Succession Game (SG) & Mac Training Day Game (MTDG): Enrollment

dojoboy

Tsalagi
Below is copied & pasted from the Succession thread on the main forum page. It is authored by Pggar.

Succession Game (SG):

A succession game is a Single Player (SP) game played by a group of people.
While playing the person must keep a timeline of the most important events that occur during his reign. When finished, he passes on a saved game to the next player (either by uploading it on the site or by mail) and posts the timeline in the game's thread so that other players are informed of what happened.

It generally works like this. One player (the moderator) opens a thread and post the first timeline log and the first game file. Then other players sign to the game (until the limit set by the game moderator), and the succession begins. Each player plays fixed number of turns (usually 20 turns). The moderator may also add extra rules (usually in the first post).

This can get really interesting as everybody has a different way of playing Civ, and all strategies are tried out in one same game.

Rules normally used:
- 5 players.
- 20 turns.
- 24h confirmation period (you have to say you’re playing; otherwise you’re skipped).
- 48h to 72h (since the saved game was passed) to play the game.

Open Succession Game (OSG):

An open succession doesn’t have a fixed number of players. After one player posts a game file, the next player in the succession will be the first person to post and say he is playing.

OSGs are faster games because the player has a short period of time to play his turn (4h since the person said he was playing, this period gets higher as the late game is a bit slow). That way, every time you get to the forums, there’s a good possibility that you'll find an OSG in which you can play. Another attribute of OSGs is the fact that they hardly stall.

Training Day Game (TDG):

A game where an expert of that level trains newer players. The expert may or may not start off the first 20 turns, after that, the player (trainees) play 10 turns, and post a detailed log for each turn. Play does not resume until the expert has reviewed and commented on the save.

For additional information:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=67

Obviously, Pigumon, Txurce, and I were the only ones who played in the current succession game. By the above outline, in Open Succession Games (OSGs) anyone could play, if interested. The person would just have to post saying they're in; however, since the attachment size for files is at 100k, games need to be emailed or uploaded.

Knowing the players is a huge plus. From my initial experience, I prefer closed games. I feel it allows a player to get to know the various play-styles of the other persons.

Also, sincere players should only apply, because it would be a bummer to have someone sign on and not play. It could cause the other players a long wait, at least 48 - 72 hours.

Now, anything in the Succession Game outline can be altered to meet the needs of the persons invloved. However, we found the 20 turns to be very effective, particularly in later stages of the game. Some turns were played quickly (one day turn around) while others took a couple days. As long as the persons playing communicate through posting updates, things ought to go well.

I'm thinking once a group of 3 - 5 persons get a game going, that game's "moderator" should start a thread (give it a specific title; something historical, humorous, etc.) in the main mac forum for game-play/discussion. This way the players will not have to scroll through several non-specific posts to find their game, and this thread can be used for parring up participants, as well as general (not an actual game) succession game discussions.

I hope some others are interested in giving this game style a shot. It really is a neat experience.

All experience levels are welcome! :)

I really enjoyed our game. Starting up fresh each turn is stimulating in the way a scenario is. And it's always fun to talk about whether to turn left or right. I would play in any subsequent ones, and think the idea of a specific goal and conditions makes it even more interesting.

Me, too.
Yes, it make me feel playing scenario. Before start each period, we have to look through all the map to find out what is immediate plan and what is a long term goal. Which city is in danger and what kind of force are heading there. Which civ to negotiate with and which civ to fight with. And the difference from scenario is we know the history all the way our civilization has. That may be worth to write an replay story.

Unfortunately, I am getting busier. So, I do not think I have enough time for next one. I may contribute to OSGs.

But everyone, cheer up! If you are civ3 lover, you will definitely enjoy this succession game. The 20 turns are long enough to enjoy the game, but too short to define the loser.

This thread is stickied at the request of the thread starter :)

Deity is tough enough that it would require a lot of planning before each turn, as it's very easy to fall too far behind in a very short amount of time. I eased myself into deity by playing with the sr and UN options shut off, which meant that as long as I survived, I would ultimately win, because the AI never wins by domination. If people wanted to try out deity, i would recommend this approach.

However, I'm open to any level. I'm more interested in specific goals and handicaps.

Hi dojoboy & fellow CIVers,

I am new to this forum but am interested in the Sucession game idea (this side of PTW for Mac). I run OS 10.2 on a 17" iMAC with a cable modem connection and have the 1.21g patch installed. I like to pursue technology and an expansionist strategy (does corruption stink ). Need to improve my trading and diplomacy skills.

I tried taking the initial Persian hegemony game through a few turns. I won't spoil things by sending the world map I bought of a passing galley but getting out and about should be the way to bypass the Babylonians to the North.

Note the initial Xerxes 3050 BC file downloaded OK but subsequent downloads changed from the indicated xxxx.sav.zip file into a .php ??? Thanks Beamup for the tips on fixing this download /unzip problem with ResEdit.

I may require some hand-holding on the upload side too. Where is the "upload 3" folder / page ?

PS Do I have to post a few things before I can set my Avatar - the FAQs does actually say how you transfer them from the Avatar page to your profile ?

Originally posted by MacBaldrick

I may require some hand-holding on the upload side too. Where is the "upload 3" folder / page ?

To access the Upload feature, for uploads bigger than 102kb (i believe), scroll down all the way to the bottom of the page and click "Upload File."

PS Do I have to post a few things before I can set my Avatar - the FAQs does actually say how you transfer them from the Avatar page to your profile ?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but i'll try to explain what i can. to change your avatar, click "user cp," and then "edit options". scroll down, and there will be a button to change your avatar.

If you're talking about uploading a custom avatar, you have to wait until you have 300 posts. I believe that was outlined somewhere...

BTW, welcome to CFC!

I am game for trying the SG thing, mostly because I think I will learn a lot from it. I could keep the game and play along after my 20 turns in order to compare with those who are "officially" playing, right?

The rest of you might be setting yourself up for some real challenges, though. As poorly as I apparently play the game, I might be able to (unintentionally) do quite a bit of damage in 20 turns that you-all will have to struggle to overcome..

Heike
:eek:

I'm in too- frankly, I thought I was pretty good until I met some of the players here. I'm up for another SG or a Training Day Game. I'm the trainee, of course!

Dojo- has Persian Hegemony stalled out? That was a really interesting format. I guess SG's progress faster due to the fixed group playing rather than waiting for someone to come along......

Originally posted by dcaint

Dojo- has Persian Hegemony stalled out? That was a really interesting format. I guess SG's progress faster due to the fixed group playing rather than waiting for someone to come along......

dcaint, I'll pick up the OSG and try to get it going again.

Dojoboy,

I'd be very interested in enrolling in either the MTDG or a SG. Is the Greek/Regent game still available? If not, whenever the next game rolls around, please jot my name down on the list of interested players. I'd very much like to take advantage of the expertise so abundantly obvious in this forum.

Thank You.

Raijer, you can jump right in on the latest save for the MTDG, and the latest save of the OSG. I'll put together a SG soon, for 3-4 players. However, anyone is free to start their own SG w/ whatever parameters they wish, people will join.

There hasn't been any post about SGs for about two weeks. Any starting soon? OSG doesn't interest me because I won't be checking the board every hour to post "first". I usually play Civ3 on this settings:

Regent (Win about 90% of games and prepared for Monarch)
Large ~ Huge
Default Barbarian
Continents
Random for others

Top Bottom