Sulla's Civilization IV Walkthrough

I've been waiting for this! People like Trip who are firaxian, they should get another screen name and put ideas out or just random tidbits or something. That way they could get the info out and help us all. We all thank you!

What is with all these people with wifes playing? Do nerd marry in droves or something?

No, I only married one. Not a drove. :D

We met on the internet almost 10 years ago...married almost 8 1/2 years.

The first game we played together was Civ2 Networked. Since then we've played a bunch of games together, including single player games where she reads the walkthru and I play it (Jade Empire right now). Would make an interesting thread in off topic: If you play games with your significant other, what games have you played?

Yep, thanks for this Sullla, you are an absolute CHAMP!!! One thing I noticed is how both sickness and unhappiness are growing at the equivalent of 1 per population point. That seems inordinately harsh to me-how did YOU find it though? Also, can your improvements/civics settings only impact the POSITIVE side of the ledger (i.e. health and happiness), or can they also impact the NEGATIVE side too (say, an improvement that reduces unhappiness by one, and not increase happiness by one-if that makes sense)?

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

I just noticed something-- has using the river like a road been dropped? All the screenshots show rivers along the square edges like Civ3 whereas in Civ2 the rivers moved through the square.

excellent work, thanks a lot.

i do agree with the other poster.
to delay it is...uhh... a little...uhhh

interesting....

Once i get the game i doubt if i'll care at all about your hard work.
i'll be too busy playing.

but your choice.

as for the remark about girls...

they're pretty cool, check 'em out.
( I'm 51, by the way.)

Playshogi, rivers were never going to act as roads insofar as unit movement went, but they are going to act as 'roads' for the purposes of trade!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Aussie_Lurker said:
Playshogi, rivers were never going to act as roads insofar as unit movement went, but they are going to act as 'roads' for the purposes of trade!

Doh! Thanks!

Questions Answered! :)

Ex Mudder said:
How is Terra different than the original 3 options? Is it all land no water? or is it Earth?

Terra is a map designed to function like Earth. Rather than try to explain it myself, I'll cut and paste from the Map Scripts guide written up by the map's creator (I don't know if the Map Scripts guide is shipping with the game or not, sorry).

=====
Terra
=====

Global Map: World Wrap left to right
Huge Oceanic Map: 104 plots wide, 64 plots tall, at "Standard" map size
Bigger than Civ3!!! Terra maps are BIGGER THAN equivalent Civ3 maps of the same sizes!

Simulates Earth: Randomly generated landmasses that roughly simulate Earth's continents!
Old World Start: All civs start in the "Old World", equivalent to Asia-Europe-Africa
New World: The "New World", equivalent of the Americas, will have to be discovered
Third World: Some small landmasses or island chains may be reachable from Old World

Ex Mudder said:
Can you explain why you moved southWEST instead of south? You would still have had the horses and a water connection, and you could have placed a second city on the coast (grassland forest to the left of the stone) with minimal overlap.

I moved mostly to be next to the horses, and to avoid losing a grassland hill tile. I had no clue what most of the surrounding territory looked like at that point. I certainly wasn't thinking about squeezing in a fishing village later - much more important to grab a strong capital site first! :D

jimkirk said:
all those map choices wow is gameplay a little different depending on the map type?terrain type?do resources look different ? kinda like civ 3 with the different terrain types (aka snoopy, or rhyes or the warhammer mod map etc.)

Obviously certain maps play out differently; an Archipelago map is not going to be the same as a Pangaea map any more than was the case in Civ3. Some of the maps do all kinds of crazy stuff, like have poles at the EAST and WEST rather than north and south, or consist of all land with no water at all, or mirror the terrain exactly down a line in the center of the map. Many of these are intended for MP, but they can all be played in SP as well. As far as how the maps LOOK, that's a graphics mod question. I'm sure that you'll be able to download fan-created graphics soon enough, but none of the map scripts actually do that. They just drawn maps based around certain parameters.

Aussie_Lurker said:
Yep, thanks for this Sullla, you are an absolute CHAMP!!! One thing I noticed is how both sickness and unhappiness are growing at the equivalent of 1 per population point. That seems inordinately harsh to me-how did YOU find it though? Also, can your improvements/civics settings only impact the POSITIVE side of the ledger (i.e. health and happiness), or can they also impact the NEGATIVE side too (say, an improvement that reduces unhappiness by one, and not increase happiness by one-if that makes sense)?

Aussie, each population point adds one point of unhappiness and unhealthiness. You generally need to acquire resources and/or build city improvements to counteract that as your cities grow in size. The system works very well in practice, as you'll see in time. Rather than forced city size limits (6 and 12, as in Civ3), your cities grow dynamically throughout the game. Civics increase the happiness limit instead of removing unhappiness - the effect is the same, and it's MUCH less confusing that way. You could PROBABLY mod it to have that effect if you wanted, but I can't say conclusively on that one.

playshogi said:
I just noticed something-- has using the river like a road been dropped? All the screenshots show rivers along the square edges like Civ3 whereas in Civ2 the rivers moved through the square.

Rivers serve as roads for the purpose of trade networks; ie if your cities are both on the same river, they are connected to the same trade network and can share resources. At no point in time were rivers ever intended to provide a movement bonus (this may have been misreported by some gaming sites that misunderstood the concept).

I'll try to answer more questions as they come up. Also - Part Two has been added. :)

Sullla said:
<snip - thanks>
I moved mostly to be next to the horses, and to avoid losing a grassland hill tile. I had no clue what most of the surrounding territory looked like at that point. I certainly wasn't thinking about squeezing in a fishing village later - much more important to grab a strong capital site first! :D

And here I though it was because you wanted the cash from all those coastal squares.

::confused: Whats so big about the Grassland Hill? The 1 food? I figured the plains hill would be better (4 hammers when mined, vs 1/3). But I can see why you'd want both.

Sullla said:
I'll try to answer more questions as they come up. Also - Part Two has been added. :)

But not linked to from the previous page :/

http://www.kalikokottage.com/civ3/sullla/civ4_walk_2.html

edit: lovely review. Out of curiosity, how many hammers do scouts and chariots cost?

(edit) Very nice. Part II is extremely thorough.

Squares bordering a river normally gain a gold piece, but I don't see this on the walkthrough images for the tile that was settled on. Do cities gain gold simply by existing, or does the gold piece coming from that square originate from the river?

(My apologies for the rather labyrinthine language.)

Also, may I ask if the free obelisks from Stonehenge vanish when Calendar is researched?

that second part is awesome. very nice indeed. =D

Top Bottom