10 Things You Aren't Doing in BNW (But Should)

I have 1 more little tip to add for the new players (well I'm new myself): You can research Mining to chop down the forest, bringing more production for your city to speed up the wonders you want in the early game. More often that not I just got lazy and automated the workers, but it doesnt seem very optimal in higher level (I've started on emperor in my last 3 games or so).

#2 worked in g+K as well. I've traded an absolutely horrible, snow capped Austrian city to Sully for all his luxes, gold and GPT.

These are my top ten things new players should be doing in BNW but are not:

10. Pillage - Pillaging enemy improvements damages the improvement making it unusable by the enemy. It also gives +25 health and some gold. AI will consider surrendering if you are devastating their territory.
9. Use Great Generals to create Citadels - The AI cannot figure out how to take out a Citadel and will waste endless units on it. Any enemy unit ending it's turn on or adjacent to a Citadel automatically takes -30 damage. You don't need to have a unit stationed inside for this benefit! However, it is worth having a unit that can absorb some punishment because the Zones of Control will mean any enemy moving through the area will end more turns on or near the Citadel. The Citadel also steals territory so it's fun to rob an AI when they spawn near you of their precious luxuries.

I did this all the time pre-BNW, but the AI has been improved; it will often move back from citadels, but more importantly AI units faced with an empty citadel, or which succeed in taking one, will now pillage it almost every time (as opposed to almost never in the past)

8. Open Tradition, Liberty, and Honor - The opener for all three policies gives you culture which you need to get even more policies. Additionally, each make a Wonder available to build. Don't bother going down a single policy path until you've opened all three. And the Tradition opener gives you +3 Culture per turn for the entire game so it helps you open other policies faster if you go Tradition first. Some will debate the value of opening Honor but if you turn on Raging Barbarians, the Honor opener outshines Liberty in culture production.

In my experience, in BNW Raging Barbarians are on by default...

7. Build an Archer - A pop 3 city with an Archer can usually hold off an AI invasion force of three warriors and three archers. The game is highly skewed towards defense in the early game making warfare a losing proposition for attackers.

I thought this was things people should be doing but aren't? Who doesn't build an archer?

6. Open Patronage and Open Consulates, Then Promise to Protect Every City State - For the cost of two social policies, you can become Friendly with every City State on the map and gain all of their attendant bonuses. This is required if you have Venice, Greece, and/or Austria in the game and you don't want them to win early with a Diplomatic Victory.

It's irrelevant for Venice. Venice eats city-states, it doesn't ally with them.

5. Build a Scout as Your First Build - Scouts with Honor opened are great Barbarian killers at the beginning of the game. Don't try to explore the world with your Warrior. It's too slow and can't get to goody huts before the AI. A Scout popping a single goody hut will pay for itself in early Science, gold, population, culture or faith.

Again, this is the default build order - Scout-Monument-X-Y-Z is what basically everyone does already.

4. Use Internal Trade Routes - The food and production hammers generated by an internal trade route are bonuses. They don't take away any food or production from the city of origin. This is counter-intuitive and most players don't realize it. Bonus food is especially critical has high Pop cities are very important.

I've yet to run into anyone who isn't using food trade extensively; I usually only have one or two food routes. I'll use production routes in most games, but usually not for an extended period - unfortunately Metal Casting is badly-placed to have workshops to set production routes for key early Wonders.

3. It's Better to Be Broke Than Unhappy - Falling into the red with negative gold per turn will pull from Science but it won't cripple you. Falling into negative happiness (unhappiness) is far more destructive. It stops your city growth (which is critical as one Pop 30 city is worth six Pop 10 cities). It also reduces production and war fighting ability. And you need production as it is often the only viable way to boost Happiness with new buildings. Losing a war is always bad period. If you are broke, you can always immediately disband your Workers for some quick cash and get a boost to gold per turn.

The production penalty makes it much harder to ignore negative happiness than previously, it's true, but on balance lack of money is more serious in the short term (if you suffer either in the long term, you've already lost). Every negative point of gold is one entire population point's worth of science (before assorted modifiers) being lost every turn; usually negative happiness won't stall growth so much that your growth is falling by an equivalent amount. And while you could more or less happily stay on -1 gpt for a while, you aren't going to be on -1 gpt. What's more, being in the negative economically makes it basically impossible to build - you can't afford to sustain more maintenance costs when every new building costs a population's-worth of science. You won't be able to either build defensive units or field a large enough army to convince a defeated AI rival to surrender (believe me I tried, just a few days ago). It's easier to expand on negative happiness than on negative gold.

Negative gold has another very serious implication: it's not positive gold. At higher difficulties, it can be absolutely critical to buy a settler or a key science building at certain junctures rather than to produce them. That makes it very important to maintain a positive income. Negative happiness isn't anything like as serious a cost - it delays already slow-burning natural Golden Ages a bit more, at a game stage when they don't much benefit you anyway.

