observing odd things in BTS

jm4civ4

Warlord
I just made the leap from WL to BTS!! I bought it from amazon and the CD came with ver 3.13, then I installed HOF 3.13 patch - its a really great game - but I have noticed some strangeness....

1. when I started a new game at the custom screen I did not see "space colony" or "religious" as victory conditions, just the 5 std chioces as in WL

2. in my current game I met the other 6 civs centuries ago, I am trading and fighting them all:crazyeye: but the graph shows only 4 of us, me and 3 others

i apologize if this is the wrong spot for my post, or if this topic has been addressed elsewhere, if anyone can shed light on the above thanks in advance....

1. Religious is under diplomatic victory, meaning that turning it of would turn off both regular and religious diplo win. Not sure what you mean by space colony; space race has been somewhat changed, but that's it.

2. They will appear on the graph when you gain enough espionage points for that particular passive mission (see demographics I think it's called in the espionage screen)

You need to have enough EP against another player to see his power rating. Other weird things are units saying "OH YEAH!" when you get the farm bandits event, and nukes grunting.

2. in my current game I met the other 6 civs centuries ago, I am trading and fighting them all:crazyeye: but the graph shows only 4 of us, me and 3 others

Yes, this is a new feature in BtS. You need to have enough espionage points in order to see their info now. It doesn't require that many so even if you don't put anything extra into your espionage spending it should show up eventually. Another change you might come across, having a religion you've founded present in a foreign city won't allow you to see in that city the way you used to. You need to have a certain amount of espionage points for that as well. However, having your religion there means you don't need as many points. Also, having enough espionage points will allow you to open up a civ's city screen and have a look at what's going on there, just like you can do with your own cities. You can't fiddle with anything though, just have a look.

space colony would be space race. Religious is diplomatic.

OK - Are the new win types treated as subsets of the originals?

Do diplom. and space RACE wins still exist in BTS?

OK - Are the new win types treated as subsets of the originals?

I have no idea what "Space Colony" is. Maybe you were using some sort of mod in WL that had that. It's not in vanilla BTS. BTS still has the space race, and it's been slightly enhanced to include decisions about how many engines and casings to send your rocket ship up with.

"Religious victory" could mean several different things. Some mods implement this as a new victory type. Some people merely use this term to refer to the new type of Diplomatic Victory that you can achieve with the Apostolic Palace in vanilla BTS.

Another thing you'll notice in relation to the power graph thing... You won't be able to see inside of the cities of a religion if you are the founder any more. Only espionage lets you do that now. Pity, since I'm an avid believer in Civ ;)

1) "Space Colony" - no idea what you mean by this. The space race has been adjusted slightly for BtS, but is still a single victory condition. The "religious victory" is simply a subset of the diplomatic victory (with the UN as the other diplomatic option).

2)You need a certain number of espionage points against a civ before you can see its demographics. You don't have sufficient against some of the civs you have met yet.

The BTS Hall of Fame refers to the new space race victory as "Space Colony"...check it out at the Hall Of Fame site...

At least there are not two space race victories. I've never managed to figure out what's the difference between a time and score HOF victory ;)

My understanding is that for HOF Space colony is the BTS space race but space race would be the vanilla race to build a space ship.

In BTS, you build a ship but have to wait for it to launch and travel where as in Vanilla, you just have to be the first to build it.

My understanding is that for HOF Space colony is the BTS space race but space race would be the vanilla race to build a space ship.

In BTS, you build a ship but have to wait for it to launch and travel where as in Vanilla, you just have to be the first to build it.

That is also my take.....

Top Bottom