880: 6 Mongolian (this was more than usual because I wanted to build the trans-Siberian railway), 2 Roman, 1 Ottoman cities
1908 - 1928: 3 Austrian cities

This was fairly typical of games when I play a European power. I've had Austrian and Roman games follow the same pattern (even without the AI keeps building nice targets all around, as it does for Russia :) ). But when playing the Indians, for example, conquests were very few; it was mostly culture flips. And with Ethiopia I only beat up on Egypt and the Zulus.

Hope this helps.

Conquer enemy capitals? :confused: Almost never do that.

I'm usually giving away techs to them instead :crazyeye: - so they can live up to their real history counterparts.

(I think I'll have to change my style if I'm going to compete in the monthly challenge.)

Blasphemous said:
TC, around what year would you say you usually conquer your first enemy capital?

In typical games, anywhere between 500 bc and 1000 ad. But RMC games will not be typical... if taking an enemy capital early is a goal, then rushing is an obvious tactic.

Okay, thanks everyone for the info. I think the dates I plotted out were better than I thought.
Expect some details about the game to be leaked soon.
Rhye, I'd like some help in setting it up so we can put the RMC rules and scoring info in the pedia... It will be very useful for the contestants to be able to access it while playing.

you could add the civilopedia file together with the starting savegame.
tell me what you want to write on it, I'll give you the edited file. Then you must put it in the right path so that the user unzips it and correctly replace the old one

I just downloaded the ROCX_123 file and at 7% i get a setup.exe error :mad: , so I went and dowloaded all the individual smaller zip files and I get around 25 to 30 corrupt file. :mad: Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

I wrote a guide for the Mongols. Its kinda long (probably needs to be cropped) and I did not spend much time editing it. I'm not proud of it as a piece of writing, but it does the job. Sorry its not better.

Spoiler The Mongolians :

So you think you have what it takes to be Attila the Hun? Or maybe Genghis Khan? How about Kublai Khan? Let’s find out!

The Mongols have what looks to be the worst starting location in the game, besides that of the Inca… but appearances are deceptive! There are enough bonuses and resources to give you the military machine you need to conquer the world right from your backyard. But just in case, send your crafty little scout through the impassable (except for him and his ilk) Himalayas. He will easily be able to meet most of the important early civs in the Middle East, and may even make it all the way to Europe. Another advantage of your starting point is the lack of barbarians… because, after all, you ARE the barbarians.

Get three or four cities around the small lake you start next to, and be sure to do the usual minimalist improvement tricks (one worker, one temple, and one barracks per city). Meanwhile, tech to Mounted Combat and trade for Theocratic Monarchy because its Mangudai time! Were your workers building roads? They should have been! Right now, just get a simple network together (resources, city, and one to target civ China). Once you have achieved this minimum, pump out archers and Mangudai. War!

Meet your unique unit: Mr. Mangudai. He ignores the movement costs of mountains, deserts, and hills (China’s natural defenses). He moves three squares in a single turn. He blitzes. Even better, he does not cost a lot of money! Beware of his weak defense; he should not be left motionless near an enemy, because the risk of death is too great. Make sure that you always have a small complement of defenders for them to hide behind, or your conquests will evaporate like mist in a Chinese dawn.

NOTE: A good policy is to wait for mainland China to be fully colonized. This allows you to feast on rice you did not sow!

Now you need a war. Once the network is complete, attack! Do not foolishly waste your men in an attack on the enemy capital! You play Go, not Tic-Tac-Toe! Let the enemy come to you. His troops will be wearied by crossing the Gobi; strike them then! Try and attack twice (or even three times!) with your Mangudai; you are doing this to get a leader, not to amuse yourself! Once you do have one, fill it with your best soldiers: Elite Mangudai. The advantage of being able to attack four times in a single turn with a 21 HP army should not be… “misunderestimated”.

Now that you have a fist, smash your foe. China will fall if you keep up a steady stream of Mangudai… and archers. NEVER underestimate the importance of these steady defenders. The enemy will impale himself on their strength, wasting soldier after soldier in countless fruitless attacks.

Now you need to move your capital from the barren homeland. Build a new Palace in Beijing (the best way being to farm another leader off the Koreans) and administer your domain from it. You have gained the Mandate of Heaven!

Korea will fall with barely a push. You may even be able to wipe them out of the game entirely in a single putsch.

Japan will be your only real threat. The Samurai is a deadly foe, more than capable of trashing even your hardened soldiers when he is defending his homeland. There is no real reason to invade this tiny, poor island, as even your best mounted troops will be at a disadvantage (5A Keshik vs. 4D Samurai, and 3A Samurai vs. 2D Keshik… and they get a +1 bonus to hp), and it will provide nothing of value.

Instead, look to the west. The Europeans will have already begun filling Siberia with tiny colonies. Obliterate them, and move toward their centers of power. Or, alternatively, move south against the Indians and the Middle Eastern countries, many of whom will be just as ripe for the picking.

With the powerhouse of China pumping out workers, wonders, and Keshiks, an invasion of any power in Eurasia is possible and probable. The world is yours; bring peace from horizon to horizon.

WizzBang said:
I just downloaded the ROCX_123 file and at 7% i get a setup.exe error :mad: , so I went and dowloaded all the individual smaller zip files and I get around 25 to 30 corrupt file. :mad: Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

you have probably some connection problems. Try re-downloading

For the ai, I give them a 6. For a human, a 8. Its a difficult start if you arent experienced with the mod, but a player who knows its quirks can easily dominate with them.

Has anyone ever tried to play Byzantine? They are by far the toughest civ I have tried. I only managed to build 1 city before the austrians and greeks overan all other nearby settling spots. I then got my ass whopped by the Romans at about 0ad.

Aeon221 said:
For the ai, I give them a 6. For a human, a 8. Its a difficult start if you arent experienced with the mod, but a player who knows its quirks can easily dominate with them.
Is that considered in the score? And on the Rhye Civ scoring, would that be a 3.5?

As I stated earlier, I hate the Mongolians (from a Korean Civ standpoint, anyway :) ), but I will try them now with this strategy guide to help. Last time I tried colonizing too quickly to the West and got two settlers destroyed by the Tartar hordes! :mad:

Happy Civving, all!
SilverKnight

Top Bottom