That was what I was thinking, too. Plus, I would be concerned about the hit that we take on science with each city we own or control.

I do have a question regarding citadels, though. Does the damage stack? If I have three citadels, spaced one hex apart, and someone tries to thread between them, will their unit take damage from more than one citadel on the same turn?

No, they don't stack - it's a flat -30 if the unit ends within range of at least one citadel.

These are my top ten things new players should be doing in BNW but are not:

10. Pillage - Pillaging enemy improvements damages the improvement making it unusable by the enemy. It also gives +25 health and some gold. AI will consider surrendering if you are devastating their territory.
9. Use Great Generals to create Citadels - The AI cannot figure out how to take out a Citadel and will waste endless units on it. Any enemy unit ending it's turn on or adjacent to a Citadel automatically takes -30 damage. You don't need to have a unit stationed inside for this benefit! However, it is worth having a unit that can absorb some punishment because the Zones of Control will mean any enemy moving through the area will end more turns on or near the Citadel. The Citadel also steals territory so it's fun to rob an AI when they spawn near you of their precious luxuries.
8. Open Tradition, Liberty, and Honor - The opener for all three policies gives you culture which you need to get even more policies. Additionally, each make a Wonder available to build. Don't bother going down a single policy path until you've opened all three. And the Tradition opener gives you +3 Culture per turn for the entire game so it helps you open other policies faster if you go Tradition first. Some will debate the value of opening Honor but if you turn on Raging Barbarians, the Honor opener outshines Liberty in culture production.
7. Build an Archer - A pop 3 city with an Archer can usually hold off an AI invasion force of three warriors and three archers. The game is highly skewed towards defense in the early game making warfare a losing proposition for attackers.
6. Open Patronage and Open Consulates, Then Promise to Protect Every City State - For the cost of two social policies, you can become Friendly with every City State on the map and gain all of their attendant bonuses. This is required if you have Venice, Greece, and/or Austria in the game and you don't want them to win early with a Diplomatic Victory.
5. Build a Scout as Your First Build - Scouts with Honor opened are great Barbarian killers at the beginning of the game. Don't try to explore the world with your Warrior. It's too slow and can't get to goody huts before the AI. A Scout popping a single goody hut will pay for itself in early Science, gold, population, culture or faith.
4. Use Internal Trade Routes - The food and production hammers generated by an internal trade route are bonuses. They don't take away any food or production from the city of origin. This is counter-intuitive and most players don't realize it. Bonus food is especially critical has high Pop cities are very important.
3. It's Better to Be Broke Than Unhappy - Falling into the red with negative gold per turn will pull from Science but it won't cripple you. Falling into negative happiness (unhappiness) is far more destructive. It stops your city growth (which is critical as one Pop 30 city is worth six Pop 10 cities). It also reduces production and war fighting ability. And you need production as it is often the only viable way to boost Happiness with new buildings. Losing a war is always bad period. If you are broke, you can always immediately disband your Workers for some quick cash and get a boost to gold per turn.
2. Sell Minor Conquested Cities To The AI - Cities are often rubbish after a conquest. The people are unhappy, the best buildings have been destroyed, and you generally have to invest some gold into making it a viable addition to your empire. It's much more strategically useful to have another AI take over the city. They act as a buffer and can make two distant civs share a border. If they are belligerent with each other, it may spark a war between the two.
1. Liberate Crap Cities and Annex Capitals- Bringing City States and dead Civs back to life often gives you an ally for the rest of the game. But always keep a Capital for yourself. They are often worth investing in to make them a viable city in your empire. Especially if they have Wonders and Great Works of Art.

Responses to OP's 10 points:
10. Yes, but it depends on your goal. If you want to capture cities, then don't pillage the LR's, unless you have liberty and some workers available.
9. Agreed
8. Highly dependent on the type of map and civ. It's a stupid idea if you're on a small/medium island/continent and there are few spots for barbs to spawn due to CS'. On maps like pangaea and non-ocean maps, it's a reasonable strategy. Some civs such as Germany, Songhai and Aztecs benefit a lot from barb (encampments).
7. Depends on situation again. It's usually a good approach because of barbs but I somewhat disagree that 1 archer + city bombard can off an army of 3 archers and 3 warriors. The most irritating thing would be severely wounding a warrior until it regains half its hp next turn.
6. Post-patch, it ain't that great unless you are Portugal or Venice.
5. Agreed
4. Agreed
3.slightly agree but deficits can also forcibly disband your troops if negative gpt is really high. It is always a problem when you take a non-tradition tree (monarchy).
2. Again, depends on situation. Works well for captured cities on other continents. Doesn't work so well if the captured city is near you. The AI then has a future nuke haven.
1. Agreed, unless the said liberated CS or civ has multiple LR's of the same kind.

I wish to add my own points too:
1. Need tourism for countering ideological pressure. It's just too common in my MP games. Just about all my MP opponents in BNW ignore tourism, especially warmongers. It's also good to keep all your victory paths open. Another point to add: great works generate culture too! Early culture bombing with GW's is just wasteful.
2. If your gpt is going well, rush buying settlers avoids the hassle of producing them and stalling growth. Also focus on production bonus when building settlers and remember to change back.
3. If you're on a confined map, full tradition is a must. Or at least the landed elite and monarchy bonuses.
4. Don't bother getting the great library unless your production early in game is superb. Most players aim for it, thinking that they'll dominate the rest of the game.
5. Don't put a spy in the capitol of a player or AI that has the tech lead. 90% of the time, they'll have their own spy there, ready to catch your spy. Put your spy in their second best city instead. It may mean a longer wait to grab techs but it also means 100% success, usually, unless they know that you have seen their 2nd city.
6. Puppet recently captured cities that are decent until resistance is gone. Don't annex cities straightaway unless you have Order > Iron curtain.
7. A great way to get strong influence over CS' is to beat the challenges. Best science, faith and culture will give you allies.
8. Unless taking an honor approach as OP mentioned, keep the areas near you revealed to push barb encampments further away. Don't attack them until a CS demands it, but keep a unit close by, ready to take it, as CS' are smart enough to target barb encampments on their own. Use Ptp to clench 5 more influence.
9. Bribe AI opponents to launch attacks on other civs. If there's a turn timer, see if you can do it just before it ends, otherwise other MP civs will know it was you who started the war.
10. If on the coast, always use sea trade routes. In this case, just forget about the land trade routes.

The problem with 8 is that you spend Culture to get Culture, its will make your picks very expansive fast and you are delaying picks that actually will give you something other then more Culture.

In the end if you aren't going for all 3 trees its probably not Worth it.

I like selling Cities that I don't intend to use to Allies because:

1. If Allies (not at war) don't have Borders with your enemy, you can heal without being attacked.
  2. Creates a buffer against more powerful enemies.
  3. Some cities will gain you more gold through sale than use.
  4. Can buy a weak Ally valuable time if they are losing cities before you can help.

If U play with reduced AI players for a given map size, on continents or pangaea, then U have lots of free space for barb camps and suddenly honor is a good tactic for early culture farming IMHO. Exploration and simultaneous barb killing allows a good early culture grab and I can quickly offset the lost turns for opening honor tree and still reach the free settler in liberty reasonably quickly, while the extra cash from barb camps will push towards the gold required for the next settler also quite quickly. I would not open THREE trees though as the delay to reach free settler becomes too great. I prefer to open honor, then get the liberty settler, then decide on what to do next.

I mostly agree with these, except pledging protection. The only time you should ever do this is when you get a mission for it. And then you want to remove said protection as soon as possible. This gets you influence boosts and you don't have to worry about diplomacy hits (usually). The measly 5 resting points is not worthwhile at all.

I recently played in a game where Japan would bully Wittenberg, I would offer protection AND do the corresponding gold gift mission. After the mandatory 10ish turns I revoked so Japan could bully them again... which in turn triggered the protection mission. This kept me as their ally for the rest of the game with little effort on my part.

My quick checklist for these, speaking as one who is new to Civ V...

10) I do this no problem, something I did in Civ 2 on the Playstation 1 (I still play that game even now).

9) Something new to me, but I started doing that quickly anyway. The reaction from a neighbouring Civ when you create one next to our mutual border is always amusing... :D

8) I haven't yet bothered with Tradition yet, since the in game help says it is best for small Civs, and I concentrate on spamming cities. No doubt that's a terrible noob mistake that'll come back to bite me later on...

7) I've always deployed ranged units early on in my cities, so I suppose that's close enough.

6) I must admit I've been pretty lazy as far as dealing with City States are concerned. Probably a disaster from a diplomacy point of view (especially when the WC comes into play), but I'm still new to the game, so that's my excuse.

5) I know I should do this, but I always build a combat unit first, then a settler. Probably a habit picked up from playing Civ 2...

4) Just started doing that in fact. I hated the old caravans from Civ 2, but I can see this system of internal trade routes in Civ 5 is much more flexible.

3) I've never faced that situation yet. Fingers crossed...

2) I hoard everything I conquer. Letting go is a hard thing to do I suppose, although I can see why this is a good tactic to employ.

1) Again I tend to hold on to as much as I can, but as I get better at the game this will no doubt be an important thing to remember.

Top Bottom